Sign in to follow this  
OCMVP

Region 5 Results (best I can remember)

103- Rusch NO dec Shirkey OC

112- Taylor JT pinned Keirger FC

119- Kaelin OC pinned Lancaster EAS (might be wrong on the pin?)

125- Rupp EAS dec Bisenius SO

130- Nyitrai EAS dec Avera NO

135 Shirey EAS dec Rusch NO 4-2

---- For my money, the best match of the finals, except all the blood time.  Both of this guys looked like complete studs.

140- Thomson NO dec Shapriov 3-0

145- Aleandru JT dec Procter So 2-0 in OT

152- Hendren KCD pinned Ayers OC

160- Boroff EAS dec Hinkle NO

---- I think the score was like 11-8?  Good match until the 3rd period, then Boroff ran out of gas, he looked good up until then

171- Warren SO pinned Hinkle NO

---- Warren was DOMINANT

189- Durbin EAS dec Greene JT 7-6?

215- Mcneely EAS pinned I can't remember

285- Brown SO pinned somone from OC

1st- Eastern

2nd- OC

MOW- Rupp----- he wrestled an awesome regionals.

103- Rusch 6-1 over Shirkey

130- Nyitrai 16-3 over Avera

160- Boroff 13-8 over Hinkle

Coach is being nice.  Here's my take on NO's finals matches:

103:  Rusch wrestled very conservatively and took #1 as an 8th grader.  Shirkey will be a handful next year.

130:  Avera made too many mistakes and Nyitrai took advantage.  Nyitrai was finesse and Avera was muscle.  Nyitrai deserved to win this match and handily.  I've always admired Russell's ethic/demeanor, so I'm glad he is the #1 seed for Region 5.

135:  VERY close match.  For some reason, the ref figured he'd decide this one.  Shirey was awarded back points when Rusch was rolling from back to front..no count.  Several blood time stops allowed Shirey to catch his breath.  I felt Rusch was pushing the action the whole match and would have won (probably by major) had the injury time not come into play.  The match should have at least gone to OT and let the wrestlers decide it.

140:  Thomson doesn't give up points.  Once the score was 1-0, Sharipov had to force the action.  Final was 3-0, but there was little doubt as to who would win.  I love watching Sharipov , and I think he will do well at State.

160:  Congrats to Boroff...he wrestled a smart match.  However, the ref was smoking dope on this one.  Hinkle was complacent early and ended up having to press the action late.  The ref had numerous stalling counts on Boroff, but never pulled the trigger.  Late in the 3rd, the score was 11-8.  Hinkle tried to let Boroff up, but Boroff held onto Hinkle's wrist like a velcro Chia Pet.  Hinkle was actually trying to pull away with his left and push away with his right (while standing up).  Boroff was in the fetal position wrapped around Hinkle's wrist.  Yet there was no stalling call.

171:  Warren demolished R Hinkle.  I love Robbie, but he was outclassed in this one.  Good luck to Warren at state.

This is my take on NO's finals matches.  Congrats to Eastern on winning Region 5.  They are well deserving of the Region Championship.  I don't know them, but the Rupp kids appear to come from a great family..glad Joe won MOW.

Long story short...I feel sorry for a bunch of high schoolers who draw Region 5 in the first round of the KHSSAA wrestling tourney!

Coach is being nice.  Here's my take on NO's finals matches:

103:  Rusch wrestled very conservatively and took #1 as an 8th grader.  Shirkey will be a handful next year.

130:  Avera made too many mistakes and Nyitrai took advantage.  Nyitrai was finesse and Avera was muscle.  Nyitrai deserved to win this match and handily.  I've always admired Russell's ethic/demeanor, so I'm glad he is the #1 seed for Region 5.

135:  VERY close match.  For some reason, the ref figured he'd decide this one.  Shirey was awarded back points when Rusch was rolling from back to front..no count.  Several blood time stops allowed Shirey to catch his breath.  I felt Rusch was pushing the action the whole match and would have won (probably by major) had the injury time not come into play.  The match should have at least gone to OT and let the wrestlers decide it.

140:  Thomson doesn't give up points.  Once the score was 1-0, Sharipov had to force the action.  Final was 3-0, but there was little doubt as to who would win.  I love watching Sharipov , and I think he will do well at State.

160:  Congrats to Boroff...he wrestled a smart match.  However, the ref was smoking dope on this one.  Hinkle was complacent early and ended up having to press the action late.  The ref had numerous stalling counts on Boroff, but never pulled the trigger.  Late in the 3rd, the score was 11-8.  Hinkle tried to let Boroff up, but Boroff held onto Hinkle's wrist like a velcro Chia Pet.  Hinkle was actually trying to pull away with his left and push away with his right (while standing up).  Boroff was in the fetal position wrapped around Hinkle's wrist.  Yet there was no stalling call.

171:  Warren demolished R Hinkle.  I love Robbie, but he was outclassed in this one.  Good luck to Warren at state.

This is my take on NO's finals matches.  Congrats to Eastern on winning Region 5.  They are well deserving of the Region Championship.  I don't know them, but the Rupp kids appear to come from a great family..glad Joe won MOW.

Long story short...I feel sorry for a bunch of high schoolers who draw Region 5 in the first round of the KHSSAA wrestling tourney!

Someone sounds a little salty. Get it over man, your boy got turned for back points(and some refs would've called backs more than once) and lost the match. And your boy Hinkle, he lost to. I'm sure Rusch and Hinkle are over their losses and focusing on state now. Maybe you could do the same.

Someone sounds a little salty. Get it over man, your boy got turned for back points(and some refs would've called backs more than once) and lost the match. And your boy Hinkle, he lost to. I'm sure Rusch and Hinkle are over their losses and focusing on state now. Maybe you could do the same.

Not salty at all.  I gave credit where credit was due.  I thought the Rusch-Shirey and Hinkle-Boroff matches were great.  I just gave my input on a couple of questionable calls. 

I know all the guys are already looking ahead to state.  I am impressed with what Region 5 is sending to state.  Good luck to all of the teams in Lexington.

I honestly think that Shirey and Rusch are the 2 best 135's I have seen this year.  I seriously believe they will make it to the finals and have a Region 5 regional rematch ala Scherer and Martinko from a few years back.  Their technique was awesome.  Not only that their two tough kids, just tough.  I've seen most of the 135's this year, and I seriously think they can make their way out to see each other in the finals.  Honeycutt is on Rusch's side, and Rushc can handle honeycutt (whom shirey had trouble with) and I think Shirey comes out on the bottom.  I may be completly off, but seeing these two wrestle, goodness they are good.

I will say the ref in that match sucked.  He is not one of the better refs in the state, does that mena the outcome should have been differant?  No probably not.  I do think they are 2 equally matched wrestlers who can make their way all the way out.

I for one, want to see that.

Seriously, Mustang -- Shirey rarely has a match with stops like that. And many, almost all, of his matches go the full 6 minutes, so to suggest that he needed breaks is ridiculous. If anything, the stops hurt his momentum. And, BTW, wasn't Rusch resting during the blood time, too? Finally, you must be unaware of the 5-second limit on riding the hips. THAT was the ref's worst mistake and should have been good for at least one additional stall point awarded to Shirey.

Finally, you must be unaware of the 5-second limit on riding the hips. THAT was the ref's worst mistake and should have been good for at least one additional stall point awarded to Shirey.

I've looked and looked through all my rules books and cannot find anything about a rule relative to a 5-second limit on riding hips. Please tell us where that is covered.

Seriously, Mustang -- Shirey rarely has a match with stops like that. And many, almost all, of his matches go the full 6 minutes, so to suggest that he needed breaks is ridiculous. If anything, the stops hurt his momentum. And, BTW, wasn't Rusch resting during the blood time, too? Finally, you must be unaware of the 5-second limit on riding the hips. THAT was the ref's worst mistake and should have been good for at least one additional stall point awarded to Shirey.

5 second rule?  Seriously stop making things up.

5 second rule?  Seriously stop making things up.

I was told about it by a coach, who was also a ref, years ago. So if that information was inaccurate, I apologize.

I honestly think that Shirey and Rusch are the 2 best 135's I have seen this year.  I seriously believe they will make it to the finals and have a Region 5 regional rematch ala Scherer and Martinko from a few years back.  Their technique was awesome.  Not only that their two tough kids, just tough.  I've seen most of the 135's this year, and I seriously think they can make their way out to see each other in the finals.  Honeycutt is on Rusch's side, and Rushc can handle honeycutt (whom shirey had trouble with) and I think Shirey comes out on the bottom.  I may be completly off, but seeing these two wrestle, goodness they are good.

for Rusch to come out of the top bracket he will to prob beat both thomas and travis k .

thats a tall order. if he does that he deserves to be in the finals