Sign in to follow this  
USMC_KY

Youth Regionals

Good afternoon all. I am fairly new to the area and am trying to wrap my head around the Youth State tournament. I have browsed many of the posts on here and the other Kentucky wrestling websites, but have yet to find clarification on the Youth State process. My understanding is that there are two Youth State Tournaments, one through the state and the other through USA wrestling. The state tournament being one where you have to qualify through a Regional and the USAW one being open to all. Is this information correct? Also being in Eastern Kentucky I was unable to find any information on the youth regional tournament for this area, which is classified as Region 8 at the Middle and High School levels. Do the kids have to qualify through their local Regional or any Regional tournament, and also does anyone have any information on the Region 8 tournament?

I apologize for the load of questions, but I am trying to dive in quickly here and want a good understanding. Thank you for any assistance.

Good afternoon all. I am fairly new to the area and am trying to wrap my head around the Youth State tournament. I have browsed many of the posts on here and the other Kentucky wrestling websites, but have yet to find clarification on the Youth State process. My understanding is that there are two Youth State Tournaments, one through the state and the other through USA wrestling. The state tournament being one where you have to qualify through a Regional and the USAW one being open to all. Is this information correct? Also being in Eastern Kentucky I was unable to find any information on the youth regional tournament for this area, which is classified as Region 8 at the Middle and High School levels. Do the kids have to qualify through their local Regional or any Regional tournament, and also does anyone have any information on the Region 8 tournament?

I apologize for the load of questions, but I am trying to dive in quickly here and want a good understanding. Thank you for any assistance.

There is only one state tournament.  They tried to use USA Wrestling with weight classes and it didn't take off.  The regional tournament is used as a base line for numbers.  If you attend regionals you are allowed to attend state.  Kentucky does not use set weight classes.  We use the 10% rule to limit weight cutting.  As a state we are still trying to build numbers and get max participation.

Bluesdad I believe is Region 8 and may be able to help you.

Good luck with the remainder of the year.

Semper Fi 

I've not been able to find information on the regionals for youth anywhere.  Eastern KY is under Region 5 if it hasn't changed with Johnson County, Martin County, Pike county, Letcher County, Perry County and anyone else in the neighborhood who wants in.  Anyone have any information to share?