Sign in to follow this  
MLee

Youth State Duals

Who/What would be the definers of small clubs that can join together and large clubs that must be stand alone?

I will say that no one from the Raiders wants to be a part of that conversation!

I will say that no one from the Raiders wants to be a part of that conversation!

The more I think about this, the more I just don't think putting teams together would work. I like the idea of finding a way to create an environment where everyone wants to participate (maybe less weight classes). But, if you allow clubs to pick and choose their best kids to make an all star team, then we really aren't proving who has the best dual team in the state, which I thought was the point.

An idea that my work -

Parkersburg WV has a 13 and Under duals tournament every year - 2 seperate pools going on, the club / team division and the All-Star Division. Kind of how MS states does the club and school, you could do the Team and All-Star. All-Star allowing multiple teams to come together to form a team (growing and allowing more to compete) and the Team division - who is the best team straight up.

Some kids will probably be torn on which way to go, but would allow more to compete (which is what you want), keeps the integrity of the team on one side, and would probably make for some good competition.

Maybe for smaller teams that have trouble filling slots, could they have a substitute cap? Like say, each team is allowed to bring in 3 or whatever kids from another area as long as they were Ky kids? Many large tourneys do this, and it really helps the smaller programs to compete with large ones (less forfeits).