Sign in to follow this  
Old wrestler

Iowa vs Oklahoma State

Big duel coming up in Stillwater this weekend. I thought it may be fun to post a couple of predictions. 

Admittedly, I think my Hawkeye bias is coming out a tad, but I do like their chances of stealing a win in Stillwater. 157 will be worth the price of admission alone. Kemmerer might be my favorite D1 wrestler, outside of our Kentucky boys. Gilman's dominant season will continue. Clark and Brock should be a heck of a matchup. Brock's dominant win over Brewer (OU) still resonates, but Clark must win this for NCAA seeding purposes. 

125-Gilman Iowa maj. Piccinni Oklahoma St., 4-0
133-Clark Iowa Dec Brock Oklahoma St., 7-0 
141-Heil Oklahoma St. maj. Carton Iowa 7-4
149-Sorenson Dec Collica 10-4 Iowa
157-Kemmerer Iowa dec Smith Oklahoma St. 13-4 
165-Rogers Oklahoma State dec Gunther Iowa 13-7
174- Crutchmer Oklahoma St. dec Meyer Iowa 13-10
184-Brooks Iowa dec Boyd Oklahoma St. 16-13
197- Wilcke Iowa dec Weigel Oklahoma St. 19-13
285-Stoll Iowa Dec Schafer Oklahoma St. 22-16

• Upvote 1

I love my Hawkeyes, and I hope your predictions are right! I'm worried that we are going to drop one that we are slightly favored. I'm not sure Cory Clark is ready for Kaid Brock.....yet. I'm not worried so much about that matchup in March, but right now, I have concerns. The Sorenson vs Collica match makes me a little nervous as well.  Not quite as nervous as the Clark Brock match though. Should be awesome for any wrestling fan. It does stink that the B10 Network isn't carrying the dual on cable. You have to have BTN2GO. I'm pretty sure Flo is showing it live on FloPro. The next few weeks are going to be crazy! TOSU at Iowa, PSU at Iowa, and PSU at TOSU! In the words of the Nature Boy... Whoooooooooo!

• Upvote 2

Going to be a good one regardless of the outcome. Nothing compares to the big ten and OSU matchups. It's a shame Minnesota is down, I always liked when they were in the race also. Exciting times to be a fan.

• Downvote 2

Speaking of Minnesota, you got to wonder what type of impact the firing of JRob has had on recruiting. To me, JRob was the closest thing to Gable you were going to get these days. Don't get me wrong, the Brands are Gable philosophy 2.0, but JRob had that old school about him. Definitely one of the all time best!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nike Man said:

I love my Hawkeyes, and I hope your predictions are right! I'm worried that we are going to drop one that we are slightly favored. I'm not sure Cory Clark is ready for Kaid Brock.....yet. I'm not worried so much about that matchup in March, but right now, I have concerns. The Sorenson vs Collica match makes me a little nervous as well.  Not quite as nervous as the Clark Brock match though. Should be awesome for any wrestling fan. It does stink that the B10 Network isn't carrying the dual on cable. You have to have BTN2GO. I'm pretty sure Flo is showing it live on FloPro. The next few weeks are going to be crazy! TOSU at Iowa, PSU at Iowa, and PSU at TOSU! In the words of the Nature Boy... Whoooooooooo!

I think you're probably right about Clark. I frequent the Hawkeye messageboard and initially heard it was his shoulder, but recently heard it may be his wrist? 133 is stacked this year, only behind 184 in depth. Either way, I hope he goes out on top. Starting the NCAA finals off with 2 Hawkeye champs would be awesome! 

Wilcke is is a slight underdog at 97. However, he impressed me against Michigan. Athletic kid, who's wrestling up for the team. Pretty sure he'll cut down to 84 after Brooks graduates. 

Next year will be a rebuilding one for the Hawks. However, the 2019 season looks very promising with Lee, Teasdale, Kemmerer, Maranelli, Warner, Stoll, and company. All 6 are more than capable of winning a national title/s by the end of their respective careers. 

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more with your analysis. The Hawks have done a great job recruiting and reloading for next year.  Wilcke is definitely being a team player. He will fit in nicely at 184 next season. You know, Sam Stoll could be the "heavy hitter" that could be huge swing in this dual and at the NCAAs. Snyder and Medberry are the clear favorites, but Stoll is one tough customer when he's healthy. He could come through with a pin in the dual this weekend. Although doubtful, I've still got my fingers and toes crossed that Marinelli tosses "the shirt." #GAMECHANGER!

• Upvote 1

This will be a monster dual. I believe Clark injury is his wrist. Heavily taped in Michigan dual. Micic was a good welcome back for Clark. I don't see him hanging with Brock. He will need to keep it to a DEC, which I think he does. So many toss-up matches: top fives at  149- Sorenson v Collica, 157- Kemerer v Smith. Top tens at 174 and 184. Then a great tilt at HWT.

Gilman MD, 4-0

Brock dec, 4-3

Heil TF, 4-8

Collica dec  (won't be denied at home), 4-11

Smith dec (I really like Kemerer but Joe not losing this one), 4-14

Rogers MD, 4-18

Crutchmer dec, 4-21

Brooks dec, 7-21

Weigel dec (possible bonus), 7-24

Stoll PIN, 13-24 OK State

Collica and Smith coming up clutch changes the entire complexion of this dual.  Hoping I'm wrong here and this one goes down to the wire. 

49 minutes ago, crazyotto said:

This will be a monster dual. I believe Clark injury is his wrist. Heavily taped in Michigan dual. Micic was a good welcome back for Clark. I don't see him hanging with Brock. He will need to keep it to a DEC, which I think he does. So many toss-up matches: top fives at  149- Sorenson v Collica, 157- Kemerer v Smith. Top tens at 174 and 184. Then a great tilt at HWT.

Gilman MD, 4-0

Brock dec, 4-3

Heil TF, 4-8

Collica dec  (won't be denied at home), 4-11

Smith dec (I really like Kemerer but Joe not losing this one), 4-14

Rogers MD, 4-18

Crutchmer dec, 4-21

Brooks dec, 7-21

Weigel dec (possible bonus), 7-24

Stoll PIN, 13-24 OK State

Collica and Smith coming up clutch changes the entire complexion of this dual.  Hoping I'm wrong here and this one goes down to the wire. 

Smith hasn't looked overly impressive this year. He lost a 7-1 decision against Jordan Kutler (Lehigh) a couple of weeks ago. Kemmerer has a lot of momentum coming in to this match with his incredible 4 OT win over Berger (Nebraska) and Murphy (Michigan). Either way, this will be a heck of a match. 

165 is intriguing. Gunther gutted out a tough win against Michigan State on Sunday. Unfortunately, he may have sustained a shoulder injury, which may force Maranelli in to the lineup. If so, Rogers will still be favored, but he will have his hands full. If I remember correctly, Stephen Myers nearly beat Maranelli a number of years ago. A testament to Myer's ability. 

Has Sorenson lost to Collica before? Collica is more than capable of pulling off the minor upset, but Sorenson's defensive ability is incredible, excluding against Retherford (Penn State). I know the Brands/McIllavry urge Sorenson to utilize his offensive attacks earlier in matches, but it's hard to argue with Sorenson's success. 

Nike Man, I can't believe this isn't on B10 Network. I may have to break down and subscribe to FloPro. 

On January 11, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Old wrestler said:

Big duel coming up in Stillwater this weekend. I thought it may be fun to post a couple of predictions. 

Admittedly, I think my Hawkeye bias is coming out a tad, but I do like their chances of stealing a win in Stillwater. 157 will be worth the price of admission alone. Kemmerer might be my favorite D1 wrestler, outside of our Kentucky boys. Gilman's dominant season will continue. Clark and Brock should be a heck of a matchup. Brock's dominant win over Brewer (OU) still resonates, but Clark must win this for NCAA seeding purposes. 

125-Gilman Iowa maj. Piccinni Oklahoma St., 4-0
133-Clark Iowa Dec Brock Oklahoma St., 7-0 
141-Heil Oklahoma St. maj. Carton Iowa 7-4
149-Sorenson Dec Collica 10-4 Iowa
157-Kemmerer Iowa dec Smith Oklahoma St. 13-4 
165-Rogers Oklahoma State dec Gunther Iowa 13-7
174- Crutchmer Oklahoma St. dec Meyer Iowa 13-10
184-Brooks Iowa dec Boyd Oklahoma St. 16-13
197- Wilcke Iowa dec Weigel Oklahoma St. 19-13
285-Stoll Iowa Dec Schafer Oklahoma St. 22-16

I will not be quitting my day job... Rough day for the Hawks. Kemmerer came up clutch against a very game Smith. Wilcke showed promise, but just got outhorsed by a tough Weigel. 

Interesting note, Micic (Michigan) took it to Montaya (Nebraska). Makes Clark's narrow victory against Micic even more impressive. Unfortunately, Clark lost a barn burner to Brock, but I firmly believe he will make the necessary adjustments to get the W in March. 

Great call by crazyotto on Sorenson coming up short. I thought that a Hawyeye win was a forgone conclusion, albeit close, due to Sorenson's style. 

Speaking of 133s, I'd say NATO will be the new number 1 after today's major decision over Zain Richards. Absolutely trashed him on his feet. I hate that the Hawkeyes lost, but you can't win if you lose the 50/50 match ups. Lots of work to do before March!

Went to the tOSU v Illinois dual. NaTo looked great, though Richards did ride hard in 3rd. Micah was super impressive as well. Looking at the results from Iowa-Ok St, these couple weights will be off the hook. 

Great to see Collica get the W. Ohio boy making good, I had to pick him.