Sign in to follow this  
ontheline

2012 NAIA Wrestling National Championships March 1 - 3

Based on what I watched yesterday, I would have to believe that Campbellsville will do well at the NAIA tournament.

Thoughts on wrestlers, teams, key matches, etc...

Native KY wrestler Derek Nickle is quite capable of "AA" this year.

I am sure that Thurston will be favored at 133 for Campbellsville.

I don't follow the bigger guys, but Campbellsville 197 Jamelle Jones looks like a monster on the mat. I am talking about his skills and his size!

Campbellsville should have a strong showing at the NAIA national tournament. If they can stay healthy, score bonus points, and avoid upsets, it is very possible that they can compete for a national title.

I have to agree that Thurston and Jones are the favorites in their respective weight classes. At 141 Teague and Pretty both have a shot, at 157 Young may be peaking at the right time of the year with an impressive pin over Pingleton, 174 has Kentucky native Ashbrook wrestling strong-nothing flashy, just winning, 184 Scruggs may not be an offensive machine, but he also finds a way to win, and with Coach James in the corner for CU the rest of their line up can be very formidable.

I had a chance to see some KY wrestlers this past weekend and they did a good job. I was surprised to see Courtney get pinned twice by the same guy and get beat in the 4th place match. I hear he has battled different injuries this year and 57 was a tough weight class, but honestly he looks like the same wrestler he was four years ago. He was by far the most accomplished KY wrestler there yet had the worst finish. Ashbrook had a couple of close matches, but managed to win. I know Stephens wasn't there, but he did what he needed to do. He could be the sleeper for Campbellsville this year and as far as KY boys go, I believe he has the best chance to AA. Gardner wrestled tough and was his usual scrappy self ending up finishing 3rd. Nickle looked good in his first match and then wound up getting pinned by a guy that got lucky (I think he did come back to pin him later). If he can avoid a let down he has a good shot to AA.

We need to get behind all of our KY wrestlers on every level and cheer for them regardless of what team they are on. Courtney, Nickle, Ashbrook, and Gardner collectively have 5 state titles, numerous state places, and a bunch of wins on the high school level in KY so it's important that we all give them their just dues on this site.

I'm disappointed we can't get more people to comment on this thread. CU, LW, and Cumberlands have worked hard get to nationals and given a lot of KY boys a shot to continue their careers and we can't get anyone to congratulate them and encourage them next week. It will be hard to grow the sport in this state if we can't get behind the only college teams that do have a team. I guess we need a couple of OH transfers with an egomaniac for a father to generate some buzz for the NAIA Nationals...my bad.

Hey man, I'm rooting for all the KY boys at nationals. I can see Nickle and Ashbrook both aa'ing this year. They've had a great season especially toward the end so I would say that they are peaking at the right time. Gardner I don't see aa'ing this year but next year or the year after I can see him doing it. Either way LETS GO KY BOYS AND LWC!

• Upvote 1

I believe it may be in Iowa again but I might be wrong. I do know though that they will have a video link up to watch the finals of the tournament up and that can be found on the naia website probably.

NAIA Nationals are in Des Moines, Iowa with Grand View being the "home" team and odds on favorite. I believe there are some wrestlers in Campbellsville that will have something to say about that and are not ready to hand Grand View the team title. I will be leaving around 2:00 am on Thursday morning, hopefully arriving before the opening matches and providing updates for KY teams and KY boys.

Hey, I am an egomaniac father of an ohio transfer...I'll do my best to stir up some crap. :)

Seriously (above comment is serious except for the egomaniac part) Kentucky does have three fine college programs, and I am proud that my son has the opportunity to go to college and continue to wrestle. Don't hesitate to "adopt" some of these transplants into your Kentucky talk. I know they didn't go to high school in the state, but now most of them are fully vested in the state through their college experience.

145 - safe driving to you. We are leaving Wednesday. I can't get my wife to leave at 2:00 am....4:00am departures to Williamsburg and Tennessee were her limit!

I look for Thurston (CV) and Stephens (LWC) to have stong showings next weekend.

Link to video streaming is here. There is a nominal fee. http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=205384192

I'm glad we get the transplants and I hope they make everyone step up their game. I was referring to the Mpire. His kids are fantastic on the mat, I just hope they can live up to the hype and if they can we will have two fine wrestlers at the next level.

I am disappointed that the brackets won't come out until the 29th. It would make for some interesting discussion. Don't forget Jones from Campbellsville, he's tough. I will be pulling for all three KY schools, and I hope LW and U of C can knock off every Grand View kid they can to help Campbellsville bring the title to Ky. Have a safe trip.

Wish I could go out there to cheer everyone on but I'll be working. Anyways Safe travel to all 3 of you. And lets see KY bring home some all-americans

A few KY wrestlers results for first round of NAIA Tournament

Lindsey Wilson

Mark Back Lost via Pin

Dereck Nickel Lost via dec 13-7

Kary Goff via pin

Isaac Thomas won via major dec 12-4

Harrison Courtney won via MAjor dec 13-2

Campbellsville

Josh Ashbrook lost via pin

Cumberlands

Jeremy Gardner recieves bye

Thats all I know as of right now! Any other wrestlers I am missing please let me know.

Thats about right there prowler. I checked the brackets a couple hours ago for results. So far as I know lindsey has 7 in winner's bracket right now and 5 on the backside. I don't know about Cumberlands or Campbellsville though.

After Day 1

Lindsey Wilson 10th place (4 in winners 7 in losers)

Kary Goff 1-1

Isac Thomas 1-1

Mark Back 0-2

Harison Courtney 1-1

Dereck Nickel 1-1

Campbellsville 6th place (6 in winners 5in losers)

Josh Ashbrook 0-2

Cumberlands 14th place (3 in winners 4 in losers)

Jeremy Gardner 0-1

*Side note it looks like Grandview and Souther Oregon are going to be in a fight for first while everybody else is just hoping for 3rd, but still a lot of wrestling left!

What happened with Ashbrook here? I can't believe he got pinned twice in his matches. btw Lindsey has 3 in the semi's with Keith Klink (rooting for him all year), Charlie Pingleton, and Ian Stephens.

Hats off to all of the finalists for CU and LW. They also have several that are going to AA. In one of my earlier posts I neglected to mention Thomas from LW and he shows me, he's an AA. Congratulations!

I talked to several CU wrestlers about Ashbrook and they told me he has had blood pressure problems and he has been sick to go along with it. I really thought he and Nickle had a good shot at AA and making a lot of noise...shows how much I know about this crazy sport. I hope Ashbrook can get healthy and Nickle can continue to improve because they are good guys on and off the mat.

Wow thats crazy to hear about Ashbrook, wish all the best for him. I ran into blood pressure problems when I was competing my senior year while cutting down a weight class. I was surpised to see that Tommy Pretty got beat and wouldn't be AA'ing this year. Another surpise I thought was Tim Thurston getting beat, I for sure would of thought that he would be in the finals considering how dominate he has been all year.

Great job by LWC wrestlers. Coach Ruff and his staff did a great job working with these young men this season!

Now it is time to begin preparing for next season's championship.

It should be interesting to follow the recruiting and see who comes in to replace the few seniors that are leaving, and fill some of the other small gaps in the lineup.