Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

Region 3 Rankings 01/28/2007

William Northington beat Coty young tonight at Southern. I won't post the score because it'll probly be wrong and my coach will smack me. lol. I believe it was 7-6 though. Not 100% sure. I knew he could do it.

The score was 8-7, but you were close.  Coty was up by 3 in the final seconds of the match and tried to hold onto a leg until time ran out.  In the end, holding on (instead of wrestling) cost him 2 takedown and 2 nearfall points.  Northington wanted it, and he took it.  He wrestled a good match and it was a testament to the notion that you have to wrestle until the match is over.  Good job William.  If this kid is as young as you all say he is....he's gonna be a monster!

good time tonite at southern i beat PRP(130) and BC(130) so that was good prp and southern tied(PRP wins by rule by 1)but in our minds it was a tie lol BC beat prp and southern looks to me BC is number one and will take the repeat (thats me)

I have only seen Northington one time this year, and I was fairly impressed.  I'm sure his technique gets better with each day and the one thing I noticed was his aggressiveness.  He was constantly moving and always looking to be offensive.  That will often times go a long way in a match.  Aggressiveness can often times help to make up for a lack of experience.

Did the 135 picture become any more clear tonight?  Or is it still as clear as mud!

No it did not b/c Phillips did not wrestle Durden.  He wrestled Walls and was beat solidly by double digits.  Durden lost to Walls 4/0.  So in a move that I guess was strategic - Phillips did not wrestle Durden - Walls wrestled both.  While I understand the move strategically - Walls had something to risk if he lost a match and I know there is no way Sou coach would have sat his wrestler out to protect seeding or ranking so I so not agree with the decision for Phillips not to wrestle solely to protect against losing to Durden and having it impact his seeding.

I cannot say why he did  not wrestle - he was obviously not hurt he wrestled Walls-so it had to be a move to protect his seeding-if he lost to Durden it would impact his seeding at Regionals

Willy's technique is always improving but, as anyone who wrestled him will tell you, he's strong as a bear. I will always take technique over strength but he is strong enough that he more than makes up for lack of experience.

did phillips wrestle walls after he had the opportunity to wrestle durden? if so that is sooooo..  wrong. thats pretty bad. that was a golden opportunity to clear this up before regionals. if thats the case, i think he goes to four seed. cosgrove to three, durden to two. its the fairest thing. i personally like seeing cosgrove at #2  i also know that both durden and cosgrove would of wrestled in that situation. so now i ask myself, does his coach not think hes capable of beating durden again? what a shame. i guess now we put three names in the hat for 2-4 seeds and let fate decide. wow! c'mon coach let  'em wrestle.

did phillips wrestle walls after he had the opportunity to wrestle durden? if so that is sooooo..  wrong. thats pretty bad. that was a golden opportunity to clear this up before regionals. if thats the case, i think he goes to four seed. cosgrove to three, durden to two. its the fairest thing. i personally like seeing cosgrove at #2  i also know that both durden and cosgrove would of wrestled in that situation. so now i ask myself, does his coach not think hes capable of beating durden again? what a shame. i guess now we put three names in the hat for 2-4 seeds and let fate decide. wow! c'mon coach let  'em wrestle.

yes he was set to wrestle Durden first - it was Sou/PRP - PRP/BUC - Sou/BUC.

I agree Durden would never have thought of NOT wrestling and Wall wrestled both PRP & Sou and he could have potentially lost the #1 seed- but I guess they made the decision they thought was best. 

Guys the only reason phillips didn't wrestle southern had nothing to do with seeds or rankings.  Any one who knows me knows that I care nothing about them.  It was to avoid a pin in the BC match.  Phillips was still injured but we thought he might be able to go one match.  Guys I will never have my guys running from matches.  Phillips was going to be good for one match and one match only because his NAGGING injury.  He was not going to further injure himself by wrestling but we didn't want to agrevate it any more than we had to.  As far as I am concerned I do not care who gets what seed, you gotta beat em all eventually.  Calm down fellas.  It really was not this serious.  Too many computer wrestlers these days.  Too many people caught up in rankings.  Good luck to everyone at regionals. :wink: 

Guys the only reason phillips didn't wrestle southern had nothing to do with seeds or rankings.  Any one who knows me knows that I care nothing about them.  It was to avoid a pin in the BC match.  Phillips was still injured but we thought he might be able to go one match.  Guys I will never have my guys running from matches.  Phillips was going to be good for one match and one match only because his NAGGING injury.  He was not going to further injure himself by wrestling but we didn't want to agrevate it any more than we had to.  As far as I am concerned I do not care who gets what seed, you gotta beat em all eventually.  Calm down fellas.  It really was not this serious.  Too many computer wrestlers these days.  Too many people caught up in rankings.  Good luck to everyone at regionals. :wink: 

It would seem to me that he had more of a chance of getting hurt against Walls.  And why aggravate it at all?

It would seem to me that he had more of a chance of getting hurt against Walls.  And why aggravate it at all?

If it had nothing to with seeding then why did he take the chance to wrestle the #1?  And if there was concern about re aggravating a nagging injury then why wrestle at all as Ranger asked above?  I am not going to judge - everyone has to make their own decisions.  But you have to understand that the loss South had to PRP happened at Woodford CO and he ended with a shoulder injury that put him out for a couple of weeks, so he definitely wanted to wrestle.  Considering the parity in the 135 weight class every  match can mean something. 

And we can all talk about how seedings do not matter - but in the end we all know that in some cases they do or there would not be seeding meetings etc. And no one would bother to seed guys at all - we could just draw them out of hat-but that is not the case so while I will agree in the end you have to wrestle and prove yourself - we also have all seen what an impact a bad draw or a good seeding can have.

But as you said it is over and done with and all that matters is what happens next weekend - and I hope everyone is healthy and ready to wrestle.

It was a situation where we had sat him out for a few matches to heal.  He was released to wrestle.  It was really to test and see if he was going to be able to perform.  Bottom line is I thought I would have one good match and then set him so not to push it.  

It was a situation where we had sat him out for a few matches to heal.  He was released to wrestle.  It was really to test and see if he was going to be able to perform.  Bottom line is I thought I would have one good match and then set him so not to push it.  

everyone has to make the decisions they feel is best and what they are most comfortable with.  It does not matter now - but there was bound to be questions-  as I said with the competition in the region in that weight class people were interested in those matchups. 

2-4 seeds in this weight class in this region will not much matter.  They are all going to eventually meet and they are all going to have to go through walls.  And to answer the question why wrestle the #1... well he is the measuring stick to see where you stand as far as your performance.  Good luck guys I hope you all get one seeds.   :-D

2-4 seeds in this weight class in this region will not much matter.  They are all going to eventually meet and they are all going to have to go through walls.  And to answer the question why wrestle the #1... well he is the measuring stick to see where you stand as far as your performance.  Good luck guys I hope you all get one seeds.   :-D

HA! HA! :) Too late for that now!! But you are right there is not much difference between the two and three.  And Phillips had to take a shot - just like South wanted a shot.  - but in the end the same 4 guys should be 1-4 just as it was in the beginning of the season.  So even if they had wrestled we would still have to see what happens at Valley-next weekend - take care

o.k. you are right. they all will have to wrestle at regionals. point taken. lets be honest though. none of us are stupid. it is all about the seed. if you are a 2 or 3 seed you have a better shot at facing walls in the championship. if you are a 4 seed, you are probably getting third or fourth. dont get me wrong, under the right circumstances a couple of these guys can beat him. but wrestle him in the semis or the finals?lets get real...thats what its all about right? at state... correct me if i'm wrong, doesnt a 1 from a region wrestle a 4 from a different region? a 2 gets a three? in my book seeding is important. you tell your kids to wrestle to the max of their potential so the road to state will be a little less dificult. but hearing the prp coach say it doesnt matter to him should make it a little easier at the seeding meeting. they can have the 4 give southern the 2 doss will take the three.  thanks coach