Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Duals

Do any teams have fun with their duals? Throw out tee shirts, announce names and records, use the spot light? I feel like most just try and get it over with. 

• Like 1

We're working on stepping up our Dual-Meet Vibe slowly but surely.  We do music during Warmups, added Intro/Win Videos on our Jumbotron. Working on acquiring Overhead Spotlights.  I want to get throw-out shirts, need to come up with a design. Might incorporate Walk-out music for each athlete, went to a dual that did that.  I enjoy the Dual/Tri-Meet Vibe more than Individual or Dual Tournaments.

• Upvote 1

I guess you have to change with the times.  I'm still old school, I like the idea that wrestling is an individual sports. Never liked the dual as a wrestler and not a fan as a coach.  Winning duals to me is ho hum.  I much prefer seeing the individual tournament where the best two in the weight class battle it out in the finals. I don't want to see coaches moving kids around trying to win a dual.   But that is just me and I know the push is to make it a team sport, and the fanfair involved is what kids and parents want now. 

33 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I guess you have to change with the times.  I'm still old school, I like the idea that wrestling is an individual sports. Never liked the dual as a wrestler and not a fan as a coach.  Winning duals to me is ho hum.  I much prefer seeing the individual tournament where the best two in the weight class battle it out in the finals. I don't want to see coaches moving kids around trying to win a dual.   But that is just me and I know the push is to make it a team sport, and the fanfair involved is what kids and parents want now. 

I'm with you that I prefer the individual tournament format.  But duals have definitely grown on me over the years and I really enjoy it when a team gets behind each other especially when they realize the "worst" kid in the lineup is actually important to the team success.  I we have 100% seen that worst kid literally win duals for us.  And I will add, yes putting words in my kid's mouth, I think Spencer would say some of the highlights of his high school career were dual meets even on the same level as winning his state titles.

I love dual meets for the atmosphere and team backing if you have the kids bought in and it's a highly contested, anticipated dual. I loved big duals with Campbell and Ryle when I was in High School when you had the team and crowds both getting behind their guys, and always dreamed of moments like in Vision Quest with the pep band from the home school playing the fight song after a big win, intermissions, packed stands,  cool entrances, etc. Hopefully one day Kentucky can get to that level.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Parrott Wing said:

I love dual meets for the atmosphere and team backing if you have the kids bought in and it's a highly contested, anticipated dual. I loved big duals with Campbell and Ryle when I was in High School when you had the team and crowds both getting behind their guys, and always dreamed of moments like in Vision Quest with the pep band from the home school playing the fight song after a big win, intermissions, packed stands,  cool entrances, etc. Hopefully one day Kentucky can get to that level.

EXACTLY!  People are so selfish and self absorbed these days, it is awesome to see kids and fans really invested in someone else succeeding.

I completely understand the idea of fan support and cheering on your team.  It also helps to motivate those kids that usually don't get the fanfare.  I tell them if not for all the kids there we would not have won the dual. 

I just remember when I was in school and we actually had a dual the last hour of the school day. The entire school came down to watch the dual.  I was a little guy and remember all the fans there.  However I did not enjoy it.  During the match it made no difference to me because I blocked it all out, but when on the bench I felt my teammates could not here me over the noise. It was annoying to me just sitting there waiting for a dual to end, knowing that regardless of the outcome it made no difference in my goals for State.  Especially if you received a forfeit that dual. 

But these are just my personal opinions, I know they are not popular. 

5 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I'm with you that I prefer the individual tournament format.  But duals have definitely grown on me over the years and I really enjoy it when a team gets behind each other especially when they realize the "worst" kid in the lineup is actually important to the team success.  I we have 100% seen that worst kid literally win duals for us.  And I will add, yes putting words in my kid's mouth, I think Spencer would say some of the highlights of his high school career were dual meets even on the same level as winning his state titles.

Spencer wrestling Hoppes at state duals was one of the coolest moments I have seen in the sport.

15 hours ago, hybrid said:

Spencer wrestling Hoppes at state duals was one of the coolest moments I have seen in the sport.

Absolutely!  Incredible moment.  Was just talking about that amazing dual with Larue at practice to the kids.  Even an individual loss can be significant especially when you have that effort and it helps the team win the dual.

We have done entrance music and use Ranger's rankings for our Duals. The kids really enjoy coming out to their choice, especially the extras that get a non-point scoring match. Also, we have had the pep band present. I would like to bring spotlights and cheerleading to make it an event that draws more than just parents. I announce and try to make it entertaining outside the competition.

Also, there is nothing better than a dual coming down to the heavys, and everyone in the gym cheering for every point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1