Sign in to follow this  
CoachMedders

Very exciting State Finals -notes

Outside the convention center, the night was cold, but the action inside was hot!

The arena was filled with painted team-mates, glow sticks and music to cause the air to raise chill bumps on my arms. I was ready for the action to start.

103- Martin vs. Bradbury

Bradbury starts by getting in on a nice single, but Martin defends well and gets the first takedown. Martin rides tough on top for the rest of the period.

Martin takes bottom and gets a quick escape. Bradbury gets in on another nice shot, but cannot seem to find a finish; stalemate. Bradbury attacks the legs again, but Martin scores defending the good shot.

Bradbury takes bottom, Martin rides tough on top with a good western hook and cross-face. Martin, still on top, anchors in a good cross body ride and ends the match trying to score with a churrella.  Martin controlled Bradbury, winning 5-0.

112-Evans vs. Sullivan

At the end of an intense first period Evans finishes a nice double leg takedown and stays on top.

Evans scores again with another double and a quick set of backs. Evans is showing a lot of talent controlling the match with a good cross body ride. Third period: Evans takes top and works back to the cross body ride to tie Sullivan up with a guillotine and looks for the pin.

Sullivan breaks free, rolling Evans through to his back. Evans fights off, but Sullivan sinks in a deep wing and stacks Evans getting the come-from-behind fall.  Sullivan wins by fall.

119- Zarth vs. Chiu

Zarth gets the first takedown and starts working on top. Zarth gets Chiu split with a nice navy ride on the legs and gets two near fall points.  Zarth takes bottom to start the 2nd period. Chiu works legs on top but gets too high giving Zarth a reversal. Zarth rides very tough on top. With a good western hook, he scores two sets of back points to end the match. Zarth made no mistakes, winning 9-0.

125- Voth vs. Morlatt

Voth gets two nice takedowns in the first period, quickly cutting Morlatt loose for two escapes. The second period Voth catches Morlatt in a spladle and really comes close to ending the match. Voth, in deep on a double leg, scores; Morlatt quickly gets an escape. At the buzzer, Voth scores another takedown, ending the period with a score of 10-4. Morlatt takes bottom and Voth, again, gives him a free escape. Voth gets inside ties and scores again. Morlatt, again, is given an easy escape. Voth ends the match scoring one last takedown with an outside dump.

Voth ends the seasons very decisively with a 14-6 win.

130- Perez vs. Eck

Eck gets the first takedown with a very well executed high crotch. Perez escapes and then attacks Eck with an outside dump, scoring a takedown. Eck escapes, ending the period 3-3

In the 2nd and 3rd period, both wrestlers get escapes, but no takedowns are scored in regulation. So, we have our first overtime match of the night.  During the battle, Eck attempts a headlock, but Perez slips out of Ecks grasps scoring the winning takedown. Perez wins in overtime 6-4.

135- Warner vs. Ashbrook

Quickly after the match starts, Ashbrook uses injury time.  Ashbrook is okay and comes out attacking Warner. Warner defends a single leg takedown attempt from Ashbrook, and the Ref stalemates the action. Warner gets in deep on Ashbrook and finishes the takedown. Ashbrook escapes. Ashbrook spends a long period on bottom with almost scoring an escape at the buzzer. Warner takes bottom in the 3rd. Ashbrooks is looking for points and decides late in the match to cut Warner free and look for a takedown.  Warner fends off Ashbrook and wins 3-1.

140- Peace vs. Thomas

Peace gets the first takedown after stopping Thomas from getting to his legs. Thomas escapes. Peace gets in on Thomas and scores again. Thomas escapesleaving the score 4-2.

Thomas starts down in the second and gets another escape, but Peace attacks, again, scoring back points. Thomas gets another escape. Peace scores again and Thomas escapes. Peace, still attacking, gets in on a nice double leg and finishes.  Thomas gets a reversal. Peace wrestles well, winning 18-8.

145- Sanders vs. Courtney

Courtney scores the only points in the first period with a single leg takedown.

Courtney takes bottom in the 2nd period, and he works out from under Sanders with a head step scoring a reversal. The score at the end of the second period is 4-0.

Sanders choose neutral in the third but gives up a takedown when Courtney attacks with another nice single. Courtney finishes the match scoring three more near fall points gaining a 9-1 win.

152- Banks vs. Ervin

Banks starts the match with a good attack on Ervin. Banks scores a takedown with a shot. Ervin gets a reversal late in the first period which ends 2-2.

Banks takes bottom in the 2nd period. Ervin rides very tough in top, locks up a cradle but cannot score with it. Banks gets a point for an illegal full nelson. Ervin, still on top, sinks a deep leg half with Banks' foot trapped; Using great technique, scores three near fall points. Banks gets another point when Ervin scissors the head; technical violation. Ervin takes bottom in the third and gets a escape winning 6-4.

160- Wolsiefer vs. Choate

Wolsiefer scores with a perfectly executed inside trip; Choate gets an escape.

Wolsiefer takes bottom and gets back to his feet with an escape. Wolsiefer forces the action and scores with a very nice boot scoot. Choate scores another escape. Wolsiefer scores another boot scoot, taking Choate down along with knocking the Ref off his feet. Choate takes bottom and scores an escape. Choate attacks, but Wolsiefer defends very well and gets the takedown. Choate gets back to his feet with an escape, but Wolsiefer's technique wins the match 9-5.

171- Singley vs. Reid

Singley quickly attacks Reid's legs with a single. Singley has the leg in the air for about twenty seconds, but cannot finish. Reid fights out of the single and then returns with an outside dump followed up with two near fall points.

Singley gets an escape just before the second period.

Reid takes bottom scoring a quick escape. Singley attacks, but Reid defends and scores. Reid lifts Singley and dumps him to his back with a claw and gets the fall.

Reid pins in 2:58

189- Starks vs. Jones

Jones scores first with a double leg takedown, though Starks gets a quick escape.

Starks is attacking well but cannot seem to finish two shots in a row. The Ref warns Jones for stalling. Starks takes bottom and scores an escape in the second period.

Jones takes bottom and gets the escape taking a 3-2 lead. Starks keeps moving forward and the Ref hits Jones for stalling tying the score 3-3 to go into overtime.

Jones attempts to shoot on Starks but gets extended. Starts scores to win the bout in overtime 5-3.

215- Nickel vs. Chaney

Nickel scores a very nice double leg takedown and puts the first points on the board. Chaney escapes before the period ends.  Chaney takes bottom in the second and ties the score with an escape. Nickel tries to lateral drop Chaney to his back but only scores a takedown.  Chaney breaks free and scores an escape. The Ref warns both wrestlers for stalling. Nickel takes bottom in the third period and escapes. He follows it with a five point series; two takedown and three near fall. Chaney escapes, but Nickel wins 10-4.

285- Byrd and Bailey

Byrd scores with a snap drag to begin the match, and Bailey escapes. The Ref warns Bailey for stalling. Bailey gives up two more stalling calls giving Byrd a 4-1 lead. Bailey scores a single leg takedown closing the gap 4-3. Bailey takes bottom in the third and gets his escape to tie the match at 4-4. The wrestlers battling go out of bounds and show good sportsmanship helping each other up.  Overtime!  No points are scored in the first one minute overtime. Bailey calls his second injury time and Byrd gets to choose bottom. Bailey rides him out; still no score. Byrd takes bottom on double O.T. and gets the escape. Both wrestlers act as if the match was over but in the new rules they wrestle the entire thirty seconds. Byrd gets a takedown on Bailey and wins 7-4.

The action was great all night and the fans really supported the wrestlers.

I am glad I was able to make it and watch the finals. I wish I could have seen more. I look forward to hopefully having many of these Kentucky wrestlers on my team.

Andrew Medders

Head Wrestling Coach

University of the Cumberlands

Williamsburg Ky.

amedders@ucumberlands.edu

http://www.ucumberlands.edu/athletics/wrestling/mens/

Prepare to win next years championship starting now. University of the Cumberlands State Champ Camp. July 15 - 19, 2007

http://www.ucumberlands.edu/athletics/wrestling/mens/camps/

awesome replay of the final. excellent!!!!

thanks Byrddog, It was my first time watching the Kentucky state finals. I liked the level of wrestling and the amazing fan support. 

What was your favorite takedown of the night? I'm a big fan of the inside trip and Wolsiefer impressed me with his Inside trip in the first period.

thanks Byrddog, It was my first time watching the Kentucky state finals. I liked the level of wrestling and the amazing fan support. 

What was your favorite takedown of the night? I'm a big fan of the inside trip and Wolsiefer impressed me with his Inside trip in the first period.

I can't pick one so here are my top 3:

Wolsiefer's duck under - awesome and he hit it a few times

Wolsiefer's inside trip

Nickel's pancake of Chaney - you knew the lateral attempt was coming from Chaney at some point and Nickel was ready and stopped it

I can't pick one so here are my top 3:

Wolsiefer's duck under - awesome and he hit it a few times

Wolsiefer's inside trip

Nickel's pancake of Chaney - you knew the lateral attempt was coming from Chaney at some point and Nickel was ready and stopped it

My favorite takedown of the tournament (didn't even get taken down) was when Evans and Sullivan had that really, really long scramble and they ended up going out of bounds on the side of the mat closest to Ryle, Dunbar, North Oldham and Hardin fans. That and the badass lateral drop that Nickel pulled on Chaney. Lightning quick.

As long as we're mentioning takedowns that didn't score, that wicked blast double leg by Wolsiefer when both guys went flying off the mat.  Choate took it like a man and got right back up ready to continue the battle.  I think Johnny tweeked his neck a bit though.

As long as we're mentioning takedowns that didn't score, that wicked blast double leg by Wolsiefer when both guys went flying off the mat.  Choate took it like a man and got right back up ready to continue the battle.  I think Johnny tweeked his neck a bit though.

Oh, haha, I thought he got nailed in the family jewels. Maybe it was his neck though, I dunno.

I'm pretty sure it was a nut shot. I was right on the mat. He did all the classic 'just caught it in the crotch' squates and such.

Yeah, now that you mention it you are both right.  It was a crotch shot.

There were a couple times that Refs got knocked off their feet, those were good takedowns. Wolsiefer hit two very nice bootscoots in a row. He really looked solid on his feet.

Voth was a takedown machine in the finals, he really opened up.

Evans had two nice doubles on Sullivan, I didn't see that match turning the way it did. Evans was controlling the entire match winning 7-1 with 38 seconds left. It didn't look like Sullivan could do anything with him. 

It reminded me of my friend Josh Lambrecht in the Division 1 finals in 2002. Lambrecht the 184-pounder from Oklahoma University was leading by 12 points with 15 seconds to go in the match. Rob Rohn from Lehigh rolled Lambrecht to his back and pinned him. 

Anyways I think Evans will come back strong next year.  I think he deserves a lot of respect. I'd bet anything Sullivan respects Evans ability to wrestle. 

So what about the best top technique? I'm going to pick Ervin, he used another one of my favorite techniques. The half on the legs while trapping a leg. We call it making them read the paper. I think he did an excellent job scoring those back points that won him that match.  What do you guys think? got a favorite?