Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 Rankings 12/3/12

I have learned from my long and storied career on this site that nothing gets people talking like rankings. I could never touch Ranger when it comes to rankings for the entire state but I have been doing Region 1 rankings for awhile now. So I decided to try and do rankings on an annual basis this year. I try write them as predictions for regionals which involves a lot of guesswork concerning what weights everyone will end up at come regionals and not their current weight and any updates on weight cuts would be appreciated. I tried to go off of as many current results as I could but at this time of the year it is a lot of guesswork involving old results and it doesn't help I don't get to see the kids wrestle. But with all of this time now on my hands I feel like I should at least get the ball rolling. I will post rankings again following the tournament at Caldwell since regional results often become clearer there. So without further ado here are my first rankings for this season.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union

2. Travon Thacker, Hoptown

3. Tyler Ward, Apollo

4. Wes Gray, Caldwell

5. Skyler Martinson, Daviess

6. Zenon Rodriguez, Paducah

Sheffer has been a name thrown around wrestling circles as one of the next great Union County lightweights, he has the credentials and he has the coaches. Thacker was one of those guys who fell victim to just how tough 106 was last year, had two wins over Ward going into regionals and I believe he was one of the guys Ward upset to make the finals. As I stated earlier Ward had that magical run to the finals last year but outside of that his results haven't been that impressive, a key issue is Apollo's very weak schedule. Wes is basically the best of the rest here and has some solid early season wins over the likes of Martinson.

1. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg

2. Chance Oxford, Union

3. Asa Odoms, Christian

4. Anthony DeWitt, Fort Campbell

5. George Datson, Paducah

6. Seth Tichenor, Ohio

Kline is a returning state placer moving up from that monster 106 weight last year according to my information. He will be challenged by another young Union kid with a lot of hype in Chance Oxford, potentially Robb Dezember could be here but I don't know much about that situation, other Union kid could win it. Asa has been a strong wrestler for a couple years and if he peaks at the right time he could make the finals. DeWitt was a state qualifier his freshman year but had a rocky sophomore year before getting hurt and not wrestling regionals, he is challenged by a lot of other second tier guys such as Paducah's Datson,

1. Trae Blackwell, Union

2. Caleb Austin, Christian

3. Derek Miller, Paducah

4. Connor Jaschen, Hoptown

5. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

6. Daniel Dyess, Hoptown

Trae is the returning state champ and shouldn't be touched by most wrestlers in the state. That is in no way a diss on Caleb Austin who placed at state last year and has a very good chance at placing again. After the big two Derek Miller is the most likely remaining wrestler to make it to state with solid wins and good coaches. Jaschen placed at regionals last year and from my knowledge there aren't that many 120's out there who can challenge him.

1. Brock Ervin, Union

2. Brian Herdrick, Fort Campbell

3. Jeremy Burnham, Christian

4. B.J. Miller, Ohio

5. Tanner Ward, Apollo

6. Chance Collins, UHA

While Brock Ervin has a pretty solid hold at number one similar to Trae's situation, 2-6 could finish several different ways. I give the nod to Herdrick right now who is currently up at 132 and has some solid wins against out of state kids, he is coming in from Georgia. Burnham has been a name that started with a lot of potential when he first came on and had his rivalry with David Sahms a couple years back, if he can get back to form he is a definate threat for the finals. Miller really turned it on last year and is definately in the mix, but there is a good shot a former State Qualifier won't make it to state here.

1. Jeff Wurth, Union

2. Frank Rosario, Paducah

3. Daniel Ingram, Trigg

4. Joey Insko, Daviess

5. Ryan Bunch, Ohio

6. Nick Ringle, Fort Campbell

As of right now 132 is shaping up to be Jeff Wurth and friends. Rosario, Ingram, and Insko could finish in any order and one could easily make an argument how the fact Ingram is the only returning state qualifier out of the three he should be second. I looked at results and I feel like giving the edge to Rosario at this moment.

1. Jayce Carr, Union

2. David Sahms, Fort Campbell

3. Wade Willen, UHA

4. Dekeevious Matlock, Christian

5. Chris Gilkey, Caldwell

6. Trevor Wilson, Ohio

This is one weight you can look at and just go WOW. I have heard that Jayce might be going 138 so I put him here but I am aware that Gabe has been wrestling at this weight lately, I know this is a bold call but I say other wrestler wins the weight. With Gabe I could see any of the top 3 winning it but with Jayce the big question is who comes in second. On one side you have David Sahms who finally placed at state following numerous chances to do so since his 8th grade year, and he faces the deadly consistent Wade Willen. Wade has been almost the exact same great wrestler since his 8th grade year but that is probably the biggest knock on him, he hasn't really improved since then. Kevi Matlock leads the second tier guys which should also be VERY fun to watch as they try to slip in to that last state qualifying spot.

1. Kory Polley, Christian

2. Keegan Agnew, Caldwell

3. Chad Gahafer, Union

4. Robert Bussell, Hoptown

5. Nighgell Davidson, Fort Campbell

6. Ryan Gallogly, Trigg

This is another weight that is going to be really fun to watch with 3 guys who can not only win the region but also place at state. If Chad or Gabe goes here for Union then Kory Polley is the favorite and also a candidate for the state title this year. Agnew is one of the deadliest riders in the region and solid enough on his feet to handle Polley's offensive arsenal. Gahafer could definately make the finals at here or 152. Bussell leads the rest of the pack with big wins over Jerry Heywood last year to make it to state.

1. Gabe Ervin, Union

2. Isaac Lawson, Hoptown

3. Jacob Bennett, Ohio

4. Joe Sisco, Graves

5. Josh Green, Fort Campbell

6. Kenny Sells, Christian

As I stated earlier Chad could be the winner at 152 but if it is Gabe I will make the shocking pick and put him on top here until results say otherwise. Lawson has been solid for awhile and could definately pick up the regional title. Bennett was one of the many shocking results last year as one of the kids not making it to state, but this is his senior year and he is ready to make it back. Joe Sisco has some solid wins on his resume (such as Ki Ryder) and has a pretty solid hold on the fourth spot here.

1. Cameron Montgomery, UHA

2. Jerry Heywood, Fort Campbell

3. Kyle Bunch, Ohio

4. Devin Smith, Union

5. Noelle Williams, Paducah

6. Angel Silva, Christian

160 is a weight where any of the top 4 guys could win it. Cameron Montgomery has been the most consistent of the bunch and thus has the best shot at winning here. When Heywood wrestles he either awes you with incredible pins, or drives you crazy by diving to his back for no reason, same situation as Jacob Bennett where he is coming off of a very disappointing Junior year. Kyle Bunch may be at third here but he has wins over tons good kids throughout his career. I am in no way believing Devin Smith has cut to 160 and I am waiting for it to be some strange joke but he could be in the title picture here.

1. Ki Ryder, Fort Campbell

2. Ben Redfield, Paducah

3. Khalil Baker, Hoptown

4. Tyler Wilson, Calloway

5. Austin Durham, Trigg

6. Aaron Fulton, Ohio

From what I can see Ryder is the clear favorite here with almost no other big names at this weight. I don't recognize Redfield's name but he has some solid early season wins. I have no defense for everyone else so if you have any input for this weight that would be great.

1. Drayton Simmons, Fort Campbell

2. Clay Revlett, Caldwell

3. Kane Morris, Union

4. Phil Bradley, UHA

5. Alvin Carr, Christian

6. ?????, School of Hard Knocks

Drayton is the returning region champ even after his disappointing showing at the state tourny, a lot of coaches have spoken highly of Drayton and I don't see anyone else in the region beating him right now. Clay has been fun to watch improve over his career and if he goes 182 I don't see him losing to that many kids. Morris is a Union kid but I don't know if he is going to be their kid. After that I basically drew names from a hat

1. Bryan Carter, Union

2. Bradley Easterling, Ohio

3. Zak Thompson, Paducah

4. Colton Livingston, Trigg

5. Caleb Carter, Fort Campbell

6. Chase Allen, Daviess

Carter was solid at 182 and doesn't have a lot of competation at 195. 195 is one of those murky weights so I went with the two returning region placers I recognized then pretty much just guessed. Caleb Carter is the younger brother of former great Fort Campbell linebacker Josh Carter so it will be interesting to see how he does.

1. Aaron Stevens, Trigg

2. James Day, Christian

3. Zach Farris, Ohio

4. Dustin Armendariz, Fort Campbell

5. Bobby Caldwell, Paducah

6. Eugene Butler, Hoptown

With no Derik Overstreet in sight Aaron Stevens is the clear favorite here, probably pinning his way through the bracket. Following that I went with kids with experiance and then Armendariz because I am told he is a decent athelete which guys like the Nikolaos have shown can win you matches at this weight.

1. Raynel Brown, Union

2. Dominic Hephner, Paducah

3. Jake Jorstad, Fort Campbell

4. Maurice Codiudfiygvlett (that is what my paper says), Trigg

5. David Clark, Calloway

6. Daron McGregory, Christian

After Raynel Brown and Hephner the only returning state qualifiers it is pretty much a situation of who ever doesn't get thrown to their back first. I gave the nod to Jorstad only because I know he has some decent wins right now, if anybody has anyone better and the results to prove it (which we can get at Caldwell) is welcome to point them out to me.

Team Rankings

1. Union County

2. Fort Campbell

3. Christian County

4. Trigg County

5. Paducah Tilghman

So until Caldwell go ahead and argue away. Results or weight changes I don't know are welcome along with any other commentary you would like to provide.

A couple people have mentioned a weight change that makes sense in my head so I will mention it here. For Ohio County there is a chance that both Kyle Bunch and Jacob Bennett will drop a weight class. If that occurs then Bennett takes Bussell's 4th spot at 145 (as that weight gets even tougher), and Bunch wins it at 152 knocking Gabe Ervin and Isaac Lawson down a spot, but Sisco and below does not change. This would make 5th place just about a tie between Ohio and Paducah

FCHS, I would like to start out by saying THANK YOU for setting down an doing your rankings. Although I feel you are very,very byASS to Ft.Campbell, your efforts are appreciated.You have forgot all about Corey Curtis Davies Co.,I believe he is the DARK HORSE at 160. He is one of the best wrestlers in the region that i have seen. Again Thank You for your rankings. KEEP IT GOING !!!!!!!!

Ya when I ran into a situation where I had nobody to pick I threw in the Fort Campbell kid. The situation will become much clearer after Caldwell and that is when the rankings will start to be a lot more accurate. I was looking at results today and I did notice Corey Curtis, he will be in my next rankings for sure, but if Kyle Bunch doesn't cut down it will be tough to break into the top 4 (unless Heywood chokes again)

Davies county was without half there starters last night against Ohio county. Senior captin Jim brake broke his collar bone last night also so keep him in your thoughts and prayers.