Sign in to follow this  
Guest cmccoy

Region 1 Predictions

Predictions this early in the season are virtually worthless outside of motivating kids, we don't know how weights will fall and who has had a monster offseason, but since it seems you guys want it I'll give it.

1. Robert Smith, Union

2. Caleb Austin/Asa Odoms, Christian

3. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg

4. Anthony Dewitt, Fort Campbell

5. B.J. Miller, Ohio

6. Dalton Putty, UHA

Again the lowest weight in Region 1 is also a good looking weight in the state. Robert Smith backed up Trae Blackwell last year, but the few times I saw him wrestle he looked very impressive, and has a great coaching staff behind him. Christian has Asa Odoms coming back from injury or one of the breakout wrestlers last year, Caleb Austin. Jeremiah Kline is easily Trigg’s best shot at their first state placer since becoming a team again, if he has grown a bit more he could easily reach the regional finals. Dewitt struggled at times last year breaking his thumb at the start of the season and then wrestling as an undersized 112 the rest of the year, if he makes 106 he could be a dark horse for the finals. Miller and Putty are both kids from well coached teams who have shots at placing.

1. J.J. Killebrew, Christian

2. Trae Blackwell, Union

3. Travon Thacker, Hoptown

4. Clay Revlett, Caldwell

5. Travis Baggerly, Ohio

6. Fort Campbell

Killebrew and Blackwell enter the season as the top 2 guys in the state. Killebrew is a freak of nature and has plenty of technique to assist his athleticism. Blackwell has beyond solid technique and wins when he needs it. Thacker had a solid season last year and is easily the front runner of the rest of the 113 guys. Revlett suffered a heartbreaker last year where it seemed he was going to state only to lose in overtime, miles of heart. Baggerly and whoever Fort Campbell is gonna get rounds out the group.

1. Brock Ervin, Union

2. Chase Boone, Ohio

3. Chris Gilkey, Caldwell

4. Jeremy Burnham, Christian

5. Lydell Dyes, Hoptown

6. Isaiah Frank, Calloway

Union has their 3rd straight finalist as we continue through the heart of their lineup. Brock has been untouchable since winning the title as an 8th grader; I would love the irony if he lost to a Woodford County kid in the finals. Chase is one of the scariest kids I could ever imagine wrestling, just a short little ball of mean muscle. If Gilkey has worked hard this offseason he stands a good chance of making it a match against Boone. Jeremy Burnham is a very consistent wrestler, for 3 years you’ve known exactly what you’re gonna get from him. Dyes told me last year he planned on being 119 so I’ll put him over returning placer Isaiah Frank.

1. Billy Moore, Ohio

2. David Sahms, Fort Campbell

3. Wade Willen, UHA

4. Jeffery Wurth, Union

5. Tanner Ward, Apollo

6. Cody Whittington, Trigg

This year’s 126 seems even tougher than last year’s 140, any of the top 4 guys could win it and it really depends on who will bring their A game to regionals. Billy Moore had a huge last year but was inconsistent at times, losing to a couple kids who should’ve pinned. I’m gonna catch a lot of flak and accusations of homerism for this pick, but hear me out, when Sahms is on he is untouchable; I’ve seen him wrestle some of the best Tennessee has to offer and toss them aside like they’re nothing, he just doesn’t know when to bring his A game. Willen is the definition of a solid wrestler, great stance and is never in a bad position. Wurth was one of the many surprising wrestlers last year, is tied with Moore for the best top game in the region. After the big four the talent seems to really drop off where average, but no better wrestlers like Ward and Whittington sit.

1. Chad Gahafer, Union

2. Jacob Bennett, Ohio

3. Devantae Humphrey, Christian

4. Nick Ringle, Fort Campbell

5. Isaac Lawson, Hoptown

6. Ryan Gallogaly, Trigg

I already covered this weight

1. Jayce Carr, Union

2. Ryan Bunch, Ohio

3. Evan Butler, Hoptown

4. Josh Green, Fort Campbell

5. Chris Hall, Calloway

6. Christian County

This one too

1. Kory Polley, Christian

2. Colton Hall, UHA

3. Jerry Heywood, Fort Campbell

4. Justin Wynne, Paducah

5. Gabe Ervin, Union

6. Kyle Bunch, Ohio

Plenty of discussion on this one

1. Keegan Agnew, Caldwell

2. Jake Risinger, Union

3. Cameron Montgomery, UHA

4. Monnie Brown, Ohio

5. Cory Curtis, Daviees

6. Kyle Trumble, Hoptown

This is one weight I seriously disagreed with Ranger on. Keegan filled his brother’s shoes last year having a great season, the only guy in the region who knew how to beat Heywood. Risinger has been consistent for Union but he needs to step it up this year as Union moves into the more inexperienced part of their lineup. Montgomery will have put on a lot of weight if he is up here like Ranger says. Brown wrestles like Ohio County boys should, rough and in your face. Two guys I am unsure in fill in the alternate spots, could be better then I give them credit, or at a whole other weight.

1. Beau Sheffer, Union

2. Ki Ryder, Fort Campbell

3. Charlie Courtney, Calloway

4. Jayven Jones, Trigg

5. Christian County

6. UHA

160 was by far the weakest weight in the region last year. I am assuming the reason all these Union guys are dropping weight is because they got pushed up for Caleb. Courtney and Ryder split their matches at regionals last year, but I give Ryder the edge over how much he improved over the course of just one year. Jayven Jones could easily find himself in the regional finals; I feel I am almost shorting him here. I am really unsure of who else will land at this weight.

1. Devin Smith, Union

2. Michael Kennedy, Ohio

3. Jared Franklin, Fort Campbell

4. Tyler David Parker, Daviees

5. Jesse David, Caldwell

6. Christian County

When making my formula on how to beat Union I completely forgot about Devin Smith, forget it now, nobody is coming close this year. Devin Smith popped in and out of the lineup for Union last year if my memory serves me correctly, should be solid. Michael Kennedy was inconsistent last year, I am fairly sure he dropped a match to Jared Franklin last year. This is a case where if Fort Campbell peaks at the right time they could send kids like Jared Franklin to the finals. I am fairly vocal in my dislike of Daviees avoidance of the other teams in the region so I will say no more here. No major dark horses await in the wings at this weight.

1. Aaron Stevens, Trigg

2. Fort Campbell

3. Joe Gaines, Union

4. Derek Overstreet, Paducah

5. Christian County

6. Bradley Easterling, Ohio

After Buckman last year 189 was a fairly weak weight. Stevens is the highest returning placer and thus the definitive favorite over a bunch of unknowns. Fort Campbell has some athletic kids who have come out; if they stay on the team (which is rare) who is at this weight could shock some people. Joe Gaines is somebody Ranger and Union knows FAR better than I do. I don’t remember Overstreet but he is a regional placer. With all the unknown at this weight who knows how the bottom two spots will fill out.

1. Zach Mayton, Daviees

2. Fort Campbell

3. Christian County

4. Union County

5. I

6. Give up

Well now we come to the new weight class, we are all completely at a loss here. But again if Fort Campbell can keep the football talent in the room they can challenge for this open spot.

1. Tim Nikolao, Fort Campbell

2. Rashaud Wilkins, Union

3. Ryan Linn, Daviees

4. Noah Kennedy, Caldwell

5. Christian County

6. Open

215 was another weak weight last year once you got past Zimi John. Nikolao is coming back from two years of injuries and if he is back at 100% he could easily inherit the title closest to what his brother once earned. I have Wilkins over Linn here because of my faith in Union’s coaching. After those 3 the weight is relatively unknown and we don’t even know how many teams will be able to field wrestlers here.

1. David Dawson, Christian County

2. Raynel Brown, Union

3. Dominic Hephner, Caldwell

4. Michael Pettigrew, Paducah

5. Dakota Towery, Apollo

6. Fort Campbell (could be David Nikolao)

This weight flew wide open with Matt Woods moving. Dawson is the returning regional runner-up and did wrestle over the summer. Brown and Hephner are not far behind and could easily challenge for the title. From there on it is just a matter of who shows up

Well after I post this I hear about a ton of changes regarding weight, I give up haha

Let us hear about some of the weight changes, maybe it spark up some talk.

132 is looking to be one of the toughess wts.in the region,I was told last weekend at the Trigg Co. tournament that Jayce Carr and Wade Willen were both going 132. You throw in Devantae Humphrey and Jacob Bennett and 132 will be a tough,tough wt. to be in.

Killebrew Will Win state this year! End of story.

Chase Boone might have something to say about that. He is planning to be at 117 after christmas.

Chase Boone might have something to say about that. He is planning to be at 117 after christmas.

117 would still have him competing at 120 and likely not facing Killebrew.

• Upvote 1

117 would still have him competing at 120 and likely not facing Killebrew.

O.K. you got me on that one.So let me try this again.Chase is planning to go 115 after Christmas.

O.K. you got me on that one.So let me try this again.Chase is planning to go 115 after Christmas.

I honestly dnt think he can do it lol i mean yea he prob has the body fat to do it because of his height but you have to think of all the disadvantages he'll put himself in.. losing alot of strength(his advantage) and energy,..... just doesnt seem like the chase boone you would expect to dominate at 115. those extra 5lbs can hurt.

where is everybody going this weekend? I know Hop-Town is having a tourney, with a majority of Region One going there. UHA is going to the Derby City Classis. Ohio Co. is wrestling at Bryan Station(Lex.). If you know anything else let us know. Best of luck to all !!! WE'LL SEE YOU ALL SOON.

I watched that agnew and wynn match. It was a good one. I also heard thru the gravevine that Killebrew is not allowed to go below 126 from his body fat test which throws a monkey wrench in the rankings.

I watched that agnew and wynn match. It was a good one. I also heard thru the gravevine that Killebrew is not allowed to go below 126 from his body fat test which throws a monkey wrench in the rankings.

Wouldn't put too much faith in the grapevine. It looks to me like he weighed under 113 for the body fat.

That'd be good then. He is a legit wrestler. I was shocked when I heard that. Was told he quit because of the news and was talked back into wrestling again from the coaches. But I wouldn't take too much faith in the information I was told.

I still remember being told such lovely stories as Caleb never being able to wrestle again, a New Jersey state champ moving to fort Campbell, etc. I have learned never to trust the grapevine. Especially shootthehalf's rumors hahaha

kegan agnew is wrestling at 145 and might b going down to 138 after christmas so yes 45 is stacked and kegan just beat justin wynn

Was there anymore good match-ups at 145? Was there any good matches at any other wts.?

Where is everyone at this weekend 12/10?