Sign in to follow this  
Bearcats Coach

Small School State Team Runner-Up!

Congratulations to North Oldham for being the Small School State Team Runner-up.

Originally the Annoucement was made that our team, Walton-Verona was the Runner-Up team. 

Well that is not the case.

I was notified after our team had already left the arena with the team trophy that we actually took 3rd place in the small school division and North Oldham was 2nd.

North Oldham is great program with great kids and solid coaching staff. They deserve it.

Arrangements will be made to get them their Trophy!

North Oldham, CONGRATS!

John Roth

Head Coach

Walton-Verona HS

• Upvote 4

I liked my idea: have the KHSAA create another trophy, you guys the claim to be the true winner, and then have a dual to determine who gets the real trophy.

Good on you, Coach.

First of all, kudos to Coach Roth. I've been around him for a number of years now and I can say with complete confidence that he is a man of class and honor. Truly one of the good guys!! That being said, I believe we need to change the format for who gets what trophy. In my opinion, why should the small school teams receive extra special attention? It's obvious small school teams can hang in there all the same with the big schools. My thought is, if a big school is your overall KHSAA winner, the first small school is the coaches association winner. If the overall KHSAA winner is a small school, your coaches association winner is from the large school division. Just makes more sense to me. Either that or just do away with the coaches association trophies all together. They really don't do anything else for US with OUR money anyways, so why do trophies either? The middle school association runs circles around these yo-yos!

• Upvote 2

Confused Spectator, please don't misread my post. In no way was my intent to discount North Oldham. I should have given Coach Zeppa and his team their credit. North Oldham absolutely deserves their moment in the spotlight and I apologize for not making that more apparent.