Sign in to follow this  
dutch

strength vs. technique

I agree 100%. Technique wins out I'd say 75-80% of the time. But if you can put both together you create a beast. Just from personal experience JJ Jude was great at both. I know there more out there but I watched JJ everyday at practice for 2 years and he was great at both which created a beast.

This is the classic example of how superb technique is made useless by someone with inferior technique but superb conditioning.

I was always taught and I believe the four wrestling traits in order of importance are; technique, conditioning, speed, and strength. This is assuming desire and heart and all other things being equal.

John Smith wasn't especially strong. David Taylor is known for his technique, but I contend his technique, while being excellent, is surpassed by his conditioning. Jordan Burroughs is a physical beast and by the looks of him you'd think his strength is strength. JB wins because of his speed and technique paired with his strength. I bet when he loses it will be because he was gassed.

I think the formula is different for everyone. The Iowa style works for them quite nicely, while the Okie State/John Smith style works for those types as well. If a move doesn't work for an Iowa wrestler Tom Brands teaches them to try it again harder until it works all while applying constant pressure. John Smith teaches the Cowboy wrestlers that when a move doesn't work to try a different move.

JJ Jude was a ferocious beast on the mat though! I'll conclude with saying that a supremely conditioned wrestler with great technique who is fast is tough to beat while a barrell chested strongman who gasses quickly and who can't shoot won't succeed against good wrestlers. If I had my wrestling career to do over again I'd focus more on technique and conditioning and spend less time lifting. I'd also tailor my weightlifting more to wrestling and work the posterior chain muscles: dead lifts, cleans, squats and less bench and curls.

I agree 100%. Technique wins out I'd say 75-80% of the time. But if you can put both together you create a beast. Just from personal experience JJ Jude was great at both. I know there more out there but I watched JJ everyday at practice for 2 years and he was great at both which created a beast.

I think you're probably right at the middle school level. At that level kids tend to forget their training when a stronger kid head snaps them to a front headlock. I enjoy seeing the kids develop the faith in their technique and start beating better athletes.

This is the classic example of how superb technique is made useless by someone with inferior technique but superb conditioning.

I was always taught and I believe the four wrestling traits in order of importance are; technique, conditioning, speed, and strength. This is assuming desire and heart and all other things being equal.

John Smith wasn't especially strong. David Taylor is known for his technique, but I contend his technique, while being excellent, is surpassed by his conditioning. Jordan Burroughs is a physical beast and by the looks of him you'd think his strength is strength. JB wins because of his speed and technique paired with his strength. I bet when he loses it will be because he was gassed.

I think the formula is different for everyone. The Iowa style works for them quite nicely, while the Okie State/John Smith style works for those types as well. If a move doesn't work for an Iowa wrestler Tom Brands teaches them to try it again harder until it works all while applying constant pressure. John Smith teaches the Cowboy wrestlers that when a move doesn't work to try a different move.

JJ Jude was a ferocious beast on the mat though! I'll conclude with saying that a supremely conditioned wrestler with great technique who is fast is tough to beat while a barrell chested strongman who gasses quickly and who can't shoot won't succeed against good wrestlers. If I had my wrestling career to do over again I'd focus more on technique and conditioning and spend less time lifting. I'd also tailor my weightlifting more to wrestling and work the posterior chain muscles: dead lifts, cleans, squats and less bench and curls.

Great response.  When I think of the current middle school wrestlers there are a couple that come to mind.  Leavelle from christian county has to be pound for pound one of the strongest kids i have seen.  Trent Johnson is not just strong but have unbelievable technique as well.  I believe strength is an advantage at the younger ages but the older they get technique seems to overtake the strength.  No doubt that strength,technique,speed and conditioning are the 4 ingredients that make the perfect wrestler.  Not to mention the mental toughness.  That might be the most important of all.