Sign in to follow this  
MLee

Youth Bylaws

So the bylaws state that youth state will be wrestled by the weight classes listed. How/why are we ignoring the bylaws and not using weight classes.

I had the same question so I spoke w/ Stan Martin, who was apart of creating the bylaws.  He gave me a history lesson (which a lot of us could probably use) about the growing pains of youth wrestling in our state, including the bylaws.  According to him, there have been a few revisions to the original bylaws I posted.  He's looking for the revised bylaws for us.  If and when I get my hands on them, I'll be sure to post.  One of the revisions pertained to set weight classes.        

Apparently after having a year of using set weight classes and having many problems, the association agreed to use the 10% rule for all age groups.  According to him, there were multiple small brackets (less than 5) and many large brackets (more than 20).  This shouldn't suprise anyone because we've looked at many different "set weight class" formats and noticed the same results.  I'll gladly run the #'s using the "original" weight classes and post the results. 

One thing is for sure, our youth association needs to get the bylaws in order.  I was pleasantly surprised how well thought out, organized, and thorough the original bylaws actually are, however all coaches should a current copy.