Sign in to follow this  
sprawl

What if....

You spent the last 3 years working toward a goal , to be a state champion, and you won first place in your regional tournament during your 8th grade year and then your state tournament was cancelled because of a bad decision on someone elses part.  Add to that you were also going to wrestle at the high school level in high school regionals and now this may not happen or you may have to decide between middle school

and high school tournaments. 

Some people have said, big deal.  He will learn he has to make tough decisions and he is going to have to learn this.  But I will point out to you he is in 8th grade.  He is 13 years old.  He us a child.  Our youth is lost so early and is so precious.  What a sad way to learn about life.  It breaks my heart for my son because this is his story.  For those of you who make light of the decisions he is going to have to make in the next few weeks , I say thank you.  Thanks do much for teaching my child , my 13 year old that life can sometimes suck and there's nothing we can do about it

my sentiments exactly sprawl, this is my 8th grade sons first year wrestling, won his district, won his region, was hoping to compete for a state championship. he was hoping to also compete with the high school team. now he is watching basketball on tv wondering if this being his only chance at a middle school state title will ever be a reality. all he has talked about all year is being a middle school state champion. looks like thats all he will get to do is talk about it.

Let's not jump the gun. As far as I know the decision hasn't been made yet. Hopefully, kyswa won't decide to screw 20 or 30 of the best wrestlers in the tournament. Though our team doesn't have any wrestlers that would be affected by this, I still think it would be horrible. Sprawl, gowrestle- I hope your sons get their shot.

my sentiments exactly sprawl, this is my 8th grade sons first year wrestling, won his district, won his region, was hoping to compete for a state championship. he was hoping to also compete with the high school team. now he is watching basketball on tv wondering if this being his only chance at a middle school state title will ever be a reality. all he has talked about all year is being a middle school state champion. looks like thats all he will get to do is talk about it.

Look it is not a done deal yet. The state officers are trying to come up with a solution so we can have state. If we want everyone that has qualified for state to be there then it will have to be the week after the high school state tournament if we can find a venue that is willing to host it. Don't give up your dream yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that a decision hasn't been made as far as rescheduling but I think it is much more unfair to ask 240

kids to make weight for the next 3 weeks and wrestle the week after HS state than to make a handful of kids decide between Middle School state and HS regionals.

The decision should do the most good not cater to the minority. I'm still wondering if the coaches or district reps will be polled by the board with options.

This is Sprawl (the originator of this thread not savage)

YACMED- At least have the decency to read and understand my post before you comment on it.  I NEVER once said I thjink that 240 kids should have to wait the next 3 weeks to wrestleand I NEVER once asked anyone to cater to the minority.  IN FACT I AM SO INSULTED THAT YOU POSTED THIS HERE BECAUSE YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE!!!.  My post was to say that I think it is unfair for bad decision makers to make poor choices for my child who has worked so hard and that it is unfair that some of you think so what,  big deal. Nothing you posted has one thing to do with my original post.  Kids have to grow up quick and I get that, but I the parent of MY child was expressing sadness that these kids have to learn life lessons this early that could have been avoided if common sense was used.  AGAIN, comprehension is important

I understand that a decision hasn't been made as far as rescheduling but I think it is much more unfair to ask 240

kids to make weight for the next 3 weeks and wrestle the week after HS state than to make a handful of kids decide between Middle School state and HS regionals.

The decision should do the most good not cater to the minority. I'm still wondering if the coaches or district reps will be polled by the board with options.

hey yacmed, your a tool! first off maybe you shouldnt of let little 6th grade yacmed jr cut 20 pounds so he could dodge better talent. maybe you should of spent the time making him a better wrestler instead of throwing him a meatless bone to chew on for dinner while you had him in the sauna for eight hours. maybe then you wouldnt be looking at 3 more weeks of starvation for your son while you feel guilty. no middle school kid should be cutting that much weight that the mere thought of having him continue to do so for three weeks trumps an eighth graders last shot at a state title or placing in state for the first time in his career. so how about you take a long hard look at your approach to make yacmed jr a quality wrestler and leave your ingnorant comments and child abuse to yourself.

I don't believe there are very many wrestlers out there that have made it to state that have not worked hard all year. No matter what decision is made, not everyone is going to happy. They will make the best decision possible, and there is nothing we can do about it.  We will have to deal with it. I feel that even though this is not ideal, that it is a life lesson and the way we handle it will reflect on how our children handle it. Lets keep that in mind. After all we are doing this for our children!!