Sign in to follow this  
Houze

Kentucky All Star Team

Money. Coaches. Number of kids willing to participate. KHSAA rules about coaching your own kids during the off-season.

I would love to see a Team Kentucky participate at all age levels of wrestling. Is there enough interest? Do we have to form an organization to build a team? How much will it cost? How much do you charge each individual? Where would practice be held?

Money. Coaches. Number of kids willing to participate. KHSAA rules about coaching your own kids during the off-season.

I would love to see a Team Kentucky participate at all age levels of wrestling. Is there enough interest? Do we have to form an organization to build a team? How much will it cost? How much do you charge each individual? Where would practice be held?

why dont we start on this forum anybody that wants to do it or their little brothers (sisters)......anybody see how much interest we get out of just this site and maybe a team could be put together.....im a 215 that loves wrestling in the summer there is a weight class right their as a junior.

i would coach the high school team and have had several years exspirence and as for the money ther are lots ways to raise money to help defer the costso that we could take a team to NHCA duals in iowa in july i be long to theNHCA and it is a great thing that they do in haveing these tourny's so our kids can show thier skills to several coll. coachs and if we want to get like Pa-OH-MICH-NJ we need to find a way to get this done so they will come more readily when our high school coaches call them and say i have got a kid you need to check out my opion

well considering their are a bunch of age groups there could be as many as we want.....junior,schoolboy,cadet,bantam,midget,etc.......all the weight classes are different also .maybe we can get a whole team to fargo this summer.

I took two kids to Fargo last year, it was kind of odd having just two kids competing, a team for Fargo would be alot of fun! The event includes Cadet and Junior age groups, which relates to basically; Cadet - Frosh and Soph, Junior - Jr's and Sr's, depending on the year of birth.

The event includes two styles; Greco and Freestyle. I would suggest that as a group we only compete in Freestyle. Both styles are relatively non-existent competitively in Kentucky but Freestyle is enough like Folkstyle that with a little training in technique a Folkstyler can pick it up easily and can become competitive quickly. I wouldnt tell an individual not to compete in Greco if they want to but as a group it might be more than we could handle our first time out.

My son and I have planned to return to Fargo this summer with or without a Team KY. It can be an expensive trip considering the distance and duration of the stay. Good organization and good sponsorship could help manage the expenses. I am to busy with a new job to take it on for a group, but I would be happy to help anyone willing take the lead on this Team KY, just send a message if interested.

I heard from a friend of mine in michigan that it costs him over $1000 dollars for the week, is this true, because I would hate to pay that much to go to a tournament a lose twice and be done...

im a 152 in the junior age division...id love to wrestle on a team this summer me and several of my team mates have plans with each other to take turns driving to tournaments in the AAU season plus several camps speaking for the group a team KY would be alot of fun and a great idea id be more than willing to pay to wrestle on this team

I always say I am going to get involved in a lot of freestyle tourneys after season, but never follow through... can someone make a point to post a freestyle schedule?

same here i same im gonna do this an that this year i actually have the parents backing the money for tournaments and camps 100% of the ones i want to attend, a car to get me there and friends who wanna go wrestle to so my situation changed and im willing to go to any tournament regardless of what my record may be walking out of it....

I can't answer the question for funding, but as far as coaching goes, I would volunteer to coach (or assist) this type of team.  I'm an assistant at University of the Cumberlands, and while I'm not a prolific freestyle or greco wrestler, I can teach what I know and have plenty of resources to find more freestyle technique.  If this is something that someone wants to definitely put together, send me a message and let's try to get something going.  I think it would be a great step in the right direction for KY wrestling.

I think fargo is very important and i will be takeing my son but the tourney i am talking about is the NHCA dules in iowa thi will be very well atended by colledge coaches just like sr nat. in VA beach witch will give our kids a another chance to show off thier skills and as far as who's on the team we should have a wrestle off's where any one can come and wrestle off for a weight class with the 3 lb weight alowence may be the saturday after states or the following week end so they can have a week end off we really need to do this give me some feed back    hawkeyeof old

I've been told that Keith Smith, KY USA Wrestling Director, has assigned Frank Gercak to coordinate the Cadet and Junior aged wrestlers. Frank is putting together a team now and he plans to travel to regional and national tournaments during the off season. If you are a coach or wrestler and are interested in helping, you should contact 

Frank Gercak at

tiger1g@yahoo.com

Frank put together the Kentucky team that won Cincinnati nationals 3-way (folkstyle, freestyle, greco-roman) last year and is looking to expand in talent and tournaments.

i would defenitly be intrested in joining up on the junior age team. it sounds like alot of fun and great expierence to do. But im still curious if id be better ooff just attending kentucky and indy tournaments this summer with friends. I would like some info on how to sign up/try out and all does any one have any info??

If you're just looking to have fun in the off season, the tournaments you can make on your own are great.  The most beneficial point of going to something like high school national duals, Fargo, or Sr. Nationals is that college coaches get to see you perform against national competition.  Anybody can send in a highlight tape and make themselves look good, but if you want coaches to notice you, you really have to give them something to measure you against.

Thats a great point to I didnt mean to not take it serious you have to take every aspect of training and competing 110% serious but at the same time you have to have a little bit of fun with it

i would definately be interested in trying out for the team, just name the time and place... and is it 3 extra lbs from base weight or from the 2 lb growth allowance?

I would take it very serious.. do not miss out on the chance to go to sr. nationals (if u get accepted) I had the chance to go my senior yr but didnt... big mistake... i still regret not going. We went to folkstyle world championships in detriot my sophmore and junior yr, it was a amazing experience. I think it was something like 15 mats in the silverdome.