Sign in to follow this  
Travis Baney

Lifting Routine

I am trying to put together a good training routine for my team. As of know we are lifting 2 days a week. Advice, lifts and other training methods are welcome. If you have one that you go by please upload it.

Thanks!

The kind of workout you are setting up may depend on what kind of equipment you have and what your goals for your team are ,

Go to Flow wrestling ,check out some of the workouts , they have some decent stuff , try YouTube some of the different things on there are interesting ,

If you like I could help you. But that's entirely up to you check out Terry Bryan on you tube that's where we train he has some fun stuff to watch .I could bring a couple kids down and we could go through some stuff If you like , maybe have a workout and have some open Matt's afterwards or something ,

The navy wrestling teams workout is one of my favorites , watch it and if you cannot do all the exercises sub in ones that you like just make sure they are not too similar , the speed and moves are perfect for in season not so great for off season when you can slow down the pace and grow but if you only go twice a week it's good stuff if you add some slower power moves.

Great stuff , missed sweet potatoes on the food list not so hyped on all those super fast absorbing glycogen loading foods without a backup slow and steady burner , and oatmeal and rice are ok I guess but any food that requires massive amount of water to make will more than likely bloat someone's stomach out quite a bit good to eat on a regular basis bad in my opinion before an important match ,

Sweet potatoes are the best carb food on the planet , for quick carbs and energy a mixture of dates and peanut butter ate great , I know rice can bloat you but rice cakes with peanut butter and jelly are awesome ,

Here's the ultimate carb loading goo, pie filling mixed with fruit like strawberries or bananas it's what the big boys use to fill out fast ,

Any workout done with intensity and purpose can be successful belief in what you are doing will pay off is sometimes as important as doing the right thing to begin with .

That's the best advice me or anyone else will ever give you as far as training goes .

Believe and achieve . That's a good one

Another one I have seen on the wrestling room wall at Loveland where my kids used to wrestle and get lectured to now an again by Matt Hammill ," luck is when you take advantage of opportunity " or there is no luck in wrestling there is only taking advantage of opportunity "

And their youth coach there was special saw him roll with Hamill and get his head split wide open Hamills a good guy but I wouldn't want to wrestle him even in a "friendly " match , that coach showed my boy a move when he was in first grade , tie up step

On your opponents foot without being too obvious then hit a number of moves when he's off balance ,

Next year first ever OAC grade school state Austin Myers in OT in the finals ties up as we are all watching steps on Sam Fitsgeralds foot hits an arm drag to score two in OT and win state in the first ever OAC grade school state tourny he won again as a sixth grader and two in jr high but we laughed about how he won the whole ride home and still do ,

Take advantage of opportunity people create your own luck .

Great stuff , missed sweet potatoes on the food list not so hyped on all those super fast absorbing glycogen loading foods without a backup slow and steady burner , and oatmeal and rice are ok I guess but any food that requires massive amount of water to make will more than likely bloat someone's stomach out quite a bit good to eat on a regular basis bad in my opinion before an important match ,

Sweet potatoes are the best carb food on the planet , for quick carbs and energy a mixture of dates and peanut butter ate great , I know rice can bloat you but rice cakes with peanut butter and jelly are awesome ,

Here's the ultimate carb loading goo, pie filling mixed with fruit like strawberries or bananas it's what the big boys use to fill out fast ,

That's great stuff Mpire thanks! Now the pie filling goo.... is that for putting on weight or for energy?

It's for quick glycogen loading it's basically sugar that will fill out muscles and give someone quick energy , the crash is what can be scary quick rising insulin levels will probably lead to sudden drops in insulin , a very depleted wrestler will probably keep eating so his levels may stay high but in a big tournament over a couple days you simply have to hope the crash doesn't come at a bad time if at all.