NKYWrestler

Youth Wrestling Bylaw 12

Please indicate your vote.  

1. 1. Please indicate your vote.

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs improvement.

Bylaw 12.  Repeating grades

Wrestlers repeating a grade for any reason are ineligible to participate in KSYWA events during the second year in that grade.  The president may grant a waiver for this in a case where there has been documentation by the attending physician that, principal and superintendent that severe illness or injury has prevented the student from receiving necessary education services and the right to an education has therefore been impacted rather than simply the loss of athletic privilege.  Such grant of waiver may only be made in the cases of which the student-athlete would remain eligible by all other KSYWA bylaws.

We really need to look at this for elementary--have we thought about the fact that the primary program in the state of Kentucky does not recognize grade levels until 4th grade--children are placed where it is academically appropriate for each subject area--they may be in a 3rd grade reading class and a 2nd grade math class (known as P4 and P3 instead of grade levels).  I agree that if we go with an age classification participation should be left up to the parents unless safety is a concern.  I do however think we should put an age cap on elementary participation.

I agree with this law

The point of this by law is that education is important.  If a student has failed a grade they probably need to spend more time on their school work than on the wrestling mat.

grappler-of-old

This bylaw has little to do with a student who failed.  If you look at the bylaw you can get a waiver if you have a medical reason to stay back.  This bylaw is design to punish you who choice to stay back for any reason. This is simular to the middle school bylaw with the same process.  I believe we need to leave it up to the parents and child to make choices which are best for them and not have bylaws to try to limit hold backs.  How does a youth who stay back but is wrestling youth his age and weight have an unfair adventage?

This could encourage parents not to hold their kid back.  Some parents are obsessive when it comes to sports.  If the kid needs to be held back let him be held back without repercussion.  There isn't another sport out there that prevents kids from competing during elementary school after being held back.  Not to mention it will be based on age not grade.

I think an age classification is a better way of doing this.

If a child needs to academicaly repeat a grade, that decision should be up to the parents and school. Wrestling should not be a reason, especially at such a young age. If we have this bylaw based upon age, there is no issue based upon "fairness".

As for educational performance and participation, shouldn't that be up to the parents?