Chris Duke

Which freshman are poised to make a deep run at the NCAA Championships this March?

Yes I'm sure wrestling 3 more yrs at the college level does make a big difference lol not sure how old Walz is I'm not that anal about age as you seem to be on a good note looking at it from my point of view not many guys outside the top 20 and many inside of it could do any better than Austin did against the #3 ranked guy  in the country in a class where the top guys are a cut above the rest ,I see Austin setting in a very very nice spot before he is finished probably a nicer spot than Walz and I see guys who set out 3 ,4,5.years then wrestle as freshman age has some to do with it but experience and level has a bit more .

One thing is for sure there has never been a single living soul Besides Austin Tyler Myers  who was born in the state of KY who could have made it through the match with Walz without being teched or pinned .

AUSTIN IS THE BADDEST TOUGHEST STRONGEST ATHLETE TO EVER COME OUT OF THE BLUEGRASS.

NOW TAKE YOUR GLASS HALF EMPTY THERE'S THE REAL FACT WITH THE GLASS HALF FULL.

MIZZOURI EVEN IN HIS LOSS LOVED HIM AND HIS EFFORT I WOULD NOT  EXPECT HATERS EVERYWHERE TO THOUGH ,PARTICULARLY YOU LOL.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Yes I'm sure wrestling 3 more yrs at the college level does make a big difference lol not sure how old Walz is I'm not that anal about age as you seem to be on a good note looking at it from my point of view not many guys outside the top 20 and many inside of it could do any better than Austin did against the #3 ranked guy  in the country in a class where the top guys are a cut above the rest ,I see Austin setting in a very very nice spot before he is finished probably a nicer spot than Walz and I see guys who set out 3 ,4,5.years then wrestle as freshman age has some to do with it but experience and level has a bit more .

One thing is for sure there has never been a single living soul who was born in the state of KY who could have made it through the match with Walz without being teched or pinned .

AUSTIN IS THE BADDEST TOUGHEST STRONGEST ATHLETE TO EVER COME OUT OF THE BLUEGRASS.

NOW TAKE YOUR GLASS HALF EMPTY THERE'S THE REAL FACT WITH THE GLASS HALF FULL.

MIZZOURI EVEN IN HIS LOSS LOVED HIM AND HIS EFFORT I WOULD NOT  EXPECT HATERS EVERYWHERE TO THOUGH PARTICULARLY YOU LOL.

You may want to exclude Cassius Clay from your Bluegrass pronouncement.

• Upvote 1

Lol I love That guy met him and spent a few minutes with him and I agree he's the baddest But he was never as strong as Austin and he could not have made it through the match with Walz Him Foreman or Tyson would all have been pinned before the end of the second  in a wrestling format as for toughness I stand by that statement as well Austin is as tough as they come Not sure many realize who Walz is a quick Google search would have many saying hats off to anyone who would attempt to wrestle him even more so for anyone who makes it to the end Walz beat a top 20 ranked 5th yr Sr a few days before he wrestled Austin who is bigger than Austin by a bigger margin I'm not saying I'm happy with Austins performance I would have liked to see the same effort all three periods he gave for the first and part of the second but I have wrestled a bear and it takes a toll on you you fade quick .So OK Austin is the second baddest man ever (maybe ) but still the only one who could make it through a match with Walz .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

A quick Google search will bring up walz profile which has his date of birth. 

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling/players/walz_ty.html

Yeah, you must not be a stickler for age, but I  notice you are for school grade for some reason. I MO age is the bigger factor, but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Congrats on only getting majored by 12.

• Upvote 1

Well actually I stated age has some to do with it but experience has more to do with it .As I said Walz beat a 5 yr Sr top 20 ranked wrestler  worse than he did Austin earlier in the week School grade ? if your a starter you wrestle whoever is in front of you and Austin will wrestle some of the best heavies on this planet he just did in fact .

Imo yo means very little considering you have never done anything remotely close to what Austin has done from day one he stepped on the mat as a six yr old all the way up till yesterday when he lasted a match with one of the top three wrestlers in the country and his 5th ranked team beat the 6th ranked team in the country even down 2 of its stars .

And a year and a half age and 3 in college is a big difference I think Arizona had a guy who is a soph that set out 4 yrs so what you still have to wrestle him.

Have your laughs knocking the best wrestler in ky history as he takes some hits his fr yr and when he's an A A I'm sure you will find some other excuse as you hide behind your message board user name and take hits on a KY legend wrestling on one of the best teams in the country while his coach and state he wrestles for applaud his efforts and expect and see he is working hard to improve .

AUSTINS COACH WAS A 3 X QUALIFIER AND ONE X MAC CHAMP I EXPECT HIS TEAM WILL MEASURE HIM AGAINST THAT AND HE WILL PRO DUCE.AND AUSTINS HAD WINS AGAINST GUYS WHO BEAT WALZ A COUPLE YEARS AGO WALZ IMPROVED Im SURE AUSTIN. WILL AS WELL AND I SUSPECT HE WILL REACH THE HIGH RANKING WALZ HAS BEFORE HE IS THROUGH .

AS FOR NOW KY HAS A FRESHMAN STARTER ON A TOP 5 TEAM AND IT LOOKS LIKE HE WILL BE THERE FOR GOOD :) You are lucky to live in the time of a true ky legend wildcat and even luckier that a guy like me raised two mat demons that brought and bring attention and glory to this state the state whos greatest High School and soon to be if not already  greatest Heavyweight college wrestler will always be Austin Myers .:)

WALZ Snyder Dejournete Larson Jensen AND ON AND on no college wrestler from ky has ever wrestled this caliber of college wrestlers as a freshman :) and I doubt any ever will as a matter of fact no fr wrestler in the country this yr in his class will except Austin because he's a bad bad bad dude and your well some guy on a message board who is jealous because you and your son are well ....just you and your son.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Took my boys a few weeks ago to see a Mizz football game and they got to see the morning wrestling practice.  Boys loved seeing Myers along with the other guys we have followed over the years.  They signed posters for them both.  I personally told Austin that day, I was glad he decided to transfer to Missouri.  Coach Smith has turned that program around and continues to excel with the best.  Would be nice if they were on TV more.

• Upvote 1

He mentioned talking to someone from KY ,He had a rough one yesterday but they handled the team ranked just below them fairly easily considering they were down two starters ,Coach Smith had a plan for peaking during the year and k own it's only NOV but you cannot control injuries sometimes nor classes that will take time to learn and climb in The good thing about Mizzou is they are loaded and may lose some studs but have others to fill their spot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Well actually I stated age has some to do with it but experience has more to do with it .As I said Walz beat a 5 yr Sr top 20 ranked wrestler  worse than he did Austin earlier in the week School grade ? if your a starter you wrestle whoever is in front of you and Austin will wrestle some of the best heavies on this planet he just did in fact .

Imo yo means very little considering you have never done anything remotely close to what Austin has done from day one he stepped on the mat as a six yr old all the way up till yesterday when he lasted a match with one of the top three wrestlers in the country and his 5th ranked team beat the 6th ranked team in the country even down 2 of its stars .

And a year and a half age and 3 in college is a big difference I think Arizona had a guy who is a soph that set out 4 yrs so what you still have to wrestle him.

Have your laughs knocking the best wrestler in ky history as he takes some hits his fr yr and when he's an A A I'm sure you will find some other excuse as you hide behind your message board user name and take hits on a KY legend wrestling on one of the best teams in the country while his coach and state he wrestles for applaud his efforts and expect and see he is working hard to improve .

AUSTINS COACH WAS A 3 X QUALIFIER AND ONE X MAC CHAMP I EXPECT HIS TEAM WILL MEASURE HIM AGAINST THAT AND HE WILL PRO DUCE.AND AUSTINS HAD WINS AGAINST GUYS WHO BEAT WALZ A COUPLE YEARS AGO WALZ IMPROVED Im SURE AUSTIN. WILL AS WELL AND I SUSPECT HE WILL REACH THE HIGH RANKING WALZ HAS BEFORE HE IS THROUGH .

AS FOR NOW KY HAS A FRESHMAN STARTER ON A TOP 5 TEAM AND IT LOOKS LIKE HE WILL BE THERE FOR GOOD :) You are lucky to live in the time of a true ky legend wildcat and even luckier that a guy like me raised two mat demons that brought and bring attention and glory to this state the state whos greatest High School and soon to be if not already  greatest Heavyweight college wrestler will always be Austin Myers .:)

WALZ Snyder Dejournete Larson Jensen AND ON AND on no college wrestler from ky has ever wrestled this caliber of college wrestlers as a freshman :) and I doubt any ever will as a matter of fact no fr wrestler in the country this yr in his class will except Austin because he's a bad bad bad dude and your well some guy on a message board who is jealous because you and your son are well ....just you and your 

Wow, a lot to cover here. Let's start where we agree.

Agree.

1. Austin is the best ky upper of all time.

2. Austin is probably the best ky upper ever in college ( I'm naive on this thats why only probably).

Disagree.

1. The context of age is very important. Especially when you keep stressing rs fresh and senior etc. It's important to note that your son is the same age as juniors and actually OLDER than juniors such as Kyle Snyder. acting like he's an upcoming young prospect is wrong in this instance.

2. Plenty of ACTUAL freshman face just as hard of competition without sitting years to catch an age advantage. 

• Upvote 1

REALLY lol name one freshman heavy that will face a schedule like his .

YOU Can't .

I said age mattered but experience matters more haha your so ate up with jealousy you can't stand it .and there are Jr's well older than Austin as well Soph older than srs what's your point ???

AND MAKE NO MISTAKE ON PAPER IN RECORD AND DEED IN EVERY STYLE AUSTIN IS THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLER TO EVER WALK IN KY.:)

189 AND 0 AND ALL THE REST I COULD BRING UP THAT WOULD BURY ANYTHING FROM ANYONE YOU COULD COME UP WITH .

PLENTY START COLLEGE THE SAME AGE AS HE DID AND TAKE A RS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE HE'S GOT A LEGIT REASON TO HE'S A HEAVY WHO IS THE SAME HEIGHT AS MOST 145 HAHA AND HE WILL BE COME A NAT QUALIFIER AND AN AA.

And your right you are naive .

You see where this is all going to end up with KY having an un defeated multiple time nat champ 3 X Fargo AA nhsca wrestler of the year in High School  end up as a college heavy AA on one of the best teams in the country :)Clowns like you had to wait till he was a fr in college to take a knock on him because he rarely lost in H'S well enjoy it because his losses will be rarer and rarer as he goes .so just keep hiding and knocking and crying about age or whatever you like it doesn't change facts Austin is easily the best most highly decorated HS wrestler in KY history and he will be an All American before he's done and he could. Care less what anyone else does he would rather be a 5 11 heavy and wrestle the best than be a 5 11 145 stick  I like his coaches plan I like his odds and I see where it is all going so do you that's why your looking for ways to knock him but it's to late .

When he stood on that podium and put up those 4 fingers then swept both national also after AAing two yrs in a row at Fargo not to mention going undefeated on team KY at nat duals yes where he wrestled and beat older guys he sealed his fate He's the KING of KY wrestling and your just a little fly buzzing around trying to annoy the beasts a little nasty creature that hangs around sh!/ that evolves from a maggot .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

REALLY lol name one freshman heavy that will face a schedule like his .

YOU Can't .

No big shakes in the loss to Walz. A great experience that he will certainly learn from. He is in a great room with a bunch of upperweights to work with. This will give him multiple looks to prepare. Coaching staff is top notch as well. Anybody that wants to define a season by the outcome of one match is mistaken.

To answer your question: Adam Coon for one. Nick Gwiazdowski placed 8th as a frosh at Binghamton (redshirted next season at NC State), Sam Stoll, ..................I would include Tanner Hall as well. Although he is 23 (?) he did take time off for a lengthy mission trip. 

• Upvote 1

Well Adam Coon is a Jr I believe or Sr ,Gwiz was a Sr last yr ,Stoll is a soph or jr.

AND TANNER HALL LOL IS A SOPH WHO TOOK OFF A YR OR TWO AND TRAINED AT THE OTC AND THEN WENT ON A MISSION TRIP .I know a thing or two about wrestling as well .

AND NONE OF THEM HAD TO WRESTLE A SCHEDULE LIKE AUSTINS SNYDER BEAT GWIZ AND IS AN OLYMPIC CHAMPION AND 2XER who beat Gwiz WALZ IS BETTER THAN HE HAS EVER BEEN AND AUSTIN HAS NUMEROUS OTHER RANKED GUYS TO FACE SO NOOOOO NONE OF THEM AS FRESHMAN FACED A SCHEDULE LIKE AUSTIN HAS THIS Year .I did not say in the history of wrestling I said name one fr heavy that will face a schedule like his .

Again I say YOU CANT. 

HIS SCHEDULE IS AS Tough AS ANY HEAVIES AND I COULD SAY HE IS FACING Tougher OPPONENTS THAN ANY STARTING FR RS OR OTHERWISE EVER .

I DOUBT MANY THOUGHT AUSTIN COULD BEAT WALZ And I am SURE HE HAS MORE TOUGH MATCHES AHEAD BUT KNOCKING HIM AND IDIOTS ON WRESTLESTATS LOWERING HIS RANK FOR IT IS A JOKE THERE NEEDS TO BE A LEGIT RANKING BY THE NCAA NOT ALL THESE RANKING DONE BY INDIVIDUALS WITH THEIR CHOICE OF CRITERIA THEN A MAGICAL NUMBER THEY THROW IN FOR A BONUS..I see guys other fr starting out higher ranked than Austin who placed lower than him in almost  every tournament he did and lost to numerous guys Austin beat no excuse for it  they had less wins against weaker opponents no excuse for it someone dreams up some bonus and throws it in and people use these rankings for comparisons wth lol they are very useful otherwise though for comparing .

EITHER WAY AS I SAID HE WILL BE AN A A BEFORE HE IS DONE .WRITE IT DOWN.

I WAS ACTUALLY IMPRESSED WITH HIM NOT GETTING TURNED WALZ IS A BEAST like to have seen him wrestle the whole match as he did the first 2 periods with a few more offensive attempts after the first but AUSTIN MAY BE THE BEST HEAVYWEIGHT WRESTLER in the country under 6 foot tall already as a rs fr.I say he is and that's a good start .

AND YES MIZZOU IS VERY VERY GOOD .

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Well Adam Coon is a Jr I believe or Sr ,Gwiz was a Sr last yr ,Stoll is a soph or jr.

AND TANNER HALL LOL IS A SOPH WHO TOOK OFF A YR OR TWO AND TRAINED AT THE OTC AND THEN WENT ON A MISSION TRIP .I know a thing or two about wrestling as well .

AND NONE OF THEM HAD TO WRESTLE A SCHEDULE LIKE AUSTINS SNYDER BEAT GWIZ AND IS AN OLYMPIC CHAMPION AND 2XER who beat Gwiz WALZ IS BETTER THAN HE HAS EVER BEEN AND AUSTIN HAS NUMEROUS OTHER RANKED GUYS TO FACE SO NOOOOO NONE OF THEM AS FRESHMAN FACED A SCHEDULE LIKE AUSTIN HAS THIS Year .I did not say in the history of wrestling I said name one fr heavy that will face a schedule like his .

Again I say YOU CANT. 

HIS SCHEDULE IS AS Tough AS ANY HEAVIES AND I COULD SAY HE IS FACING Tougher OPPONENTS THAN ANY STARTING FR RS OR OTHERWISE EVER .

I DOUBT MANY THOUGHT AUSTIN COULD BEAT WALZ And I am SURE HE HAS MORE TOUGH MATCHES AHEAD BUT KNOCKING HIM AND IDIOTS ON WRESTLESTATS LOWERING HIS RANK FOR IT IS A JOKE THERE NEEDS TO BE A LEGIT RANKING BY THE NCAA NOT ALL THESE RANKING DONE BY INDIVIDUALS WITH THEIR CHOICE OF CRITERIA THEN A MAGICAL NUMBER THEY THROW IN FOR A BONUS..I see guys other fr starting out higher ranked than Austin who placed lower than him in almost  every tournament he did and lost to numerous guys Austin beat no excuse for it  they had less wins against weaker opponents no excuse for it someone dreams up some bonus and throws it in and people use these rankings for comparisons wth lol they are very useful otherwise though for comparing .

EITHER WAY AS I SAID HE WILL BE AN A A BEFORE HE IS DONE .WRITE IT DOWN.

I WAS ACTUALLY IMPRESSED WITH HIM NOT GETTING TURNED WALZ IS A BEAST like to have seen him wrestle the whole match as he did the first 2 periods with a few more offensive attempts after the first but AUSTIN MAY BE THE BEST HEAVYWEIGHT WRESTLER in the country under 6 foot tall already as a rs fr.I say he is and that's a good start .

AND YES MIZZOU IS VERY VERY GOOD .

As freshman they all had very difficult schedules: Stoll went 22-6 on a B1G Ten sched, NCAA qualifier, knee injury stalled his performance. Tied for team lead with 9 pins. He was 19 yrs old at start of season. Gwiz went 30-9 and took 8th at NCAAs, at Binghamton. They faced #1 Ok St, #5 Cornell, #12 Oklahoma among others. Coon, wow. He had a wicked frosh sched. Coon recorded wins over the following: #3 Gwiz, #4 Telford twice, #5 JT Felix, #7 Spencer Myers, AND 2x Nat Champ Tony Nelson. He was 19 yrs old at the time. "I know a thing or two about wrestling as well". Then this must be old news to you. But no, his sched is not the toughest ever. Very tough to be sure. I would bet this is one reason why he went to Mizzou. 

I agree he will be an AA, qualify this year, AA from then on out. Top four at least once is not a stretch, and perhaps top of the podium. It all will play itself out, and kudos for taking on the challenge of major college wrestling. No collegiate sport comes close to the grind that is wrestling. 

• Upvote 2

All good info not sure if your taking a poke or not but none of them faced an Olympic champ like Austin will or a Walz at the level Walz is now throw in Larson ,Dejoutnete, Jensen, and the rest he will face it is as tough as a Big 10 schedule as for Coon and Stoll facing tough comp as fr.the last time they saw anything under 220 they were probably In middle or grade school and Austin is 5 11 in shoes not 6,4 .or 280 like Stoll .so I'm not really concerned with what any of them faced of course Snyder is far more impressive but if you live and train near the Olympic training  center when your in High School you are probably heading to college on top of your game if your already good to begin with and yes he is taller than Austin to . No excuses necessary but neither is the comparison .

If Stoll or coon were MY son's they would already be Nat champs and that's a fact but I'm happy with Austin he's same height as me and he's a bad dude the best either you or whinycat will ever see grace a mat in ky.

So poke the daddy bear cause the baby bear got beat up a bit lol but the last I checked he's the starter and he walked off the mat after the third period without seeing lights like 9 out of ten wrestlers in college would any grade or age AFTER WRESTLING TY Walz. .

EVERYONE YOU MENTIONED REGARDLESS OF AGE HAS PHYSICAL ADVANTAGE ON Austin except he trains more on his own and is stronger than most of them  .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Funny you bring up big ten OTTO if Austin were big ten he makes NCAAs easier than in the MAC they have 6 studs there the rest Austin has beaten or would beat Big Ten takes more than 6 heavies Auotomatically. COON FINISHED 9TH OR TENTH THERE AND STILL MADE NCAAS.Mac gets 1 bid if you put the MAC heavies and BIG Ten heavies in a tournament and top ten went I'm betting at least 3 would be MAC probably 4.And Missouris schedule is tougher than many of the BIG tens schools schedule .

Edited by NatureBoy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Not sure what they were thinking when they did the MAC rankings Austin didn't make top 4 but they will soon learn he should have been at least 3rd probably 2nd and that was just to begin the year .

Two  guys ranked ahead of him have lost to  wrestlers he has beaten fairly easily in the last two years One he has beaten in the last two yrs and placed higher than him in open college tournaments and another he has faired just a hair better against facing shared opponents. GOING TO BE INTERESTING if he does as he should he should be a top 2 seed at Mac championships and make Finals barring injury facing a far tougher schedule than anyone else in the MAC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Solid team, and a chance to move up the rankings as MAC season gets under way. Bummed that the team came to Ohio St w/ so many injuries, but that is the nature of the sport. 

• Upvote 1