armbar101

kentucky "dream team"

Didnt know that about Murton in NAIA, Cooper still would of won just like Metzger and Dunn and Dean. Any of those guys, take your pick Name one person he beat in high school worth talking about, that had any record or big names that had done something. Hell id take Ruschell over Murton also. :)

His sophmore year he had some alright competetition.  Jordan Lewis(State Champ) , Ben Hines and Carlos Rodriguez to name a few.  After that it seemed like everyone tryed to avoid him like the plague.  Hes the best I have seen come through Kentucky in the last 8 years in my opinion.  I think he would have been an AA if he had chose to go D1.

Didnt know that about Murton in NAIA, Cooper still would of won just like Metzger and Dunn and Dean. Any of those guys, take your pick Name one person he beat in high school worth talking about, that had any record or big names that had done something. Hell id take Ruschell over Murton also. :)

Name one guy on the national level that Metzger beat or Cooper?  Murton beat the Senior National Champion that year!  You can't get any better than that!

Name one guy on the national level that Metzger beat or Cooper?  Murton beat the Senior National Champion that year!  You can't get any better than that!

Not to be nit-picky, but wouldn't fargo Junior nationals be better than that?  I agree with your point though.  Murton was better in h.s. than those guys.  Maybe someone could argue Brad Cooper...but not the other guys.  I'd say placing in the Beast of the East as he did, beating this Burroughs guy would put him higher on the list.

Not to be nit-picky, but wouldn't fargo Junior nationals be better than that?  I agree with your point though.  Murton was better in h.s. than those guys.  Maybe someone could argue Brad Cooper...but not the other guys.  I'd say placing in the Beast of the East as he did, beating this Burroughs guy would put him higher on the list.

Well of course Fargo would be as tough or tougher.  But then again, Fargo is freestyle/greco, and senior nationals is folkstyle.  I have seen some wrestlers win fargo and not win senior nationals, and vice versa.

Cooper, in my opinion, is the only one out of those listed by takedownartist who could be mentioned in the same breath as Murton.  Murton didn't lose a single match to Kentucky opponents, and I am pretty sure Cooper didn't lose to in-state competition either during his sophomore, junior, and senior campaigns.  We all know that Metzger lost to in state opponents a few times.  As for Dean (Williams I assume), give me a break, he was only a one time champ.  Dunn has an argument I guess, but he was right before my time, and I just know he was a 3 timer. Maybe someone could help me out with his other accolades?

Well of course Fargo would be as tough or tougher.  But then again, Fargo is freestyle/greco, and senior nationals is folkstyle.  I have seen some wrestlers win fargo and not win senior nationals, and vice versa.

Cooper, in my opinion, is the only one out of those listed by takedownartist who could be mentioned in the same breath as Murton.  Murton didn't lose a single match to Kentucky opponents, and I am pretty sure Cooper didn't lose to in-state competition either during his sophomore, junior, and senior campaigns.   We all know that Metzger lost to in state opponents a few times.  As for Dean (Williams I assume), give me a break, he was only a one time champ.   Dunn has an argument I guess, but he was right before my time, and I just know he was a 3 timer. Maybe someone could help me out with his other accolades?

Dunn won state three times and placed third as a freshman.  His freshman year (96) was the first year they disallowed 8th graders to compete in high school until they recently changed it back.  I'm not sure of the Woodford line-up his 8th grade year but he very well could have started and maybe placed at state.

I also don't know the exact details of Metzker's career but I only know of four losses throughout his career, he probably had one or two more.  However his senior year he was beating Cooper in the finals in a close match (after destroying him 10-1 at state duals earlier in the year) and the ref called a reversal when I don't know if there was even a loss of control.  To be fair the loss of control should have been called to send the match into overtime to let the wrestlers decide the winner but the 2 was called which ended the match.  2x champ (9 and 11) 2nd (12) and a 3rd (10); quite the career if you ask me.

Dunn's 8th grade year was the year we had the different weight classes - 100, 106, 112, 119, 126 ect.....    I think he would've started and place that year as well.

Dunn won state three times and placed third as a freshman.  His freshman year (96) was the first year they disallowed 8th graders to compete in high school until they recently changed it back.  I'm not sure of the Woodford line-up his 8th grade year but he very well could have started and maybe placed at state.

I also don't know the exact details of Metzker's career but I only know of four losses throughout his career, he probably had one or two more.  However his senior year he was beating Cooper in the finals in a close match (after destroying him 10-1 at state duals earlier in the year) and the ref called a reversal when I don't know if there was even a loss of control.  To be fair the loss of control should have been called to send the match into overtime to let the wrestlers decide the winner but the 2 was called which ended the match.  2x champ (9 and 11) 2nd (12) and a 3rd (10); quite the career if you ask me.

Oh, it was an incredible career, no doubt about it. 

jpizar83 - not trying to knock metzker at all, but didn't Brad Cooper beat him and the other cooper pretty handily at state duals that year?  Or at some point in that season?  I mention it because even though metzker was awesome, Brad was better that year. 

I'm sorry, but I don't think any of those guys are better than Murton.  Cooper is the only one who could be mentioned in the same sentence as him, and I would still take Murton any day of the week.  Murton got 3rd in the NAIA nationals his freshman year.   In high school he wrestled a couple of big names, including Jordan Burroughs, whom Murton defeated rather handily.  Burroughs might be worth mentioning considering that he only went on to win senior nationals that year, and is currently the #1 ranked 157 pounder in Division 1.

yeah he got third at naia nationals, but if im not mistake and please let me know if i am, but wasn't that behind cooper and didnt cooper tech or major dec. murton in C.U. vs. U.C. dual?

yeah he got third at naia nationals, but if im not mistake and please let me know if i am, but wasn't that behind cooper and didnt cooper tech or major dec. murton in C.U. vs. U.C. dual?

I think that was Jairus Murton, not Jacob, that Cooper beat.

I think it is Jacob got 3rd at Nats, and Jarius got schooled by Cooper.  I always felt Jacob was a lot better then Jarius.  Both were great wrestlers though.

I think it is Jacob got 3rd at Nats, and Jarius got schooled by Cooper.  I always felt Jacob was a lot better then Jarius.  Both were great wrestlers though.

i have to agree....both were great but i think jacob was alittle better all around. cant see what he does in naia in a year or two..

From what I have been hearing his wrestling days may be over completely.  I know he didnt wrestle the 1st half of this year with a injury I believe.  I havn't been seeing him in any of there results.  Someone posted the Murtons are helping out with Lawrence County now.  Anyone know for sure?

jpizar83 - not trying to knock metzker at all, but didn't Brad Cooper beat him and the other cooper pretty handily at state duals that year?  Or at some point in that season?  I mention it because even though metzker was awesome, Brad was better that year. 

I don't know if Brad Cooper and Metzker ever wrestled, it would have been on hell of a match, the two best wrestlers one weight class apart.  I agree with you I think Brad was a little better though.  I know for sure that Metzker beat Scott Cooper from LaRue at state duals pretty bad their senior years and then Scott won in the state finals.

I don't know if Brad Cooper and Metzker ever wrestled, it would have been on hell of a match, the two best wrestlers one weight class apart.  I agree with you I think Brad was a little better though.  I know for sure that Metzker beat Scott Cooper from LaRue at state duals pretty bad their senior years and then Scott won in the state finals.

Check your records again. They didn't wrestle at duals that year. The match where Metzker beat Scott was in early december that year. Scott's loss at state duals was against Simon Kenton's Brad Cooper.

Well he still beat him pretty good, something like 10-1.  If they had wrestled ten times I would bet Metzker would win eight, definitely the better wrestler.

Well he still beat him pretty good, something like 10-1.  If they had wrestled ten times I would bet Metzker would win eight, definitely the better wrestler.

Yeah, but who walked away from the podium with the gold.  In the end, that is what counts.