Sign in to follow this  
JJ

2 pounds

what do u think of the 2 pounds coming earlier this year and what do u think about not having to make weight for half the yr to wrestle it at state

Guest cmccoy

The two pound growth allowance occurs on Christmas Day. This was moved to match some of our border states since many teams travel over the Christams Break.

The two pound growth allowance occurs on Christmas Day. This was moved to match some of our border states since many teams travel over the Christams Break.

So, has this been approved by the KHSAA and NWCA?  and when was it approved?

I love the two pound allowance. I just think you should have to make scratch atleast once before you get can get the allowance the kids who have wrestled that weight all year are at a disadvantage from the kids who had the luxury of waiting.

i love it cuz then i can eat a little more and im happy that its earlier becuase i can eat a little more at christmas dinner

So,  do you still have to make scratch wieght by a certain date?

How many wiegh in's do you have to have to compete at that wieght?

You don't have to make scratch weight at all.

You can weigh in at regionals at your lowest weight class as long as your weight assessment says that you can go that weight.

You do not have to wrestle any certain amount of matches at any weight. However, each time you weigh in, you're weight assessment resets according to how much you weighed in last week. I'm not sure what the penalty is if you weight in less than what your assessment says you can weigh.

Sorry, I was wrong, read cmccoy's post.

"An athlete has to make scratch weight at least one time prior to the January 27 deadline, and must have done so on a date that he /she was valid to do so by the NWCA program. There is no longer a 50% rule to monitor. An athlete must have a combination of four matches or four weigh-ins representing the high school during the current season in order to be eligible to enter the region."

This is the reply I recieved from Jullian Tackett(KY wrestling commissioner) when I questioned him about the new rule.

Guest wrestler92

"An athlete has to make scratch weight at least one time prior to the January 27 deadline, and must have done so on a date that he /she was valid to do so by the NWCA program. There is no longer a 50% rule to monitor. An athlete must have a combination of four matches or four weigh-ins representing the high school during the current season in order to be eligible to enter the region."

This is the reply I recieved from Jullian Tackett(KY wrestling commissioner) when I questioned him about the new rule.

That's funny because when I questioned him his reply didn't include anything about scratch weight, if you have something from him would you mind sending it to me?  I would really appreciate it.  I wish all this had been told and settled back in early October instead of mid December!!!

Guest cmccoy

Yes you have to make scratch weight by January 27th. But the scratch weight on Christmas Day. For example, scratch weight for 103 is 103. After Christmas Day there is a two pound growth allowance which makes the new scratch weight 105. So you would have to make 105 by January 27th. It is possible that you never actually make 103 but if you hit 105 by January 27th than you are fine because 105 becomes the new scratch weight. I am on the KHSAA rules advisory committee so if you have any questions feel free to post or PM me

Guest cmccoy

Mathound, you were correct I just think maybe the wording confused some. Guys, we should really be thankful for Mathound in all that he does for wrestling in Kentucky. He is a true wealth of knowledge in the sport and provides a great service for the wrestling community. I hope someday i can meet up with Mathound so I can shake his hand and thank him for his endless work he does.

Guest wrestler92

Well scratch weight prior to this year has always been the designated weight classes themselves, 103.112.119.etc.  So just having to make weight prior to Jan. 27th just means you have to weigh in at the higher weight, not scratch weight.  Adding the two pounds is the growth allowance.  Here is the quote from last years weight program which is still in the khsaa rules online and apparently havent' been upddated which is part of the problem with the supposed  "new" requirements.  Of course we all know the date has been changed to Christmas break too.  so if anyone has the new rules written somewhere or are posted somewhere please share them with everyone else.  Thanks.

3) Each athlete shall have made scratch weight prior to January 15 at the class desired. This is scratch weight, without growth allowances or tournament weight increases. For example, if an athlete has continually made weight at 147 throughout the season, but has never gotten a scratch weigh-in at 145, he would have to certify at 152

Guest wrestler92

I'm sorry I should have been more clear, I meant the whole bylaw, not just a paraphrase of it, are they going to update the website do you know?  Thanks.

Yes you have to make scratch weight by January 27th. But the scratch weight on Christmas Day. For example, scratch weight for 103 is 103. After Christmas Day there is a two pound growth allowance which makes the new scratch weight 105. So you would have to make 105 by January 27th. It is possible that you never actually make 103 but if you hit 105 by January 27th than you are fine because 105 becomes the new scratch weight. I am on the KHSAA rules advisory committee so if you have any questions feel free to post or PM me

Thanks for clearing it up.  I just think it should be a reward the two pounds not the new scratch weight but i'm for anything that will help wrestlers be healthier.

Subject: Wrestling Weight Management Update

For the past several weeks, we have been working to fine tune the NWCA online program to accommodate the KHSAA's full scale implementation of the weight management system. The people at NWCA have been most helpful but still, their system is very slow and cumbersome in terms of entry of the weekly weigh-ins at this time. Please note that there are four attachments to this email.

What I would like to do with this email is to make sure everyone is together on the weight requirements for the 2007 regional and state meets. The requirements and dates have been revised slightly for this year, but in all cases, the rule is either the same application as previously, or slightly more lenient. Here is a summary of the changes -

What is the Hydration threshold? The urine specific gravity requirement prior to testing has been changed to 1.025 from the previous 1.020. It allows the athletes to be slightly dryer and still be valid for testing.

What is the body fat testing deadline? All athletes are to be tested by their first competition match. Due to the data entry problems of early fall, I am allowing entries this year only until December 15, 2006. This should allow all programs to catch up and get their data entered. In the future, the first competition deadline will be clearly enforced.

What about the data entry on the system? Each coach was sent (and attached is a clean copy) a list of schools and coaches that are on file. The coach's login is generally the letters "KY" and three numbers. The first time you login, the password for the coach is the same and you will be asked to change your password to unique numbers and letters you can remember. There is also a "school password". This is NOT the coach's password but rather, is a unique identifier to be used by the assessor when they enter your data. This is done so that assessors can do more than one school.

What is an athlete's deadline to descend? Once an athlete is entered into the NWCA system, the athlete has until January 27 to descend (or lose weight). This date was chosen by the Advisory Committee to coincide with the normal and customary date for the State Duals Tournament. This date will be floating within the revised tournament rules and will be the Saturday of State Duals.

What about kids that come out late? Athletes coming out after the initial testing and prior to January 27 must be tested prior to the first competition, and have the same opportunity to descend based on the program deadline date. This is different than in the past when any late arrival had no descent opportunity. Keep in mind that all wrestlers in order to enter the region, shall have any combination of four matches or four weigh-ins representing the high school, so there is little benefit to having a kid come out extremely late in the year. Any student coming out after January 27 must be tested, has no opportunity for descent, and must meet the four match/weigh-in minimum.

When does the Growth Allowance/Scratch Weight Change? The weight classes for all matches change now on December 25 compared to the previous date of January 15. On December 25, the 103 weight class (and scratch weight for 103) changes to 105, 112 becomes 114, etc. No other growth allowances or tournament allowances may be afforded the athletes.

What about the consecutive day weight allowance? One of the things the NWCA reports do not allow for is the additional growth allowance for consecutive days of wrestling. Those rules have not changed. Keep in mind that in reality, it is not the kids being given a pound (for example), but the entire class being given a pound per day (up to a maximum of two). For example, school R is hosting a tournament on Friday with six teams. One of those teams (team H) notifies R well in advance that they have a dual on Thursday. In that case, all of the weight classes involving athletes for team H, and all other athletes entered in the tournament, are going to be given an additional pound provided that Team R notifies all competing teams more than 48 hours in advance. For example, the NWCA report says a kid can weigh 113.4 on a given day, and the tournament is giving a pound due to the consecutive day rule. The additional pound allowance means kids can weigh 113 and still wrestle 112, but that does not add anything (or take away in this case) to what a kid can weigh by the descent plan. That particular student (with a minimum that day of 113.4) could only wrestle 119 as even with the additional pound added to the weight class, the athlete still can't meet the weight requirement.

How is eligibility determined on a given day? An athlete is only eligible to wrestle at a class for which the NWCA program allows him/her to be on that competition date. For example, a student has a calculated (by January 27) minimum of 113.8 pounds. On December 27, the athlete weighs 114 but the NWCA program says his minimum on that date is 117.3. In that case, the student is eligible to wrestle 119 (121) with a weigh-in at 114, but is not eligible to wrestle 112 (114). As another example, that same student for some reason, only weighs 105 on that date. In that case, the student is not eligible to wrestle in any class since he is only eligible by his scale weight to wrestle at 103 (105) and 112 (114) but his descent plan says he can't yet be at 114.

What do I do as far as recording of weigh-ins? Coaches are to maintain an active log of weigh-ins for each kid. That is the area we continue to work with NWCA on a more convenient way to monitor. You are required each week to enter the weigh-ins of your students for the past week. The Advisory Committee established a deadline of the Tuesday of each week for this entry. More details on the mechanics of this will be forthcoming.

What if an athlete gains a few pounds in a week? An athlete whose weigh-ins show a gain from the previous week will have the descent plan recalculated. This of course, represents the best preventative against kids going up and down.

What do I need to take with me to a match? For now, each coach must take a copy of the Alpha Master Report for his school. Kentucky schools hosting matches are not to accept entries from teams without an alpha master report. This will ensure all meet managers that the weigh-in testing has been done and that all schools are compliant. In the very near future, we hope to be having you take a more accurate report that will state the date of the event you are wrestling, and the weight permitted that day, rather than the alpha report.

What does an athlete have to do to enter the region? An athlete has to make scratch weight (including growth after 12/25) at least one time prior to the January 27 deadline, and must have done so on a date that he /she was valid to do so by the NWCA program. There is no longer a 50% rule to monitor. An athlete must have a combination of four matches or four weigh-ins representing the high school during the current season in order to be eligible to enter the region.

Thank you and more details will be forthcoming.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Julian Tackett

Julian Tackett, Assistant Commissioner

jtackett@khsaa.org

859-299-5472 (phone)

859-293-5999 (fax)