Sign in to follow this  
ThirdRound

Semi-Finals....Your picks !

106     Scaggs - Burroughs  /  Vega - Stephens

113     Rearic - Hall  /  Beeler - Boston            I think Beeler was Abernathy last year...hmmm !!!

120     Blackwell - Whalen  /  Owens - Duncan

126     Heirdorf - Ervin  /  Shirkey - Parrott

132     North - Wilkerson  /  Fausz - Ageyman

138     Sander - Carr  /  Hamilton - Kahl

145     Wurth - Lampe  /  Rupp - Clay

152     Smith - Cooper  /  Jones - Lampe

160     Myers - Montgomery  /  French - Courtney

170     Meiman - Bauer  /  Willbanks - Canter

182     Pledger - Carmen  /  Chamblee - Steele

195     Holtzclaw - McDaniel  /  Davis - Thompson

220     Jennings - Myers  /  Mueller - Maine

285     Troxell - Caudill  /  Young - Jorstad

I went through the brackets and picked my winners in the groups of 8 per bracket......I see these wrestlers coming out to the semis !!!!

This is better than picking just the winners.....Best of luck to all this week !

Three 220s from reg six that's impressive ,

You know better than me probably but I will take Bryant in the semis over Troxell , the gym rat in me I guess ,

Other than Austin I just went for it.....I have seen Mueller go this year and thats about it. As for the Troxell pick, I just like the young man and his family, they were nice folks and spent some time with them in Indiana for Team Kentucky.....He is strong and fast for a big man....Thee kind of guy to get by Bryant...Went with a gut pick there.

Best of luck to all participants....All great kids. Should be one of the best State Tournaments ever.....Happy 50th Kentucky State Wrestling Championships !!!!!

You may be right I have only seen each once in person one in a tournament one in a practice ,of course I watched some of Bryant's matches last yr and this yr again on the Internet .

Mueller is a very good fresh and Maines is a good sr who has done well in some decent tournaments , he looked off a bit to me at regionals not sure if he cuts or what he just had a different look than earlier this yr , , Muellers only problem

May maturity he could possibly get manhandled a bit by some older kids , he is technically sound and built like a good 220 perhaps a little undersised but will make a good one , I could easily see him dominating the class his Sr yr with Austin out of the way ,

Mpire....Who do you think will get to the semis with Austin ?........I truly didn't see a lot of them......I always love watching ATM, but you don't want to blink or you miss some of his !!!

106- Stephens/Vega-Burroughs/Bowen

113- Nevels/Dezember-Boston/McCain

120- Blackwell/Whalen-Siler/Duncan

126- Ervin/Vasquez-Blanton/Shirkey

132- Lawson/Wilkerson-Fausz/Barton

138- Jude/Carr-Hamilton/Ruiz

145- Young/Lampe-Polley/Lee

152- Lampe/Jones-Cooper/Agnew

160- Myers/Montgomery-Courtney/French

170- Canter/Willbanks-Parriman/Bauer

182- Carmen/Smith-Morrow/Chamblee

195- Preston/Noe-T.Thompson/K.Thompson

220- Niece/Mattingly-Myers/Jennings

285- Blevins/Lawson-Bryant/Couch

106- Stephens/Vega-Burroughs/Bowen

113- Nevels/Dezember-Boston/McCain

120- Blackwell/Whalen-Siler/Duncan

126- Ervin/Vasquez-Blanton/Shirkey

132- Lawson/Wilkerson-Fausz/Barton

138- Jude/Carr-Hamilton/Ruiz

145- Young/Lampe-Polley/Lee

152- Lampe/Jones-Cooper/Agnew

160- Myers/Montgomery-Courtney/French

170- Canter/Willbanks-Parriman/Bauer

182- Carmen/Smith-Morrow/Chamblee

195- Preston/Noe-T.Thompson/K.Thompson

220- Niece/Mattingly-Myers/Jennings

285- Blevins/Lawson-Bryant/Couch

Kind of curious as to why a few of your picks......I am looking at head to head ...like opponents and competition levels etc.....example Nevels and McCain.....great kids and good wrestlers but their resumes don't add up.......another is Blanton.....Do you really think he can go toe to toe with Parrott ?????

Kind of curious as to why a few of your picks......I am looking at head to head ...like opponents and competition levels etc.....example Nevels and McCain.....great kids and good wrestlers but their resumes don't add up.......another is Blanton.....Do you really think he can go toe to toe with Parrott ?????

First off anything can and does happen at state so you can throw the head to heads out the window.

As to do I think Geordon can go toe to toe with Parrot, sure I do. He anyone can wrestle with anyone for one match. Geordon resume is solid. He has wrestled top kids from Va, Wv, and Oh all year and won. Does that mean he beats Parrot? No it doesn't.

While these predictions are my opinion I truly feel try can come true. While some maybe my region 8 bias (lol) I have confidence in these kids like many others from other regions do in there's kids. While I may not be correct on all I think I will on most.

Bluesdad.....I forgot to ask you about Troxell and Blevins.....Did you see them wrestle and is Blevins the real deal ? Thanks !

Blevins is a beast. Big, strong, agile, and athletic. He has wrestled some very good kids this year and beat most of them. 2 of his loses are to the OH #1 and WV #1 and wrestle them to good matches 3-2 against the WV kid and I can't remember the score vs the OH kid but yes hes a solid wrestler.

106-Thacker/Lawson & Stephens/Vega

113-Rearic/Dezember & Boston/Beeler

120-Blackwell/Whalen & Austin/Siler

126-Ervin/Heidorf & Shirkey/Parrot

132-Lawson/Gilkey & Fausz/Agyeman

138-Carr/Perez & Hamilton/Sahms

145-Lampe/Young & Rupp/Polley

152-Agnew/Cooper & Lampe/Bunch

160-Meyers/Montgomery & Shacklett/Courtney

170-Bauer/Meiman & Mcintosh/Canter

182-Pledger/Carman & Chamblee/Morrow

195-Preston/Noe & Conard/Stevens

220-Jennings/Myers & Mueller/Niece

285-Bryant//Caudill & Blevins/Lawson

First off anything can and does happen at state so you can throw the head to heads out the window.

As to do I think Geordon can go toe to toe with Parrot, sure I do. He anyone can wrestle with anyone for one match. Geordon resume is solid. He has wrestled top kids from Va, Wv, and Oh all year and won. Does that mean he beats Parrot? No it doesn't.

While these predictions are my opinion I truly feel try can come true. While some maybe my region 8 bias (lol) I have confidence in these kids like many others from other regions do in there's kids. While I may not be correct on all I think I will on most.

Also something else about Blanton being able to hang with these guys. When he wrestle Shirky last Shirky won 3-1. So yes I think he can hang with them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Blevins is a beast. Big, strong, agile, and athletic. He has wrestled some very good kids this year and beat most of them. 2 of his loses are to the OH #1 and WV #1 and wrestle them to good matches 3-2 against the WV kid and I can't remember the score vs the OH kid but yes hes a solid wrestler.

Thanks for the info.......My bodyguard is a 6'7" size 17 shoe wearing Freshman that's in that Blevins group....he he he.   Got to have one after posting in here sometimes.!  Should be some great battles for the BIG BOYS.......I do like Josh Jude and JT Siler a lot.......There are some real good wrestlers coming out of that Region 8 and happy to see you stick by them.  I am the same way in Region 7......Pulling for those homeboys !

Thanks for the info.......My bodyguard is a 6'7" size 17 shoe wearing Freshman that's in that Blevins group....he he he. Got to have one after posting in here sometimes.! Should be some great battles for the BIG BOYS.......I do like Josh Jude and JT Siler a lot.......There are some real good wrestlers coming out of that Region 8 and happy to see you stick by them. I am the same way in Region 7......Pulling for those homeboys !

Is Young your son? If so he's a great kid and wrestler. Talked to him some last year at middle school matches. I think him and Blevins has a shot to match up. Should be fun.

Bluesdad- Who did he wrestle from Ohio that was number 1 and by what ranking? I follow Ohio a lot and read the last Brakemen report so I would be curious to know the name. Also with me being very familiar with Ohio teams what schools did Johnson Central compete against? Just because you compete in Ohio doesn't mean you’re wrestling the "Ed's" of the world. Ohio has some great teams but there are some pretty bad ones too.

I remember years ago Conner use to go to Lebanon Duals, Finneytown, and Valley View. We either won or finished 2nd in every one of those tournaments. We were a solid team, finished 7th that year at state, but by no means would I call any of the teams we faced there a "top Ohio" team. A lot of time here in Northern Kentucky we talk about us wrestling in Ohio and facing this stellar competition but at the end of the day, outside SWOWCA, GMVCA I think we tend to over exaggerate the quality of competition. Now with saying that there are weight classes at Wadsworth, Hammer, Fairfield that are loaded weight classes but as a whole they are not the best representation of Ohio wrestling.

I was talking with some parents this weekend at regionals and the debate came up with some parents from CC, Ryle, and Walton as to which tournament would you rather go to: SWOWCA or GMVCA. I personally felt like if you take out Moeller from SWOWCA and Graham from GMVCA then I think CC, Ryle or SK could win those tournaments. Having just one or two heavy hitters in a field doesn't make that tournament "that much better" as some would like to say. 

Mpire you have more knowledge then probably all of us on this debate so I would be very curious to see what you had to say. Back to what I was saying before thou, Bluesdad does JC go to Parkerburg anymore for their HUGE tournament? And who has Preston and Blanton wrestled and lost too this year? I do think Blanton can hang for one match against Parrott, and by hang I mean keep it within a maj.dec. However, I did say Adams would run through Region 6 and that didn't happen.

Bluesdad- Who did he wrestle from Ohio that was number 1 and by what ranking? I follow Ohio a lot and read the last Brakemen report so I would be curious to know the name. Also with me being very familiar with Ohio teams what schools did Johnson Central compete against? Just because you compete in Ohio doesn't mean you’re wrestling the "Ed's" of the world. Ohio has some great teams but there are some pretty bad ones too.

I remember years ago Conner use to go to Lebanon Duals, Finneytown, and Valley View. We either won or finished 2nd in every one of those tournaments. We were a solid team, finished 7th that year at state, but by no means would I call any of the teams we faced there a "top Ohio" team. A lot of time here in Northern Kentucky we talk about us wrestling in Ohio and facing this stellar competition but at the end of the day, outside SWOWCA, GMVCA I think we tend to over exaggerate the quality of competition. Now with saying that there are weight classes at Wadsworth, Hammer, Fairfield that are loaded weight classes but as a whole they are not the best representation of Ohio wrestling.

I was talking with some parents this weekend at regionals and the debate came up with some parents from CC, Ryle, and Walton as to which tournament would you rather go to: SWOWCA or GMVCA. I personally felt like if you take out Moeller from SWOWCA and Graham from GMVCA then I think CC, Ryle or SK could win those tournaments. Having just one or two heavy hitters in a field doesn't make that tournament "that much better" as some would like to say.

Mpire you have more knowledge then probably all of us on this debate so I would be very curious to see what you had to say. Back to what I was saying before thou, Bluesdad does JC go to Parkerburg anymore for their HUGE tournament? And who has Preston and Blanton wrestled and lost too this year? I do think Blanton can hang for one match against Parrott, and by hang I mean keep it within a maj.dec. However, I did say Adams would run through Region 6 and that didn't happen.

Morgan kid from Lakeside OH OWC rankings I think

Is Young your son? If so he's a great kid and wrestler. Talked to him some last year at middle school matches. I think him and Blevins has a shot to match up. Should be fun.

Nope...Couldn't afford to feed him or keep him in shoes.....I got one in the mix about half his size.   Just don't put him out there on the chopping block....Like you said, should be fun at State this year......Trying to enjoy every last minute of it.......Enjoy Bluesdad, it goes way too fast......Just blessed here and loving every minute of it !

Third round , I missed a lot of 220 CC wrestles in Ohio a lot. It he did well against them and not their scrubs he beat three ranked kids 1 in each div 1 3x and one was ranked 1 till he beat him ,

CC won big school GMVWA and yes they would have won Swowca without Moeller there and gave them

Fits if they were "why do you Think they were dropped by the Swowca committee " Sk could do well as would Ryle but I saw Ryle enter Swowca with a more loaded team than they have presently and start of well and fall

Behind , CC team is better than anyone thought 8 reg champs Fairfield champs GMVWA champs and ow and award winners in every tournament they entered , I know I brag and talk smack a lot it's just my nature but you will find I talk smack about all the kids I get to know lol I love e erroneous really I'm a soft hearted person ,

but Campbell County is legit and backed up all the smack now as for state who knows its insane there are no seeds it's all

Mixed up so a scoring will be hard to guess , 12 kids out of 13 going and the other one in a sling , not bad for CC , no school in Cincy could beat them except Moe no doubt in my mind and they would make state duals in Ohio and they take top eight so that's my thoughts on it .

And yes Mcillrath / Myers second round , :)And

That class is as good as 170 , French Stephen , Courtney Montgomery , all would place at 170 and probably some others as well and I would

Put Stephen against any 170 no doubt about it . He would beat them .sorry fan its a fact and if it's bandwagon time I will jump on mine

Have I ever said that Stephen wouldn't win the 170 ? The only thing I've ever said is that I believe that overall the 170's is the strongest field from 1-32 but with the 106's that I've seen entered now 170 may be the 2nd hardest field. 

Either way I've never said anything about jumping on band wagons or anything negative against you or your sons. I've only said great things about them. My biggest compliment was possibly having my nephew work out with your sons a little during the summer. 

Also something else about Blanton being able to hang with these guys. When he wrestle Shirky last Shirky won 3-1. So yes I think he can hang with them.

You must be thinking of someone else. The last time Shirkey/Blanton wrestled was in 2009 Middle School State at 82 lbs and Shirkey won 6 to 3. Also I believe Blanton was in 5th grade then and Shirkey was in 6th. This year Shirkey is in 10th grade and Blanton is in 8th. A lot of time has passed since then.

You must be thinking of someone else. The last time Shirkey/Blanton wrestled was in 2009 Middle School State at 82 lbs and Shirkey won 6 to 3. Also I believe Blanton was in 5th grade then and Shirkey was in 6th. This year Shirkey is in 10th grade and Blanton is in 8th. A lot of time has passed since then.

Maybe your right but I thought they wrestled last year for aome reason. You can say what you want to but Blanton can hang with those guys. May not beat them but he for sure wouldn't get majored. Your right alot of time has passed and Blanton has got a lot better.

106 buroughs vs lawson. Vega vs stephens. 113 rearic vs hall. Kline vs boston. 120 blackwell vs whalen. Siler vs duncan. 126 heidorf vs ervin. Shirkey vs parrott 132 rosado vs wilkerson. Fauz vs ageyman. 138 jude vs carr. Hamliton vs ruiz. 145 young vs lampe. Rupp vs polley. 152 agnew vs cooper. Jones vs lampe. 160 myers vs montgomery. French vs courtney. 170. Pairaman vs bauer. Willbanks vs canter. 182 pledger vs carman. Chamblee vs morrow 195 holtscalw vs noe. Thompson vs thompson. 220 jennings vs myers. Matignley vs neice 285 troxell vs miskell. Blevins vs lawson

Not hating on you fan it's just you do great stuff but it's all 170 170 , I mean if I wanted to be for real I think Justin Lampe could win 170 as well

As Stephen Kevin , possibly French , Dominic Lampe ,many of the 160s would

Place there a few 152 and maybe a couple 145 s

That's not that tough to me !!!! It is deep and good but it's not the toughest class and neither is 106 , 152 160 145 have more studs in them I'm

Talking killers that can wrestle multiple classes and do well , 170 is just as tough but not any tougher . And most of them

Are there escaping Stephen and Kevin as everyone knows but won't admitt .

106 doesn't have anyone that can scratch a top national

Level kid , heck a seventh grader might win it !!!! And now your saying it' the second toughest class in the state , I'm about to lose my mind here . Lol