Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 Rankings 1/13/2014

I am ever thankful of having no class on Monday, gives me time to focus on what really matters in life, wrestling. Handful of different results I had to look, PT’s tourney was probably the chief factor deciding most ranking changes. We are starting to get cases of guys holding wins against each other, when stuff like that happens the industry standard is to give the kid with the latest win the edge. As always be sure to let me know if I missed anyone, or any results, I am not infallible as much as I like to tell people I am. Turns out copy and paste is working on chrome, I hate how modern society has to jump between all these different browsers to get things to work properly.

1. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County (1)

2. Saul Ervin, Union County (2)

3. Luie Regaldo, Fort Campbell (3)

4. Devontae Turner, Trigg County (4)

5. Daniel Knight, Christian County (5)

6. Caleb Hammons, Caldwell County (6)

A lot of close matches between everyone, including a Hammons win over Turner that was later avenged, and Sapp squeaked by Daniel Knight with a 7-5 decision. Shows just how tightly contested this weight is from top to bottom, nobody not even Sapp can afford to sleep on anyone at this weight.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County (1)

2. Anthony DeWitt, Fort Campbell (2)

3. Froilan Agulto, Christian County (4)

4. Jack Haynes, Calloway County (5)

5. James Whitaker, Caldwell County (6)

6. London Warren, Paducah Tilghman (UR)

Another case of DeWitt’s absence hurting Fort Campbell, as they finish around 6th at PT despite having 4 champs. Alex Curl has been acceptable in DeWitt’s absence and would probably be 5th in these rankings. I am taking Rodriguez out until he wrestles again.

1. Chance Oxford, Union County (1)

2. Wes Gray, Caldwell County (2)

3. Scott Ruttman, Calloway County (4)

4. Daniel Dyess, UHA (3)

5. Ethan Feezor, Graves County (UR)

6. Matthew Livingston, Trigg County (6)

Gray put an exclamation point at where he stands at this weight with a very quick pin over Dyess. Ruttman then pulled off a big win over Dyess to move him up the rankings. Other than that I just swapped in Feezor since he was wrestling for Graves. Not sure who starts here between Oxford and Dezember, two extremely talented guys for Union.

1. Trae Blackwell, Union County (132)

2. Caleb Austin, Christian County (1)

3. B.J. Miller, Ohio County (3)

4. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg County (4)

5. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman (5)

6. Chance Collins, UHA (6)

It goes to show just how tough this weight is that Derek Miller could have a fantastic tournament and still not break the top 4. I am assuming Blackwell will be here when he recovers from his illness since Ervin wrestled in his spot at 132. Thus we get to see Blackwell duel again with another extremely talented Christian County wrestler, Blackwell’s rivalry with JJ Killebrew graced us with some fantastic wrestling.

1. Brock Ervin, Union County (138)

2. Connor Jaschen, Hoptown (2)

3. Logan Thomas, Calloway County (138)

4. Ryan Bunch, Ohio County (UR)

5. Dalton Putty, UHA (3)

6. Gideon Ellison, Fort Campbell (5)

Thomas cuts down from 138 with an eye on the finals. Both Putty and Ellison didn’t wrestle at PT, and I debated taking them out but I will give them another week before being harsh. Bunch is lower than his results and talent deserve basically because he has so few matches this season, a healthy Bunch might be the favorite for 2nd place. Also Brock appears to have cut down, as a couple Union County guys all appear to move down a weight.

1. Brian Hedrick, Fort Campbell (145)

2. Jackson Oxford, Union County (UR)

3. Daniel Ingram, Trigg County (2)

4. Diion Leavell, Christian County (4)

5. Braden Sperry, Caldwell County (3)

6. Chandler Martin, McCracken County (UR)

Hedrick cuts down to 138 and sticks Ingram. Leavell gets a win over Sperry. And Chandler Martin returns to the scene at 138, this time for McCracken if I am not mistaken. Yet again I look at the Union County results too late into my work, as it stands Oxford and Hedrick are basically dead even but I give the edge to Hedrick because he is a senior, but I would almost put money on Oxford upsetting him, two really talented wrestlers.

1. Chad Gahafer, Union County (1)

2. Kevi Matlock, Christian County (2)

3. Chris Gilkey, Caldwell County (3)

4. Ryan Gallogly, Trigg County (6)

5. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell (UR)

6. Evan Martin, Paducah Tilghman (UR)

We have our first refugees from this weight as Hedrick cuts down to 138, and Frank moving back up to 152. Even without him this weight is still tough and one of the best in the region in just the top 3 alone

1. Keegan Agnew, Caldwell County (1)

2. Robert Bussell, Hoptown (2)

3. Isaiah Frank, Calloway County (145)

4. Kobe Perry, Christian County (3)

5. Tim Pike, Union County (5)

6. Jaishon Faishon, Trigg County (UR)

The top 4 seems virtually set with the return of Frank. Frank and Bussell look to battle it out for second place while Agnew still seems to be the clear cut favorite. Perry is the best of the rest, but never count out a Union kid. Faishon had a very good tourney but needs to wrestle more of the same to hop over Pike.

1. Nathan Williams, Hoptown (1)

2. Avery Buckman, Union County (2)

3. Justin Newby, Christian County (UR)

4. Jeremy Hackworth, McCracken County (4)

5. Will Crabtree, UHA (5)

6. Conner Keenan, Fort Campbell (UR)

Still never sure who is Christian County’s final answer at 160, but they all are getting around the same results. Hackworth continues to solidify himself as a threat with a couple close matches against Williams. Walls has not impressed me that much and a loss to Christian County’s backup hurts him here, I basically have him deadlocked with Keenan so this week I will put Keenan in the 6th spot.

1. Ki Ryder, Fort Campbell (1)

2. Isaac Lawson, Hoptown (2)

3. Kane Morris, Union County (3)

4. Xavier Pate, Christian County (4)

5. Rustin Burkeen, Calloway County (5)

6. Jared Turner, Paducah Tilghman (6)

Lawson continues to give Ryder all he can handle, but no changes for this week

1. Devin Smith, Union County (1)

2. Gino Haywood, Fort Campbell (2)

3. Jacob Harris, Christian County (3)

4. Tyler Wilson, Calloway County (4)

5. Collin Feezor, Graves County (5)

6. Christian Cruz, Hoptown (UR)

None of the big names really wrestled each other to my knowledge, so not much to change here.

1. Aaron Stevens, Trigg County (1)

2. Cole Sherman, Union County (2)

3. Kajwan Majors, Christian County (3)

4. Mario Miles, Hoptown (4)

5. Cody Jackson, Calloway County (5)

6. Levi Gross, McCracken County(UR)

Another weight without much to report.

1. Zach Farris, Ohio County (1)

2. Tevin Toler, Christian County (2)

3. Bryan Carter, Union County (3)

4. Colby Culver, Calloway County (4)

5. AJ Ogburn, Fort Campbell (6)

6. Eugene Butler, Hoptown (5)

Toler has narrowed the gap somewhat with Farris, with Farris winning a close match 4-2 their last outing. Culver and Ogburn both had excellent tournaments which helps move Ogburn up a spot.

1. Raynel Brown, Union County (1)

2. Luke Shaffer, Ohio County (2)

3. Noah Kennedy, Caldwell County (3)

4. Jake Jorstad, Fort Campbell (4)

5. Dezjuan Owen, Hoptown (6)

6. Maurice Catlett, Trigg County (UR)

Kennedy has been on fire this past week but was unable to pull out a win over Shaffer. Hephner drops out after losing matches to Kendall (now Kennedy’s backup it seems) and Catlett. Owen 5-match ruled out so we don’t know who would’ve won between him and Catlett.

Team

1. Union County (51.5)

Union in a sense could be kingmaker for second place depending on the finals weights for their stars. Union could wrestle blindfolded and still win the region, thus their lineup will be focused on what gives them the best shot at a state title.

2. Fort Campbell (21)

Fort Campbell shoots back up to second following an excellent performance at the Steve Johnston Classic, coming away with four champs. Their team finish was still relatively low since they were missing point scorers in DeWitt (still recovering) and Jorstad (recovering from something I guess). A couple kids such as little Ryder are starting to come off injury helping to fill some glaring holes in the lineup. Like I’ve said, when this team pulls it together they have an outside shot at top 10 in the state.

3. Christian County (20.5)

Half a point, a region placer in my system, separates Christian County from Fort Campbell right now. I’ll say it again; this team race is very close. Christian County benefits from far more consistency than Fort Campbell and is probably one of the most naturally talented teams in the region.

4. Hoptown (16.5)

Hoptown is still the dark horse in the race, if Lawson can upend Ryder at 170 than  Hoptown could easily jump over the two teams ahead of it.

5. Ohio County (16)

Struggling with a lot of holes in their lineup, Ohio County still shows how tough of a team they are. If they catch a few lucky breaks then second is still well within sight. Of the rest, Caldwell continues to wrestle very tough and is still in this race too, Gilkey playing a key role in their chances at such a tough weight. Trigg and Calloway are dangerous but not quite top 3 threats right now. The rest have too few wrestlers to compete to their fullest potential.

6. Caldwell County (14)

7. Trigg County (11)

8. Calloway County (10)

9. UHA (2.5)

10. Paducah Tilghman (2)

10. McCracken County (2)

12. Graves County (1)

Man what do I have to do to get some chatter here? haha

Next rankings I should make a really bad mistake just to have people talk. Shoot I should've done something like bump Saul over Sapp

If union does that, I firmly believe Dezember would be at that 120 weight class over Oxford. Interesting situation. Saul vs. Sapp, toss-up. Definitely can see Gray in the finals at 120 as well. 

Man what do I have to do to get some chatter here? haha

Next rankings I should make a really bad mistake just to have people talk. Shoot I should've done something like bump Saul over Sapp

Maybe...just maybe, the rankings are dead on and no one has any room to complain???

Where is Sells from Christian? I haven't seen results for him yet but haven't heard anything about him not wrestling. I would imagine he would figure in these rankings somewhere.

Bah there's always room to complain, I am friends with the guy who does Flo's college rankings and he knows more about the sport then I could dream of and his rankings still get trashed.

I am unsure of what happened with either Sells, there are something's I noticed on Social media but nowhere near enough to even consider spreading any sort of rumor. He still might come back, Chandler Martin and Noah Kennedy came back out of nowhere themselves

Is it true that the younger Ryder is back on the mat and why has he not been wrestling before now?  You know FCHS/JCU that you will definitely be changing your ranking really soon!! This kid can roll once he gets going. 

He has been hurt to my knowledge, not sure if he is back for sure though. I have heard that perhaps his injury is too persistent. I would love to see him back, but he is one of many good wrestlers that the Falcons have lost to injuries, Nighgell Davidson probably being the biggest name that I have been told not to expect back

Have never heard of  Davidson. He most be a new one on the Campbell team. Another transfer I expect but that is the luxury of coaching a DOD school but I am sure that is one of the few luxuries. I know last year the Campbell's team had some good ones. Their 138 was good and of course the older Ryder which is a monster this year. He got huge since I saw him over the summer up at Mater Dei and he was down at Nationals at VA Beach last year to if I remember correctly. The younger Ryder though is going to be a good up and comer for sure! 

Nighgell was on the team last year, competed at 145. He beat Robert Bussell of Hoptown in a great match before getting DQed in a match against Gallogly that was the go to match.

My senior year was Ki's first year on the team. If you had told me that this silly looking kid who was running sprints in a polo would one day be as good as Ki is today I would've laughed at you. I remember halfhalfhalf telling me how good Ki was going to be on day, one of the few times he proved me wrong. Both Ryder boys are some of the most committed and hard working wrestlers I have ever seen. A truly good example for younger wrestlers.

We have also been blessed with some great transfers through the years. Zack Bontrager, Brandon Campbell, Matt Woods, etc

But I mean at the same time we have lost a lot of really good and promising kids as well. It's truly a double edged sword

FCHS, I just checked out your latest rankings and I see a couple weights that are going to change once they finally meet. Rankings are great but never 100% accurate. I do commend you on how much you are able to keep up with this and all the effort you put in just to hear critics like myself want to put our thoughts. I know we should do one ourself but then that would defeat the purpose of us telling you that you are wrong, haha! I think Buckman takes N. Williams when they do get to meet. I know looking at their records is one thing but Union's schedule is a lot tougher. Buckman beat Christian Brothers starter and Williams lost to their back-up. I believe Oxford will take Hedrick at 138. After watching Hedrick at the duals at Ft Campbell I do not believe he has enough in his tank to pull a first place in region 1. But I guarantee Hedrick will beat Gilkey once he drops to 138 which I have been told he is. Hedrick will not let a ref lose another match for him. Now I am bracing for the comebacks.

I definitely don't disagree with you on any of those predictions. The problem with doing rankings is I have to find a reason to justify moving someone up or down, and I refuse to let myself become a ranker who says "I just think this guy is better." My rankings are always common wins first, then in cases like Union I usually end up giving the edge to the upperclassman even though I know that in most cases Union holds the advantage. I don't let myself make actual predictions until regionals.

For a college example of the rankings paradox, I knew Jon Morrison wasn't going to win at 133 but you had to rank him first because he was the last undefeated returning AA. Ramos is the best 133 but he had two losses before beating Morrison

I am unsure of what happened with either Sells, there are something's I noticed on Social media but nowhere near enough to even consider spreading any sort of rumor. He still might come back, Chandler Martin and Noah Kennedy came back out of nowhere themselves

Wasn't he at PT last year/this year? I saw him at the Tilghman tourney. He had a good match with Hedrick. Also noticed the Tilghman coaches were coaching him from a distance. What's the deal with that?

It could have been redistricting or school of choice, since Reidland/Heath/Lone Oak didn't have a wrestling program. McCracken Co has just about all 1st year kids, maybe all but Martin.

Sign in to follow this