Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Girls weights information

On 10/20/2023 at 8:21 PM, DrBaker said:

Why would it even be voted on? Girls wrestling uses girls weight classes. It should be a given. 

I generally do not make it a habit to agree with Doc. However, this was basic common sense. But Doc look at who conducted the survey, a group of Political appointees who know absolutely nothing about most sports outside of the big 3. (Football, Basketball and Baseball.) If they would just ask The KYWCA or the KWOA things would run so much smoother. Better yet actually have someone with true wrestling knowledge on the Board of control. Just an old fat mans opinion.

My guess would be the reason for the boys wt. classes is because of the maximum wt class of 235.  That is keeping a few possible girls from wrestling. Seems kind of low to me also. 

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

My guess would be the reason for the boys wt. classes is because of the maximum wt class of 235.  That is keeping a few possible girls from wrestling. Seems kind of low to me also. 

It does except when you consider that:

1) womens college heavyweight is 191 lbs

2) olympics womens heavyweight is 76kg (~167 lbs)

3) womens college lightest weight is 101 lbs

4) olympics lightest weight is 50kg (~110 lbs)

Not that these facts preclude us from having higher weights, but it does make me question if the participation will justify the higher weights.  

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Didn't know that.  I was happy to see the 285 maybe we just grow them big here. I got 2 girls over 250. One wasn't going to come out until I told her the max wt. 

Again, not saying we shouldn't have 285 to give girls an opportunity as long as there is a need.  I just find it a bit ironic how we've had plenty of feedback about how we need to get rid of 106 because it is just a middle school weight class when 1) virtually every other state has it and manages to hold a solid post season bracket with it 2) we actually have enough kids to fill the post season brackets 3) the olympics/college lightest weight for full grown adults is less than 20% higher than 106.  But we forced the NFHS to create a weight class that is 70% higher than the full grown female weight for the olympics and almost 50% above the college heavyweight.

I'm just glad we have weights and can move ahead.  I'm good with it.  We can re-evaluate next year or the year after when we have some real data on participation.

On 11/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, Ranger123 said:

Again, not saying we shouldn't have 285 to give girls an opportunity as long as there is a need.  I just find it a bit ironic how we've had plenty of feedback about how we need to get rid of 106 because it is just a middle school weight class when 1) virtually every other state has it and manages to hold a solid post season bracket with it 2) we actually have enough kids to fill the post season brackets 3) the olympics/college lightest weight for full grown adults is less than 20% higher than 106.  But we forced the NFHS to create a weight class that is 70% higher than the full grown female weight for the olympics and almost 50% above the college heavyweight.

I'm just glad we have weights and can move ahead.  I'm good with it.  We can re-evaluate next year or the year after when we have some real data on participation.

I think what you are missing here is that your two examples are higher level Athletes. I stress ATHLETES. This is high school our main objective is to get kids in extra-curricular activities, to enhance their high school experience, and have another adult watching their academics.  For many kids this will be the first sport they have ever participated in.  I'm good with whatever we do, we are not going to bring the house down regardless if these 2 girls wrestle for me or not.  You know me, I'm just here to get whatever kids I can get out, and  to have them compete at the highest level they can achieve.  If we never win a tournament but have kids working hard to compete, I'm good with that.