Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

Junior Varsity Thoughts

With Yourh and Middle School wrestling getting bigger and wrestling getting better in Kentucky all together, there is one area we lack.....JV tournaments. One way to continue to make wrestling better is to be able to get our backups matches. How can we increase the number of JV events in the State? Just my thoughts.

I emailed with Mike Barren a year or so ago about this very thing. My issue was that sending my jv to a varsity event cost me a varsity event, even though my full varsity team was competing elsewhere. His response was that the coaches needed to start hosting more jv events, so ultimately it will be up to us. I think besides coaches being willing to sponsor and host jv events, the other issue is that the other coaches need to support the jv events by attending. I know of a couple of Louisville-area coaches who have tried to get jv events going only to cancel due to lack of participation. We need more jv events and we need support from coaches.

One idea is that the larger schools with access to two gyms or areas should simultaneously host a varsity and jv event. In years past, the only jv events in the Louisville area were at Seneca and Oldham County. I like that Desales is attempting to get an early season event going, now we just need three or four more. Also, I would like to see Jefferson County Tournament of Champions grow to a varsity and jv event using an extra gym for the jv. I'll support jv events by sending my guys. Good topic, Chris.

We started and hosted the JV State Tournament for years. We had regionals hold qualifiers sending the top 2 into a 16 man one day bracket. I thought this was a great motivator for my back ups and I'm sure some other coaches enjoyed it as well.

I think your biggest problem is that most teams do not have JV teams (heck most teams don't have full varsity teams). And those that do, don't have the $$$ to go to two events in one weekend.

I would guess that many of the old JV wrestlers were Middle school kids trying to get mat time. Now that we have a middle school league the JV teams are almost non existant.

Those teams in Nky that have JV teams have easy access to JV tourneys across the river in Ohio.

The JV events need to be more local. And the host team needs to charge per kid if under 10 wrestlers not by team. If a team only has 2-4 kids on the team they can't justifying to their school to spend $100 plus bus cost for so few kids.