Sign in to follow this  
overtimeking

Natural wrestlers

We have had a few guys come out over the summer that are not wrestlers and have not done it since middle school and are still tough kids.  I think it is wierd how some people are just made for wrestling like it comes natural to them or something.

This summer i went to IU's wrestling camp. Trinity's team was there... Their varsity runningback for their football team this year (Tim Phillips), who had never wrestled before was killing everyone. On his second day EVER wrestling, IU's head assistant coach Mike Mena took nearly an entire period or so just to get a takedown. Tim Phillips is only a sophomore, and much like Joe Powers, i can see him winning state in the next season or two. (He weighs about 144 in case your wondering, and hes the strongest Ive ever seen'em come.)

He is most definitely a natural wrestler...even tho he doesn't give a rip.

This summer i went to IU's wrestling camp. Trinity's team was there... Their varsity runningback for their football team this year (Tim Phillips), who had never wrestled before was killing everyone. On his second day EVER wrestling, IU's head assistant coach Mike Mena took nearly an entire period or so just to get a takedown. Tim Phillips is only a sophomore, and much like Joe Powers, i can see him winning state in the next season or two. (He weighs about 144 in case your wondering, and hes the strongest Ive ever seen'em come.)

He is most definitely a natural wrestler...even tho he doesn't give a rip.

Joe Powers was a football player too....runningback also...the funny thing is joe claimed 2 years before he wrestled "Ill never wrestle,im not feelin the tights and feelin on other men makes me feel a little gay"....a season and a half later he won state and is about to wrestle in college for IU....thats hilarious..

We just had a guy come in today. He's a junior and it was his first wrestling practice. He was strong and obviously a good athlete. Aside from that, he picked up and things like shooting, sprawling, working from the ground, and stance before I really even showed him anything. He looks like he might be a good 160 varsity wrestler, though he'll probly be j.v. because of our current 160.

We just had a guy come in today. He's a junior and it was his first wrestling practice. He was strong and obviously a good athlete. Aside from that, he picked up and things like shooting, sprawling, working from the ground, and stance before I really even showed him anything. He looks like he might be a good 160 varsity wrestler, though he'll probly be j.v. because of our current 160.

Wrestling Practice??????

Ya can't start practice until Oct. 15th.

Conditioning/practice. I don't call it conditioning. I always just say practice. And it wasn't being taught to us. It was me and this guy getting together and wrestling.

I see both Vaughns, Robbie and Ryan as being true naturals, Robbie starting his third year and Ryan starting his second, first being short because of a Small break to heal from football nicks and scrapes, they both had a lot ot help from Gary Brown and Mark Cooper, which they know was very important to their success, Robbie went to camp and found out other things he could do, he has taught Ryan what he has learned, Ryan made up his experince by wrestling 171 to start while weighing 145, the OH boys blackened his eyes to make him much smarter, I see him being in the top five by the end of the year with J. Cooper being his wrestling partner

the OH boys blackened his eyes to make him much smarter.

Wow just having Ohio boys blacken your eyes makes you smarter :lol: :evil:

I need to try this out with some of the wrestlers I know.  :-D

Not many of  them are known for thier brains.  :wink: :mrgreen:

Conditioning/practice. I don't call it conditioning. I always just say practice. And it wasn't being taught to us. It was me and this guy getting together and wrestling.

Yeah I know what you mean.We have probly 8-9 guys after school everyday(not including our incoming freshmen) lifting and then wrestling.Our coach doesnt teach us anything though,its basically our varsity guys wrestling.We have 75% of our team on the >-cc->((Cross country)) team,its funny seeing our fat kids run 3 miles..coach calls it the fat man relay!!

I just know after that meet we seen him the parking lot and he was telling some of the other kids how he would not let someone get him those moves again, he was missing some skin off of his shoulders, chin, and forehead (the black eyes were worse a couple days later), it was actually quite comical, the they put him to his wrestling weight and faired well after that, I think 17-4 counting regionals and state

Grant's always had one of the best builds at any age, period.  :|

Its funny how some people are just built cut, and when they do work out they look like their on steroids lol