Sign in to follow this  
fireplug

Middle School Wrestlers Moving Up

Guys, all fun and games aside. Does it really matter where a kid wrestles at? REALLY!!! Especially at the Youth and Middle School levels. I mean we are trying to keep this sport growing. To be honest with you, I would rather have a kid wrestle for me for 3 or 4 years, completely knowing that they may go to a different high school. Normally where my program doesn't feed. I have no problem coaching a kid and when their MS days are over, they go back to their high schools. If I can keep a kid in wrestling and off the streets, help him or her achieve their goals that later on in life that will help them. Well then I have done my job as a coach. So many people are worried about OR THINK that other programs are trying to recruit their wrestlers. In the many years that I have been involved with coaching I have never gone to a kid that I know is already in a program to try to recruit them to my program. I have always and will continue to encourage kids to wrestle for their MS or Youth programs that will feed the HS they will attend. This only helps build programs. However this always doesn't happen. Like TURK said, kids will go where they feel they have better drill partners, maybe better schedules or coaches they feel more comfortable around. Most of the time in comes down to the parents. Usually they will seek out other programs from what their child was involved with the prior season. It happens people.

My advise to ALL, worry about coaching and touching a kids life, rather then thinking others are stealing or recruiting "your wrestlers" Please!!

Back to middle schoolers that will be wrestling highschool dont leave out logan Erdman from ryle, if jake doesnt make it. Logan could make some noise and possibly hit that podium. There are plenty of 8th graders that will be wrestling highschool that could be tough we will see how the strenght and maturity plays a factor on these middle schoolers.

Dang I need to work on my sarcasm. My point was that wrestling isn't the only reason people change schools (academics, job transfers, or whatever). You never know what someone is dealing with or why they are moving from one place to another.

• Upvote 1

I believe Hudson Heidorf is only an 8th grader and looked sharp for North Oldham at the Charger duals going 5-0 at 113. Not sure if he'll be there or at another weight come tournament time?

Bobby poynter, tough kid, took 4th at 103 as a first year middle schooler, and has only been working hard since.

went 5-0 at big brother duals at 120

and mikey smith from moore he was a state qualifier for middle school and high school, this past weekend at big brother duals he was bumped up to 160 a did well i think he went 3-2 or 4-1