Kirsten

moving to KY

We're looking at moving to Kentucky this summer from south Florida. My son is 12, and is currently competing in grappling tournaments at the advanced/ expert level. He's interested in wrestling for middle/high school. We're looking in the Louisville and Lexington areas, and I was just hoping for some input on good locations as far as schools, coaches, gyms, and teams are concerned. I have two other boys playing high level baseball, but that seems easier to find than wrestling/grappling. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

The River City Wrestling Club in Louisville, Kentucky is an excellent option.  They are the 2014 and 2016 Middle School State Champions and their youth program has been runner-up the last two years.  Their coaching staff has been awarded multiple High School and Middle School State Coach of the Year awards.  Their website is http://www.rivercitywrestling.org.  They also run top notch Spring and Summer programs.

• Upvote 2

Middle school programs in the Louisville area
Moore (feeds into Moore Traditional School)
Fern Creek (Fern Creek Traditional)
Fairdale (Fairdale High School)
River City (St. Xavier High School, private all-male)
Shamrock (Trinity, same as St. X)
Relentless Wrestling Club (Central High School)
East Oldham Middle (One of the Oldhams, I think Oldham County)
North Oldham (North Oldham High School)
South Oldham (South Oldham High School)
Oldham County (Oldham County High School)

High School programs without Middle School feeder programs, although they often get kids who competed in middle school
Southern High School 
Eastern High School
Waggener 
Western High School
Pleasure Ridge Park
Doss
Desales (private all boys)
Seneca
Iroqouis
Shawnee
Bullitt Central
Bullitt East
Bullitt North
Valley
Holy Cross (Private but don't know much about them)
DuPont Manual (magnet school)
Male High School (magnet school)

In terms of the wrestling success of the programs
St. X and Trinity have both been top 10 for ages and have a couple state titles between them. Fern Creek, Oldham County, Moore, North Oldham, and Male are usually competitive through out the state. Most of the other programs are fairly tough. Some have been powers in the past but have had trouble with roster size the past couple years such as Seneca and Eastern.

I coach at Moore so I'm somewhat familiar with the Louisville area, not as well versed with Lexington

• Upvote 1

Thanks. This is the best info I've gotten so far. I can find all manner of baseball information, but I keep coming up short on wrestling. I'll look into the schools and areas listed. I've read a bit about St xavier, as they have a good baseball program as well. I just don't think I could afford the price per year for 3 boys. 

I think River City gives discounts for more than one kid.  Not real sure if their website is up to date with that info pricing. 

• Upvote 1

You should look hard at Oldham county (North, South, East, or Oldham)....arguably the best public school system in the state & nice programs for both wrestling and baseball.

One thing to keep in mind is that middle school wrestling in KY is a hybrid school & club association.  So club teams (river city & shamrock) don't have a destination school requirement.....e.g. kids can be destined for any high school.  The school teams have more restrictions & kids must attend that school or a feeder elementry school.

• Upvote 2

We live in Jefferson County (Louisville), but I agree with North... If you want a balance of the best academics and athletics (including wrestling) in a public school setting,  I think the schools in Oldham County outside of Louisville are at the top of the list in the state of Kentucky, particularly North Oldham middle and high schools.

• Upvote 2