Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrestler92

Referee's

Guest wrestler92

One complaint I have seen this year so far is not paying attention to how kids load up.  I have seen so many illegal starting positions and not calling it.  I had mentioned it this weekend to one ref and was told "everyone's doing it, if we started calling it now we would be here all night."  While this is untrue because you call it on one kid 5 times and the match is done, so it would be quicker.  But if it's wrong it needs to be called.  I did see one good ref this weekend that I haven't seen before as well as one a few weeks ago at the Western Hills tournament.

I have to agree about the poor starting positions.  I've seen so many hands in from the elbow instead of behind and hands around the waist to the hip instead of the belly button.  However, for the most part, the refs we have had are pretty decent.  They've let the wrestlers wrestle and have been calling action pretty loose.  But you're right, rules are rules, so call it.

i would have to agree also i have noticed quite a bit that there has been some incorrect starting positions and the refs not calling it. Im not sure if it really has anything to do with an outcome of the match.

But if we don't call the incorrect starting position then why call stalling i mean it is the same basic principle that a rule is not being enforced and it can effect the outcome of a match be if the top guy is already starting with an advantage if he has a tight waist

yea and there is this one ref that isnt the smartest he has no idea that the peterson is a reversal and can receive back points for it watch out he wears glasses and they dont work thats all i know about him

This may be a few days late but Wrestler92 you might want to know the facts before you write or say something.  First on the issue of the 215 final at the Lonesome, nothing happened in the parking lot what was said in the gym stayed in the gym.  Second, you might want to read page 42 in the rules book. Cautions do not cause disqualification.  You are right though, they do need to be penalized and I am sure that you will not have to worry about that on my mat anymore.

Guest wrestler92

Ok, just saying what I heard about the match, sorry.  And if it is a violation you should call it not say" well everyone is doing it and we will be here all day"  If it's wrong it's wrong.  Sorry about the saying the match would be over, but you need to award points and not just say too bad.  And if the guy crawls out of bounds in an army crawl fashion it is fleeing the mat and needs to be called, especially on the second situation. 

Maybe you were watching a different match on the fleeing the mat.  Most all of the refs do their best but sometimes mistakes are still made and sometimes a coach or a fan doesn't agree with a call even if it is a correct call.  But one of the first things a coach teaches their wrestlers are the correct starting positions and that goes for you as well.

I do agree with what has been said thus far, but in all reality, how many of us would do any better??? I can honestly say not many!!! The refs in KY may need to work on their consistency, but they are still people who deserve respect for what they do. Officiating is a hard job, VERY hard (if you don't believe me, try it next year). Stop and think about it: you have wrestlers, coaches, parents, and who knows who else questioning your calls ALL THE TIME!! While we may not agree with how they do it, the fact remains, officials have one of the hardest jobs around. IMHO, they deserve more respect than what they get. I'm not saying I give them as much respect as they deserve, but I try.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!!!

I think most Refs are doing their best, some are there for the money and, some are there to do their best job and the money, I like the latter. When a ref is showboating himself, that is really dissappointing, his time is to just be good at what he does and let the light be on  the wrestlers.

I watched a showboat ref this weekend that is very good but usually does something after he is not paying attention to look good, just be good all the time, do not play each class different depending on the school,,, people notice.

We all want to see a fair match, I would like to see some of the biting calls, this is getting taught to way too many kids, refs need to watch this and escapes out of bounds, good wrestlers know when their opponent is out and some refs are not hustling to see if the kids are out and giving escapes, then back points and reversals are happening the same way.

Refs have to hustle too, all the time, not just when they think someone important is watching.

Anyone guilty need not apply. In general, most refs try, I just do not like the ones there for just the game pay and their own points.

I think the refs are actually getting better one thing that i notice is the improper position of someones foot breaking the plane of the other wrestlers and a ref actually called it this weekend

I agree that most refs are doing a pretty good job.  Everyone does make mistakes and the refs are not exempt from that.  Coaches make mistakes and so do wrestlers!  Yes they do need to be more strict on starting positions and especially things like pulling head gear and singlets but as far as the wrestling (takedowns, back points, pins, etc.) I think they do an admirable job.  Also, dscicle, careful with the quote "KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS".  There was a female ref at Moore who can officiate with the best of any of the guys.  I understand what you mean though.

Every year people find reasons to complain about the refs and we keep having the same ones. Who in their right mind would even want their jobs! During the tournaments they work more hours straight than anyone. Even when they get a 10 minute break between rounds we complain because it goes 20 minutes and we have to sit in the stands longer. I'm sure they would make fewer bad calls if they weren't tired and overstressed.

I think we should agree they do the best they can under difficult circumstances. Ouour wrestlers and coaches should strive to be good enough that they won't lose a match because of a bad call, which is probably a small number anyway.

I hate to reply to this,,,,,,, but,,, I hate the guys that show-boat, look into the stands during a match, (have not figured out why), constantly checking with the keeper (if you know what you have, that's what it is). Don't do flips over the kids to check a shoulder, then lick the mustard off your shirt, I have only seen two of these guys, can someone else name them?

I hate to reply to this,,,,,,, but,,, I hate the guys that show-boat, look into the stands during a match, (have not figured out why), constantly checking with the keeper (if you know what you have, that's what it is). Don't do flips over the kids to check a shoulder, then lick the mustard off your shirt, I have only seen two of these guys, can someone else name them?

Hey, you have seen me on the mat.  Just kidding.  I think these are the few exceptions.

The worst refs i have ever seen are down in Alabama. Our team went to the Tuscaloosa Duals in Northport, Al. They were not consistent with any calls. Two kids could be out of bounds with one kids toe still in the mat and they would not call out of bounds. They would call a take down if a kids feet were still in on one match but the next match they wouldn't call that a takedown. A kid would be stuck and they wouldn't call it but if the ref liked the team he would call a pin for the other kid just like that if the first kids back was on the mat for one second. There were no stalling calls, they have no clue what "potentially dangerous" means (until a kids arm is ripped out of his socket), i saw kids hands and legs touch when getting set for bottom, saw kids pulling each individual finger in front of the referee's eyes, and last but not least they didn't know the difference between a crossface and a punch. So really I'm thankful to be back in Kentucky. The referees are more consistant and know what they are doing here than any other state I've wrestled in.

Guest wrestler92

The worst refs i have ever seen are down in Alabama. Our team went to the Tuscaloosa Duals in Northport, Al. They were not consistent with any calls. Two kids could be out of bounds with one kids toe still in the mat and they would not call out of bounds. They would call a take down if a kids feet were still in on one match but the next match they wouldn't call that a takedown. A kid would be stuck and they wouldn't call it but if the ref liked the team he would call a pin for the other kid just like that if the first kids back was on the mat for one second. There were no stalling calls, they have no clue what "potentially dangerous" means (until a kids arm is ripped out of his socket), i saw kids hands and legs touch when getting set for bottom, saw kids pulling each individual finger in front of the referee's eyes, and last but not least they didn't know the difference between a crossface and a punch. So really I'm thankful to be back in Kentucky. The referees are more consistant and know what they are doing here than any other state I've wrestled in.

Well you should have been at a match today, because you would have seen a referee who didn't know that he could give back points if a guy was in a full bridge and his shoulders weren't touching the mat at all, or you could have seen a referee be more interested in what Trinity was doing on their mat than on the one that he was refereeing because of kin for trinity.  Or lastly you could have seen one not award takedowns near the edge of mats if the knees or bodies hit out of bounds before the feet came down to the mat.  But it seemed the other two were doing just fine, unfortunately we didn't have them.

Ah there's only one thing to do with those kind of refs. There is no place for them up here so I'm afraid we'll have to give em' the boot, and send him to Alabama.  :-D

But the refs have no reflection on the wrestlers down there. They have some pretty stiff competition down there. Especially a team called Prattville.

Kentucky really does have a lot of good refs, I just want them to remember that the kids on that same mat they are on, they busted some rear to be there for them to referee, it really is all about them. The few times I have watched matches in OH, those refs make sure the KY boys know they are in OH, I love it when we dominate some kids just so they know we might be on the way.

As a parent I certainly enjoyed watching one of the refs at the region 7 duals - I think his name was Haywood and he's a reasonable ref - but he's also entertaining during the "down times".  He jokes with the kids, dances when he raises their hands and keeps them amused.  I am curious about the sign when a ref puts the back of both hands on his forehead and then wiggles his fingers? My son told me it means "there's too much red on the mat". 

As long as the days get for the fans, it's great to get  laugh now and then....