Sign in to follow this  
archibaldhumperdink

Pin or tech

Do you wrestle to pin or to tech someone  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wrestle to pin or to tech someone

• pin
    • tech

Would you rather win your matches by pins or techs?

When I wrestled I didn't even follow the score while wrestling.  I figured it didn't matter as long as I caught the guy eventually and pinned. 

Some guys wrestle the whole match never attempting to turn a guy but rather looking for cheap tilt points to stay ahead till the end.  Is this the new way of the sport.  When I think of wrestling I think of pinning a guy as the ultimate reward.

Has the pin lost its luster, is it not as important these days?  I know pins are worth more points but the more guys I coach, the more I see them not thinking pin but just trying to get by with a point or two more till the end.  I understand in some cases this is necessary but there are guys out there that wrestle every match this way. 

What are your thoughts on this............?

Most of the time i go for a pec (pin while you tech them) so i guess it seems as though im goin for a tech until i get a twelve point lead then i go for a pin

It depends. I always want a pin for the points but sometimes it's nice to know that you can just absolutly run a clinic on somebody.  :-D

Unfortunately archibaldhumperdink wrestling has made the turn to tilts and tech pins. 

Look at the changes in the rules over the last 20 years.  20 years ago (when I wrestled) you could not choose neutral in the second or third period.  There were no optional starts, you had to wrestle on the mat with your opponent.  Or at least start that way.

We also did not have tech pins. 

The way stalling is now called on the top wrestler the bottom wrestler does not need to do much.

Today we call stalling when the top wrestler continues to break down their opponent.  We don't warn the bottom wrestler for not trying to get up or score a reversal. 

I like the pin.  It is the ultimate goal of wrestling.  I know you can't pin everyone but you should be trying to pin them.  Tilts that have no chance of pinning your opponent are starting to dominate the sport and IMO is changing the sport. Is the change for the good or bad, depends on your feelings, as a purest its not a good thing.  But I'm stuck in the Dino age anyway.

I know what you are all saying but i think trends are moving towards setting kids up for college where the the tilt,turns, and riding time are the focus, so i think our kids are trying to improve those areas so they will be looked at for college.

It depends. I always want a pin for the points but sometimes it's nice to know that you can just absolutly run a clinic on somebody.  :-D

it is nice to know that your just that much better then someone, but im just happy with a win, tech or pin

once i get into the 2nd period and the kid is absolutely horrible then i go for the tech. it's more embarrassing. but at the start i look to pin every opponent.

Get rid of the tech and beat them by 100.  A pin proves nothing.  Beat someone by 50 and the kid will walk off the mat and think man... that guy could have no arms and legs and still beat me by 20.  You pin a kid in the 1st period and he'll walk off saying.... I can do better.  Chew em up and spit em out.  You will also get MVW's.  People will come to watch you.  You will get in better shape.  The sport will grow.

Get rid of the tech and beat them by 100.  A pin proves nothing.  Beat someone by 50 and the kid will walk off the mat and think man... that guy could have no arms and legs and still beat me by 20.  You pin a kid in the 1st period and he'll walk off saying.... I can do better.  Chew em up and spit em out.  You will also get MVW's.  People will come to watch you.  You will get in better shape.  The sport will grow.

well said

well said

this would be fine if wrestling was all takedowns if that happened people would forget about backpoints comepletely its not a good idea!.....THE WHOLE IDEA OF TECHING SOMEONE ISNT TAKING THEM DOWN....you have to score form ALL positions and cant do this by teching someone unless you tilt which will help you in college!

So you are also in favor of College football teams running up the score on their opponents. 

Pins are what people come to see.  Do you watch boxing for the decision or for a knockout.  Do you watch baseball for the moving of players over or the home run.  Do you watch football for the field goal or the touchdown? 

You should not be trying to get MVW's.  The wrestlers that are feared are those that destroy you by pinning you and you can't do anything about it.  Finish the match and leave no doubt in your opponents mind.  The let em up take em down has hurt wrestling.  I hear so many people complain about this.  This is what the Tech pin and tilts have given us.

The one aspect in wrestling that makes this sport great is the sportsmanship of it.  embarrassing your opponent is unsportsmanlike, if you are trying to pin someone you won't score 20-30 points.

Yes.  Run the score up.  I would want your best.  Not your pity.  If your 50 points better than I am then it's unsportsmanlike for you not to beat me that bad.  I did wrestle for the MVW.  Wasn;t enough to win my weight class.  I wanted to be the best.  Aim high.  Takedown's are the only way to wrestle in my book.  However my book is not well read.   

Takedown's are the only way to wrestle in my book.  

How ironic that you name in 3/4 nelson.  Which is neither a takedown or a tilt.  :lol:

Shouldn't you be called "sweep single" or "firemancarry" or "lateraldrop".  :?

HA!  You never did a standing 3/4 for a takedown?

It does make me sad you said people complain about takedowns.  I am lost where this sport is headed.

I guess it's good conner is in the state that is then. 

I've never done a 3/4 for a takedown.  (I can't imagine how you would)

I have done a front quarter headlock for a takedown.  Maybe this is the same thing just different name. 

They were not complaining about the takedowns, just the idea of letting them up then taking them down again, over and over again.  Like I said people want to see a pin.

I've never done a 3/4 for a takedown.  (I can't imagine how you would)

I have done a front quarter headlock for a takedown.  Maybe this is the same thing just different name. 

They were not complaining about the takedowns, just the idea of letting them up then taking them down again, over and over again.  Like I said people want to see a pin.

Grappler of old what is your back ground in wrestling what high school you wrestle for?

Grappler of old what is your back ground in wrestling what high school you wrestle for?

My background is and was (a wrestler and coach), and papa of a wrestler now. 

As to where.  Sorry Mr. Fuller but that is information best kept a secret.

I did however wrestle in Nky in the 1980's

And just to make things interesting we (you and I) have talked before.

like it or not high school wrestling is moving closer and closer to freestyle wrestling.  

Before we know it we will spend 90% of our time on our feet.  Pins will be a thing of the past and wrestlers will be trying to get those 15 points as fast as they can.  

I like a good takedown person, but you have to admit nothing gets you more hyped, than hearing the ref smack the mat for a pin.   Kinda gets your blood flowing being able to look down into the face of your opponent when the ref smacks the mat for the pin.

I've always found it uneventful when recieving a tech pin.  I think that tech pinning an opponent is probably easier than pinning my opponent.  

A one dimensional wrestler can tech pin his opponent, as long as he can wrestle on his feet.  Just look at the kid from Eastern, (Davis I think) A first year wrestler that was good at 1 or 2 moves on his feet.  Not very exciting.

well you hate my wrestling and i think i know who you are but i thought you only ran cross country

Cross country are you kidding me.  I absolutely hate running.  Did enough of that just trying to make weight.  I can't believe people actually run for fun.  :-o

well you hate my wrestling

I think those are Strong words.  I don't hate your wrestling I do however think your style can be greatly improved.  I keep watching and waiting for you to pull off the great move.  It never seems to happen. 

You could be one of the great ones if you only took a chance.  Take Byrd for example.  He goes for it, ya gotta go for the legs.  drop step, drop step, drop step. 

contrary to popular believe HWT's can shoot and be successful at it.  Your big and strong and quick enough to do it.  Mix in a fireman and a throw every once in awhile and your more than dangerous, and you will be standing on top of the podium at the end of the season.