Sign in to follow this  
archibaldhumperdink

weight room

Are there any guys out there who seem to have a grasp on technique but really need to get in the weight room to seperate themselves from the pack?? 

Also is there anyone out there who thinks the weight room made the difference for them this year???

To anyone interested in wrestling in college, if you want to succeed you had better hit the weight room and hit it hard.  Look at this way, everyone in college is a state champ, and they're all very strong.  Also I wouldn't advise cutting a lot of weight either, unless that's the only way you're going to make the lineup.

I know most of Union lifts in the offseason as well as a few people do during the season. Jarvis Elam lifts like crazy. His strength has proven to make him better only being a first time varsity. Strength doesn't play a major role but it wouldn't hurt to hit the weights in the offseason. It can only make you better.

i would say that if dusty brown didnt spend his summer eating or laying on the couch all day instead of lifting he probably would have made some more noise down at state this year

I think that lifting weights  plays a role in wrestling but thats not all it takes becaus 99.9% of the time if you put strength against technique ,technique will prevail

Hitting the weight room can go both ways. In my case, 95% of what I need is strength. I lost 90% of my matches this year because of strength, 5% due to cutting weight = no energy, and the other 5% was because I was wrestling Thueneman lol. But anyways.. If you look at Cael Sanderson, he isn't a physical specimen, which goes to show its not all about lifting weights. Its really about being explosive in every move you do, and not doing it unless you know you will get it.

stay with core exercises, light weight until technique is mastered. 

squats, dead lifts, cleans, back.  don't be a meathead and hit the bench press followed up by biceps, you won't get anywhere. 

There are some great programs out there, find one and stick to it. 

Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition

stay with core exercises, light weight until technique is mastered. 

squats, dead lifts, cleans, back.  don't be a meathead and hit the bench press followed up by biceps, you won't get anywhere. 

There are some great programs out there, find one and stick to it. 

Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition

Grapplehed, you hit the nail on the head with that advice. I would add plyometric (explosive) workouts as well. Do your research and get the technique correct first. How you train and practice is how you will proform when the time comes.