Sign in to follow this  
eville dad

Swowca Glenn Sample Holiday Classic / Southwestern Coaches Tourney 2012 - Overview

Comments and observations from the Danimal per YAPPI.

Teams

Moeller is the top D1 team in the District, but we saw chinks in the Crusader armor this weekend....they have yet to gel the way many expect they will come post-season. Loveland is clearly the next best team with Fairfield and Mason several steps behind. What I like is that several schools have a few outstanding competitors that make watching this tournament fun and unpredictable. Mason was better than I thought, and Ross is a seriously outstanding team who will be a favorite in the state duals coming up this winter. Love the balance you can see in the team scores...this means SW Ohio and NKY wrestling is getting better.

Last year Patrick Kearney was a little slow, a little pudgy but a solid wrestler. The new Kearney is lean, strong, quick and relentless. He stomped everyone including the closest battle with Gage Branson, 8-2...it wasn't that close. Two wrestlers really emerged at this tournament: Peter Vuyk from Loveland and Rey Gatica, Fairfield . Both had outstanding tournaments placing 2nd and 4th respectively. Also noted was a great showing by Anthony Jagel, the tiny titan from Middletown who mowed through SIX opponents to take 3rd after losing in round 1 to Kruspe, Moe who he later beat.

I predicted Dakota Riley would lose in the semis, what a stupid prediction! Riley from Mt Vernon is a state title contender having finished 3rd last year at State. He ripped through the field taking down Conner Ziegler in the final 6-3. Great showings at 113 by Brandon Tucker of Loveland and Alec Logsdon from Lebanon. LaSalle's Milano took 3rd dropping his semi-final to Ziegler 9-5 and not looking as good as he has in the past.

I had heard about Ryle's Gus Adams, but at Coaches Classic he was phenominal beating Clouse, Quinn and Daly in succesion to take the title. Impressive. Kentucky also won the 3rd place medel with Elijah Owens of Simon Kenton wrestling an outstanding tournament. Rumor has it that young Jacoby Ward failed to make weight...too bad, he looked very good.

Josh Parrett, a defending champion from 2011, put in a workman like performance beating everyone he faced until the re-match final with Joey Parrott, Simon Kenton who turned the tables this time winning a 4-3 decision. Patrick Allen from Colerain finished third with a great day including an apparent DQ over Grey Barden of Fairfield. Wonder what that story is...I missed it? Connor Borton battled all weekend but ended up with 4th, not what he hoped for I'm sure.

Top seeds meet in the final with last year's 132 finalist Denlinger of Fairmont beating a game Andrew Mendel who skated to the final himself. Unseeded Ben Heyob, Joe's little brother, wrestled like a champion beating a bunch of good kids to take 3rd place.

One of my favorites, Elder's Evan Morgan defeated the #1 and #2 seeds on his way to a perfect tournament and season record. He finished 4th at the same weight a year ago and got the #4 seed this year. Hard work this off season paid off with the championship. Freshman Jordan Paul had a break out varisty tournament finishing 6th.

#1 seed Adam Sams waltzs to the final but meets defending champion Joseph Jones from the powerful D2 Ross team...Jones with the 3rd period pin. A lot of tough kids in this weight class including 3rd placer Brad Huber of Sycamore with a gutsy performance coming through the conso bracket.

Simon Kenton's champion Kevin Cooper was suppossed to win and he did 2-1 over the brickhouse Latrell Davis from Middletown. The semifinalists that lost met in the consolation final with Austin Siemon from Deer Park notching the victory. New head coach Jason Lambers and assistant and brother Kenny gotta be happy. AJ Kowal lost a close one to Cooper in the semi and another to Wyatt Wilson who finished a respectable 4th.

#2 seed Jacob Globke was on a mission this tournament and he brought down the powerful St. X state placer Joe Heyob 3-2 in the final. Tenacious Loveland wrestler James Caniglia avenged his quarterfinal loss to him by pinning Dean Meyer for 3rd, he had a big day with victories over good kids: Brian Mccrea-Mason; Dalton Jones-Ross; Dylan Lauffer-Fairfield.

Pretty much a cake walk for Dakota Sizemore until meeting the accomplished Nick Corba from Beavercreek in the final losing 3-2. Corba has a legitimate shot at the State Final, as does Sizemore on his best day. Michael Weber from Loveland is a bit of a beast but apparently injury defaulted in the conso final. I did not see it. Weber handled everyone with the exception of Corba and a close one 7-6 over Reid from New Richmond. This will remain one of the most exciting weight classes all year long.

Gunner Lay pulls out the victory over Quinton Rosser, Moeller 3-2. Lots of depth at 182 including Danis from Mason who proved he will be a force his senior season, Cole Jones from St. X who got caught by Danis in the quarters, and Chris Mattress who finished 5th over highly ranked Simon Kenton's Hiero Chamblee.

Champion T Scales had several close bouts, but secured the wins each time with his incredible strength and pressing style including Lybarger from Mt Vernon in the final. Tyler Bridwell from Ross twice put away well-known Jerry Thornberry from Moeller making a loud statement with his 3rd place finish. Other notable performances from Austin Rowan Glen Este and Stephen Ludwig, Fairfield.

Seems to me Chalmer was not challenged much at all here. Likely the second best at 220 is Tinashe Bere of Sycamore was pinned in what was probably a fluke, though a thrill for the West High wrestler that put him away. Heimkreiter, Ross made the final and will have a great senior season for the Rams.

The heavyweight final matched he-man Truman Gutapfel against the wily and quick Ameer Daniels from Northwest. Few heavyweights are anything like these two totally different wrestlers. Gutapfel looks fierce and fit while Daniels is chubbier. However, he moves like a 152 pounder with aggression and deep shots....very fun to watch. Jacob Burton is next best, strong and steady....he dropped a 7-1 decision in the semis to Truman. Andrew Alten, Loveland injury defaulted after semis...he might have gotten the Tigers over 200 team points.

Full tournament results are on KAPWRESTLING.COM

It was good to see the KY boys make a good showing in this tough tourney. Walton showed up with 5 kids and 4 placed and took home some nice hardware. Ryle and SK showed they can compete with the big dogs as well. Tough to see Jones get tech'd, but the kid he faced is one of the best. Cooper showed that he is still the man in this area. Great job everyone.

You have to beat the best to be the best.

Yeah they are not , Thornberry in particular , top seed at Iron Man DNP , drops to 195 and comes in Fourth losing to an unranked kid twice , Swowca is a tourny set up for Moeller to parade their SW oh dominance over the rest of the city , it's laughable , dropping Campbell County down on the list was a chicken $hi) move at best , CC would have had multiple champs ,

The poor Moeller we had to play football excuse has been thrown around so much already it's sickening and WGAF this is Kentucky wrestling website , we are into rings of our own the kind no one on Moellers wrestling team has wrestling state championship rings , highlandzrules what ---- not wrestling . Face it they have not lived up to their Billing and it's really funny you trying to impress the ky faithful because they have stumbled in Ohio .

• Upvote 1

Wrong your stirring a pot ,and this forum has more to do with my kids and their team than your obsene lust for Moeller , didn't seem like you were focusing on Swowca wrestlers or Ky wrestlers but making excuses for Moe , and brown nosing a bit or fishing , like anyone on ky wrestling site gives a flying (:(/>- about Moeller or their football rings , crying about butt whippings at Iron Man and only one champ at Swowca is hillarious and as for my kids ,my son never broke a sweat at Swowca it was always a second rate tourny to him , you coming on a ky website and talking about a team that has absolutely nothing to do with KY wrestling getting ready to do what , get whipped by St Eds again even with a team Of studs trained by someone outside of Moellers programs that should already be state champs in Ohio and and top 5 in the nation , What a joke

Your a mark

EDITED by : CLARK KENT - Today

Hahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Nice work by all the KY teams that took the challenge and competed at SWOWCA. Good to know Cooper is back in form after struggling with an injury at Ironman (or so I heard).

Danimal nails it on the head!

I've been going to the coaches classic since mid 90's and Gus Adam's was the most impressive I've seen there since.....you know it.... Meyer's freshman year when I believe he tech falled every kid except Ruschell which he beat in the first or second round 14-1. Mpire is that correct?

After watching Adams wrestle Boston at the Rumble I must say Adam's is going to be a force at 120 and is going to be in a great position to win a state title come the end of the year. I still however think Blackwell is the favorite at this weight class but wow was I impressed with Adam's this weekend.

Cooper wrestled great this weekend, but I still think his ankle might be bothering him. I've watched Kevin for years and I feel like he is missing some of that insane explosion he has on his shots. It might just be me, and I know Kevin wrestled some studs this weekend but I still think Kevin has not wrestled his best this year.

Yes TJ was a 1 seed Stephen had no seed , 14 to 1 , match Was stopped twice , once with a claw tilt for back the ref said was potential dangerous and awarded no points even though it was text book legal , the other , Stephen had a spladdle on Reuschell for back and a possible pin and the ref stopped it again for potential dangerous , He said he thought Stephen was hurt , "he had the spladdle in " it was a joke . They did not want a no seed to tech or pin through .

As I said Swowca is very political , Dropping CC down the list made it even more obvious .

Had a good yr the next as well , with his main comp running up a class only to lose .

Running me out of the tourny for letting my sick two yr old get a treat from the coaches lounge when I had a coaches pass lol , that would be like the folks at the rumble running me out for my now four yr old getting on the podium with his Brother ,

A tournament is only as good as the people running it , making the Rumble way better than Swowca , no lies no bs everyone knows why I hate Swowca and the witch that runs it and they know how crooked it is , an they also know the best wrestlers in the area were at the rumble but not Swowca .Stephen would have swept any of three classes at Swowca without a close match no 1 point wins and no OTs with anyone ,

Just facts .some he has already proven this yr others he will very soon .

Yes TJ was a 1 seed Stephen had no seed , 14 to 1 , match Was stopped twice , once with a claw tilt for back the ref said was potential dangerous and awarded no points even though it was text book legal , the other , Stephen had a spladdle on Reuschell for back and a possible pin and the ref stopped it again for potential dangerous , He said he thought Stephen was hurt , "he had the spladdle in " it was a joke . They did not want a no seed to tech or pin through .

As I said Swowca is very political , Dropping CC down the list made it even more obvious .

Had a good yr the next as well , with his main comp running up a class only to lose .

Running me out of the tourny for letting my sick two yr old get a treat from the coaches lounge when I had a coaches pass lol , that would be like the folks at the rumble running me out for my now four yr old getting on the podium with his Brother ,

A tournament is only as good as the people running it , making the Rumble way better than Swowca , no lies no bs everyone knows why I hate Swowca and the witch that runs it and they know how crooked it is , an they also know the best wrestlers in the area were at the rumble but not Swowca .Stephen would have swept any of three classes at Swowca without a close match no 1 point wins and no OTs with anyone ,

Just facts .some he has already proven this yr others he will very soon .

Bitterman, party of one. Your table is ready.

Swowca would have had three champs from

CC , Fausz , Austin because he would have went 195 and won easily and Stephen wherever he wanted , and CC would have had many more placers if not better ,and they and you know it .

Not bitter my friend , BETTER bro

Party Of BETTER table of 5 .

Swowca would have had three champs from

CC , Fausz , Austin because he would have went 195 and won easily and Stephen wherever he wanted , and CC would have had many more placers if not better ,and they and you know it .

Not bitter my friend , BETTER bro

Party Of BETTER table of 5 .

CC would have fared quite well at SWOWCA, never said they wouldn't. Never mentioned the school. I am not from the lower part of the state so I do not know of the politics surrounding this tournament that you refer to. I have made the trip down when it was at Oak Hills as I visited family in the area. My impression was that of a well run event. Perhaps CC can get in next year.The upperweights had some solid brackets. At 195, Austin could have had a shot at Thornberry. Would like to see Austin and Scales as well. Stephen could have won at a few weights. I hear the Heyob kid is pretty good, that could have been a fun one. The bitter/better comeback is a good one. You should trademark that.

I have been to it in oak hills my kids were youth then and they decided they would shoot for it and did in a big way , As for the politics it's no witch hunt or conspiracy theory of mine it's well

Known fact it's a sham of a tournament ran by people worried about keeping their appearance of superiority in the city going and they did and do us wrong ,

From day 1 them catching heat for not seeding a jr high champ with an ow who just AA at fargo and placed top 4 at Iron Man and him

Demolishing the field there two yrs in a row and not getting the ow that everyone knew he deserved to their plots against me that were witnessed by many coaches and fans . You didnt mention the school but commented on my comments about it ???

Austin and Scales are friends have wrestled a lot over the yrs usually me bumping Austin up they haven't wrestled since last yr at any practices though , Thornberry finished 4 th and bombed at Iron Man , Austin would hand him his lunch no questions about it .Heyob lost to Globke ??? Stephen beat Globke 15 to 4 a couple weeks ago ? They are bigger than Stephen which raises possibilities but I think the fun would be one sided kind of like their last match in jr high a tech .

I'm sure they might let CC in but they dropped them from first on the list to seventh or so and with Stephen and Hamilton gone CC would not have the sting it has this yr particularly the sting of having a former team member once again either hammer your wrestler or make them

Run again , perhaps you should investigate and ask a few ? Before judging me and my bitter feelings , of course the masses go with what Helps them and not the truth , and everyone likes riding the blue and gold bandwagon , but that is Ohio and this is KY it's Purple and Gold here and we have rings too .:)/>

Interesting you brought up Heyob he was ranked 2nd in the state in Oh and Globke the number 3 beats him and wins the toughest class there and he doesn't get the OW either ?

Not sure who did probably Moellers lone champ who did pin through , or maybe Cooper , I don't know , but usually you have a class with three or more top eight ranked kids in it and the winner who gets an upset victory would be an OW .

I think this year's outstanding wrestler went to Joseph Jones of Ross, for his surprise pin of Sams in the final. Both are great wrestlers, but other than the 2 of them, 145 was pretty weak at SWOCA, and neither of them was really pushed until the finals. I agree it should have gone to a wrestler at 152 or 160 because of the depth of those 2 weight classes. Honestly, I think it should have been Cooper. In addition to Cooper and Jones, there were at least 5 other ranked kids in that bracket (Kowal and Davis ranked at 145; Siemon, Wilson and Staten from Mt Vernon all ranked at 152.)

That would have been a good choice , as well but with Globke a 3 beating Heyob a 2 and Meyer and the rest at 160 , my thinking says a lower but high ranking kid beats another high ranked kid in a tough class with others who are ranked you get the OW for the win in a tough class as well as a small upset . It has all the criteria for an OW .

Actually wouldn't have argued someone pinning through getting it either ,"i was just being mean "Cooper winning a close one last yr and two even closer this yr is impressive I guess but he is the top seed and I would not have thought either of those guys would take him to OT . I guess they went with what tey considered an upset but jones is good as is Adam ,I would not have gave that match the OW though ,

Either way congrats to all the kids and my heat about the fball post is aimed at someone taking aim at me or being silly , I was the first to give congrats to the boys on that team because many were and are my sons friends and I liked them , but that's fball not wrestling and it's not the focus of this forum or even this state ,

Swowca is over , the Rumble and others are of more concern to Ky and their are more and bigger tournys Ky kids will be in shortly ,as for Swowca nice to see all the long time wrestlers doing well there , Korba , Globke , Cooper ,Scales , and the rest .

Sorry for the drama ,but I'm not the one who deleted my posts .

CC would have fared quite well at SWOWCA, never said they wouldn't. Never mentioned the school. I am not from the lower part of the state so I do not know of the politics surrounding this tournament that you refer to. I have made the trip down when it was at Oak Hills as I visited family in the area. My impression was that of a well run event. Perhaps CC can get in next year.The upperweights had some solid brackets. At 195, Austin could have had a shot at Thornberry. Would like to see Austin and Scales as well. Stephen could have won at a few weights. I hear the Heyob kid is pretty good, that could have been a fun one. The bitter/better comeback is a good one. You should trademark that.

Austin would have had a better shot at 195 than 220 at SWOWCA this year. Scales is tough, but Frueauf is a beast!

Giving up so much height and reach is a huge disadvantage , Austin would compete but I would agree and there were only a few tournys Austin would have cut for , Iron Man and Swowca and maybe not even then he is in a position to control his own destiny wether he gets a win or loss here and there he can beat good 220s even though he is not the 220 he will be in the next couple of yrs he has his eye on improving where he will end up as well as 4 and some summer nat tournys ,Chalmer is a huge 220 taking advantage of his sise and stumbling at times against those of equal sise like Gutapfel , Austin would be a big 195 ,or huge 182 but even there some of the better kids are taller like Scales and Rosser and Thornberry but I feel Austin would handle them ,

Funny everyone always trying to pit bigger against better , don't worry wrestling fans everyone can be beaten . But records speak for themselves .

Beasts overcome disadvantage not rely on advantage