Sign in to follow this  
DJP1

ALL "A" WRESTLING STATE TOURNAMENT

I have heard through the grapevine that there will be an ALL "A" state tournament next year. Does anyone have any info on this....when, where & what schools may be eligible ?

District 1 - Fulton City, Fulton County, Mayfield, Russellville

District 2 - Bethlehem, Caverna, Holy Cross (Louisville), Kentucky Country Day

District 3 - Bracken County, Eminence, Frankfort, Paris

District 4 - Beechwood, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow

District 5 - Berea, Campbellsville, Lynn Camp, Williamsburg

District 6 - Harlan, Hazard, Jenkins, Pineville

District 7 - Fairview, Nicholas County, Paintsville, Raceland

District 8 - Allen Central, Phelps, Pikeville, South Floyd

Since these are next years A1 schools there would only be one team next year.

Holy Cross (Lou) unless KCD keeps their team.

Just in case anyone is wondering here is next years football divisions.

APPROVED 2011-14 KHSAA FOOTBALL ALIGNMENT

CLASS 1A

District 1 - Fulton City, Fulton County, Mayfield, Russellville

District 2 - Bethlehem, Caverna, Holy Cross (Louisville), Kentucky Country Day

District 3 - Bracken County, Eminence, Frankfort, Paris

District 4 - Beechwood, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow

District 5 - Berea, Campbellsville, Lynn Camp, Williamsburg

District 6 - Harlan, Hazard, Jenkins, Pineville

District 7 - Fairview, Nicholas County, Paintsville, Raceland

District 8 - Allen Central, Phelps, Pikeville, South Floyd

CLASS 2A

District 1 - Ballard Memorial, Caldwell County, Crittenden County, Murray, Reidland

District 2 - Butler County, Hancock County, McLean County, Owensboro Catholic, Todd County Central, Union County

District 3 - Clinton County, Glasgow, Green County, Metcalfe County

District 4 - Bardstown, Christian Academy-Louisville, DeSales, Fort Knox, Shawnee, Washington County

District 5 - Carroll County, Gallatin County, Owen County, Trimble County, Walton-Verona

District 6 - Bishop Brossart, Holy Cross (Covington), Lloyd Memorial, Newport, Newport Central Catholic

District 7 - Danville, Lexington Christian, Middlesboro, Somerset

District 8 - Betsy Layne, Leslie County, Prestonsburg, Shelby Valley

CLASS 3A

District 1 - Fort Campbell, Heath, Paducah Tilghman, Trigg County, Webster County,

District 2 - Adair County, Edmonson County, Hart County, Monroe County, South Warren

District 3 - Central, Elizabethtown, Henry County, Larue County

District 4 – Bell County, Casey County, Corbin, McCreary Central, Wayne County

District 5 - Bath County, Bourbon County, Estill County, Garrard County, Powell County, Western Hills

District 6 - East Carter, Fleming County, Lewis County, Mason County, Russell, West Carter

District 7 - Breathitt County, Jackson County, Knott County Central, Magoffin County, Morgan County

District 8 - Belfry, East Ridge, Lawrence County, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark

CLASS 4A

District 1 - Calloway County, Hopkins County Central, Lone Oak, Madisonville-North Hopkins, Owensboro

District 2 - Allen County-Scottsville, Breckinridge County, Franklin-Simpson, Warren East

District 3 - Atherton, Collins, North Oldham, Spencer County, Waggener

District 4 – Doss, Fairdale, Moore, Valley, Western

District 5 - Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Marion County, Mercer County, Taylor County

District 6 - Clay County, Knox Central, Rockcastle County, Russell County

District 7 - Covington Catholic, Harrison County, Highlands, Holmes, Pendleton County

District 8 - Ashland Blazer, Boyd County, Greenup County, Johnson Central, Rowan County

CLASS 5A

District 1 - Apollo, Christian County, Graves County, Hopkinsville, Ohio County

District 2 - Barren County, Bowling Green, Greenwood, Logan County, Warren Central

District 3 - Grayson County, Iroquois, Jeffersontown, John Hardin, North Hardin

District 4 - Bullitt Central, Bullitt East, North Bullitt, Shelby County

District 5 - Conner, Cooper, Grant County, Scott, South Oldham

District 6 - Anderson County, East Jessamine, Franklin County, Montgomery County, West Jessamine, Woodford County

District 7 - Lincoln County, Madison Southern, North Laurel, Pulaski County, South Laurel, Southwestern

District 8 - Harlan County, Letcher County Central, Perry County Central, Whitley County

CLASS 6A

District 1 - Daviess County, Henderson County, Marshall County, Muhlenberg County

District 2 - Central Hardin, Meade County, Nelson County

District 3 – Butler, Pleasure Ridge Park, Seneca, Southern

District 4 - DuPont Manual, Male, St. Xavier, Trinity (Louisville)

District 5 - Ballard, Eastern, Fern Creek, Oldham County

District 6 - Boone County, Campbell County, Dixie Heights, Ryle, Simon Kenton (*)

District 7 - Bryan Station, Henry Clay, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Scott County

District 8 - George Rogers Clark, Lafayette, Madison Central, Tates Creek

(*) For 2011 and 2012 playing season, the 5th place team in District 6 of Class 6A will be bracketed as the number four (4)

seed in District 2 for the purpose of making playoff pairings.

• Upvote 1

Hey, I've been the head coach of both A wrestling teams. And coming from a guy who has coached kids from the smallest schools in KY to compete in wrestling, I still say "WE DO NOT NEED TO DIVIDE THE STATE".

relax ranger, haha, i believe what is being kicked around is something similiar to what basketball does with their all "a" tourney. that is it is basically an invite in the middle of the season of the smaller schools. josh is wrong in assuming it is based upon the football class criteria. basketball does not use this criteria either. the basketball coaches association decides who is "a" and who isnt. i would assume then that the host tourney of this event, Walton Verona, would ask the wrestling coaches association who they deem as small school and invite that group. so this would not be an official khsaa recognized state championship, similiar to the basketball set up. so the next question is what are the teams that the coaches association deem to be small school? this answer will tell you who will be invited to the all A tourney. i am sure it will take a few years to take off, but eventually i see it growing to something union and larue would even attend on a yearly basis. i believe this is the brainchild of bill boyle from what i am told.

I'm fine and totally good with an All A tournament as it has been talked about. I just don't like the large school small school division debate.

I think all "A" for basketball is the 120 lowest enrollment in the state. You would have to find the list of teams who are on the basketball all "A" and see who has wrestling.

I would say that you take the number of schools that have wrestling in the state of KY.

Then divide those schools into 3. The lowest 1/3 should get to attend. That will give you a base for the enrollment who would qualify for the All "A" wrestling classic.

I would say that you take the number of schools that have wrestling in the state of KY.

Then divide those schools into 3. The lowest 1/3 should get to attend. That will give you a base for the enrollment who would qualify for the All "A" wrestling classic.

I say you take the number of schools, divide is by 13 (nice random number), square it, cut off the top 13 (might as well us use that random number again), multiple it by 0, then add the original number again.

Honestly, I think it is going to take a few years for something like this to get it's feet under it with scheduling. Sort of like the JV state. Some teams have their schedules set and have a hard time fitting something in if they aren't completely into it and sold on the benefit of it.

So it appears that the all "A" classic is sponsored by Touchstone Energy. If wrestling was to be added to the list of sports and sponsored by Touchstone, then I see 1 really good reason for the schools to attend and that is scholarship money. Touchstone gave out 49 scholarships of no less than 1000 dollars to each recipient last year alone, and a total of 77,000. They currently have 8 sports/arts that they equally divide the scholarships amongst. Wrestling makes 9. So you would assume anywhere from 5-6 senior only wrestlers would get a minimum of 1000 dollars to apply to their college education. By my count, and i will include the current member school list below, there are 12 schools that currently have wrestling on the member list. Any school can apply to be a member school and must meet an obvious enrollment criteria that changes every year. I can say that if Walton Verona goes this route to start this tournament that schools may just change their schedules a bit. Because you can either take home a medal or a 1000 bucks. Might not take so long after all ranger.

ALL ‘A’ CLASSIC SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION

2010-2011 YEAR

GENERAL INFORMATION:

The Touchstone Energy All ‘A’ Classic is pleased to again announce the availability of non-renewable scholarships/grants-in-aid awarded annually to deserving seniors from Kentucky’s small high schools who will be continuing their ucation at a post-secondary school within the state of Kentucky.

ed

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:

To be eligible, an applicant must:

Be a U.S. citizen or in the process of obtaining citizenship and a Kentucky resident;

Be a senior student in good standing at a Kentucky high school that is a member of the All ‘A’ Classic;

Plan to attend a post-secondary institution in the State of Kentucky in the upcoming year as a full-time student;

Be Drug Free;

Submit an accurate and complete application by the designated deadline.

AWARD AMOUNT:

In 2010-2011, a minimum of twelve (12) $1,000 dollar scholarships will be awarded to senior students planning to attend any post-secondary institution within the state of Kentucky. This includes public and private colleges/universities, community colleges, and vocational & technical schools. Funds will be disbursed equally between the two (2) semesters ($500 each semester of the student’s first year) and credited to the student’s account by the participating institution. (During the 2009-2010 school year $77,000 was awarded)

Region 1(12) Region 7(6) Region 13(8)

Ballard Memorial Brown Barbourville

Carlisle County Christian Academy-Lou. Harlan

Christian Fellowship Louisville Collegiate Lynn Camp

Community Christian Kentucky Country Day Middlesboro

Fulton City Saint Francis Oneida Baptist

Fulton County Whitefield Academy Pineville

Heath Red Bird

Hickman County Region 8(7) Williamsburg

Mayfield Carroll County

Murray Eminence Region 14(10)

Reidland Gallatin County Buckhorn

Saint Mary Owen County Cordia

Trimble County Hazard

Region 2(7) Walton-Verona Jackson City

Caldwell County Williamstown Jenkins

Crittenden County June Buchanan

Dawson Springs Region 9(10) Lee County

Livingston Central Beechwood Leslie County

Lyon County Bellevue Owsley County

Trigg County Cov Holy Cross Wolfe County

University Heights Dayton

Lloyd Memorial

Region 3(6) Ludlow Region 15(10)

Butler County Newport Allen Central

Frederick Fraize New Cent Cath Betsy Layne

Hancock County Saint Henry Paintsville

McLean County Villa Madonna Phelps

Owensboro Catholic Piarist

Whitesville Trinity Pikeville

Region 10(9) Prestonsburg

Region 4(7) Augusta Shelby Valley

Clinton County Bishop Brossart Sheldon Clark

Cumberland County Bracken County South Floyd

Glasgow Calvary Christian

Metcalfe County Deming Region 16(8)

Monroe County Nicholas County Bath County

Russellville Paris Elliott County

Todd County Central Saint Patrick Fairview

Silver Grove Menifee County

Region 5(7) Morgan County

Bardstown Region 11(5) Raceland

Bethlehem Berea Rose Hill Christian

Campbellsville Frankfort West Carter

Caverna Lexington Christian

Fort Knox Model

Green County Sayre

Washington County

Region 12(4)

Region 6(7) Burgin

Beth Haven Danville

DeSales Monticello

Evangel Christian Somerset

Lou Holy Cross

Portland Christian

Presentation

Shawnee

TOUCHSTONE ENERGY ALL "A' CLASSIC

2010-2011

Very good information floridafan. That definitely changes things. With sponsorship and scholarship money involved then I think this could definitely work. I still think the timing and scheduling of the event will determine a lot of participation. And I don't see the big dogs of the small schools (teams like Union and Larue, if they make the enrollment cut) jumping in until the competition is there to use a weekend.