Sign in to follow this  
Irish Wrestler

Region Seeding Meetings

If every wrestler is seeded in a 10-12 wrestler weight class,  the top seeds should get a bye.  Normally, only the top 4-6 are seeded and the byes are drawn in at random.  Then the remaining wrestlers are drawn in.

giving byes to top seeds effect team scores, honestly you dont want your #1 or 2 seeds to get byes because they should pin in the first round instead of receiving 2 points for a bye if they win or pin in the second round.

bigd.  We have both done this for a loooong time.

I would challenge you to look at any tournament and see if it would change the outcome of the tourney if the #1 seeds got the 1st bye and so on.

It should all equal itself out in the end. 

It also helps ensure that the kids get the placement they deserve. 

I have seen it many times that a kid does not get seeded top 4 and only 4 are seeded, (and maybe could beat the 4th seed).

He draws the #1 kid first round and looses (in an 8 man bracket) then wins and has to wrestle the #3.  Takes a loss then ends up 5th and never had the opportunity to wrestle the #4.

To me getting the right kids to the state tourney is much more imortant than what team wins the regional tournament.

NFHS Wrestling Rules Book

Rule 10 Section 3 Article 2

. . . There shall be no byes after the first round of competition in both the championship and consolation brackets, and no further drawing is necessary for championship or consolation rounds.

10-3-3. . . When byes are required for the first round, they shall be placed by mutual consent or drawn so they are distributed evenly throughout the bracket.

10-3-4. . . No quarter-bracket or half-bracket shall have more than one bye in excess of its paired bracket.

10-3-5. . . After seeded wrestlers have been placed in the bracket and the byes drawn, remaining wrestlers shall be placed by draw.