117- Tenennbaum, Woolf, Russell

124- L Jones

131- Shoerer, Matthews

140- Warwick, Turner, Penick

150- Knalley, Adams

165- Hicks, Richardson, Howard

185- Thompson

HWT- Sinclair

I think Gray could run away with this tournament. Looks like there is going to be a lot of state placers out of this bunch. Should be some good wrestling.

I will give my opinion on some of the possile state qualifiers in the best region in the state. I am not a professional just a dad. Here goes:

70&75- loaded with talent, toss a coin. That was easy! Ok

96- Logan Winkler from Twenhofel might have gotten overlooked. I look for him to finish top 3 possibly 1 or 2. He is a very good wrestler.

110- Gavin is the favorite and overshadows a very good team mate in Chase Wilson. Look for him to make some noise & be a sleeper that may qualify in the top 4.

124- Zak Turnbull is a very talented young man that will definitely be in the finals for 1st & 2nd. Watch out for Zak!

140- Austin Penick will be focused & ready for action. I feel sorry for who draws him in the first round!

185- Trevor is the clear favorite here. This will be a very interesting wt. class to watch.Being one of the top 2 seeds is a very advantageous place to be at 185. Kyle Dullaghan  from Campbell will be riding on an emotional high from winning the district title. Gray's 185 is a very good wrestler who will be looking for redemption. Andrew Hendricks from Twenhofel who is probably the smallest & most dangerous wrestler at 185 in the state will be a force to be reckoned with if he is focused and on his game. He may be top 4 depending on the draw. He definitely has the talent. I like this wt. class.

Frank,

I respect your opinions and some I agree with and others I dont.

I agree that 70 is a coin toss although I do think Wells will win this with little problems, but 75 not so much. Skaggs will run through this weight class with no problem.

96- Winkler is tough, but he finished 3rd at districts and he got crushed by Wilson at Cooper who finished 3rd in his district. Spahr from CC is tough but he got crushed by Wilson as well. Those two will be in a battle for 4th place a this weight class. Not top 3

110- Completely agree Gavin Smith is very talented. But dont underestimate Mieman, hes a tough cookie. And Gavin Smith is going to have to get past Harrington to make it too the finals. While I'm not overly impressed with Harrington he has wrestled for a while and he shouldn't be over looked.

124- Agree, but he is wrestling for 2nd place here, since I believe Jones is the best 124 pounder in the state.

140- Penik is strong but thats it. If it plays out like it should Penick will have Warwick in the semi's and the boys are 1-1 against each other. So that should be a war.

185- Thompson clear favorite. CC boy is strong thats about it thou.

But there is a reason wrestling isn't done on paper. Anyone can win on any given day. In my experience wrestling in Northern Kentucky, I can name several people who were "favorites" who got caught or just beat. So anything can happen especially at this age. Good luck tomorrow all competitors.

Frank,

I respect your opinions and some I agree with and others I dont.

I agree that 70 is a coin toss although I do think Wells will win this with little problems, but 75 not so much. Skaggs will run through this weight class with no problem.

96- Winkler is tough, but he finished 3rd at districts and he got crushed by Wilson at Cooper who finished 3rd in his district. Spahr from CC is tough but he got crushed by Wilson as well. Those two will be in a battle for 4th place a this weight class. Not top 3

110- Completely agree Gavin Smith is very talented. But dont underestimate Mieman, hes a tough cookie. And Gavin Smith is going to have to get past Harrington to make it too the finals. While I'm not overly impressed with Harrington he has wrestled for a while and he shouldn't be over looked.

124- Agree, but he is wrestling for 2nd place here, since I believe Jones is the best 124 pounder in the state.

140- Penik is strong but thats it. If it plays out like it should Penick will have Warwick in the semi's and the boys are 1-1 against each other. So that should be a war.

185- Thompson clear favorite. CC boy is strong thats about it thou.

But there is a reason wrestling isn't done on paper. Anyone can win on any given day. In my experience wrestling in Northern Kentucky, I can name several people who were "favorites" who got caught or just beat. So anything can happen especially at this age. Good luck tomorrow all competitors.

I agree with your last statement & thanks for you opinion. You know your stuff. I am a little biased because I know these boys & believe in them. There will be some epic battles & some heartbreaking upsets. I also agree that none of these boys should be underestimated.

Good luck to all!

PinandWin- Yes those are my picks to finish. I think is several weight classes 1 and 2 can switch, but overall based on what I've seen this year, and if I was a betting man that is what I would bet on.

'wow' It's almost midnight and can't sleep due to a Middle school wrestling tournament. This should be a dandy.

there are so many fantastic match ups for this age group, we have Wiley and Erdman, Roth/Erdman, Wilson/Higgins & Rich, Brown/Belk, Hicks/Richardson plus many more. Don't have time to mention them all. we are going to see some of the best talent in the state all day long. the heavy weights will be a treat to watch, love watching the kid from Harrison. the Walton kid and the campbell co kid. look for great match ups here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrew Hendricks battle his way to Thompson for another dandy. Logan Jones is always a treat to watch wrestle as well as Meimen. ENOUGH said, Best of luck to all of the wrestlers. I hope that all of them compete their hearts out and remain injury free.

GREAT WRESTLING!

so much to cover, i'll just go off the top of my head.

Sickness- Gray was struck two huge blows when Nick Austin and Dave Rich were completely miserable trying to wrestle today. Nick Austin finished 6th which is horrible cause this young man really had a chance to win state. And Dave Rich wrestled through all of his sickness to a 4th place finish. Wow is all I got to say about this.

Upsets- Goshorn 10-4 dec over Erdmen was a shocker. Jake Erdmen losing 4-2 to Cline of CC was even bigger! Those two just blow my mind.

Results- Gray won despite only having one champion ( johnny mieman). CC looked awfully impressive today as well.

MOW- There was no award but if I were a coach and I had a say in it here would be my top 4.

1- Logan Jones.

2- Derek Wiley

3- Clay Brown

4- Trevor Thompson/ Joey Skaggs

Results that I remember off top of my head.

70- Wells dec Twenhofel 4-2

75- Skaggs dec Martin 6-0

82- Wiley majdec Goshorn 9-1

89- Cline dec Erdmen 4-2

96- Higgins pin Holmes

103- Brown dec Belk 8-1

110- Miemen dec Harrington 11-6

117-??????

124- Jones pin Twenhofel

131-Matthews majdec Shoerer 8-0

140- Warwick dec Dorn 5-3ot

150- ??????

165- Hicks pin Richardson

185- Thompson pin CC

HWT- Harrison County pin ????

Hardwork, Great job on your predictions! I did well on my sleeper Chase Wilson. Great job Chase & all your teammates at Twenhofel!

Rumor has it the sickness bug for Gray was bigger than Austin and Rich.  Also Martin, Both Erdmans, Belk, and Wolf. 

CC looked great, voted in from the coaches for State Duels.  Great job!!!!

My vote for MOW would be 1. Kline 2. Brown 3. Wiley.

""Rumor has it the sickness bug for Gray was bigger than Austin and Rich.  Also Martin, Both Erdmans, Belk, and Wolf. ""

Well that is great, so bring the sickness to the tournament and make all of the other kids sick! Look at all the intelligent parents.  :|

MOW ---  and since when does a regional not have a MOW???  :-o

Sorry mat_jumper for the bitterness, you must of been one of the teams beaten by Gray.  I am guessing that if it were any other tournement, besides regionals then they would of sat home. 

Sorry mat_jumper for the bitterness, you must of been one of the teams beaten by Gray.  I am guessing that if it were any other tournement, besides regionals then they would of sat home.

Well that really narrows it down.......good observation!!!!  :evil:

My hat's off to the kids of Region 3.  Hard nosed wrestling from the start.  Very few pins and very few dominated matches, plus a lot of upsets, made for a great day of wrestling.  If the other regions are this tough, state will be a bear.

Great job to Region 3.

GREAT WRESTLING!

so much to cover, i'll just go off the top of my head.

Sickness- Gray was struck two huge blows when Nick Austin and Dave Rich were completely miserable trying to wrestle today. Nick Austin finished 6th which is horrible cause this young man really had a chance to win state. And Dave Rich wrestled through all of his sickness to a 4th place finish. Wow is all I got to say about this.

Upsets- Goshorn 10-4 dec over Erdmen was a shocker. Jake Erdmen losing 4-2 to Cline of CC was even bigger! Those two just blow my mind.

Results- Gray won despite only having one champion ( johnny mieman). CC looked awfully impressive today as well.

MOW- There was no award but if I were a coach and I had a say in it here would be my top 4.

1- Logan Jones.

2- Derek Wiley

3- Clay Brown

4- Trevor Thompson/ Joey Skaggs

Results that I remember off top of my head.

70- Wells dec Twenhofel 4-2

75- Skaggs dec Martin 6-0

82- Wiley majdec Goshorn 9-1

89- Cline dec Erdmen 4-2

96- Higgins pin Holmes

103- Brown dec Belk 8-1

110- Miemen dec Harrington 11-6

117-??????

124- Jones pin Twenhofel

131-Matthews majdec Shoerer 8-0

140- Warwick dec Dorn 5-3ot

150- ??????

165- Hicks pin Richardson

185- Thompson pin CC

HWT- Harrison County pin ????

All you had to do was read my earlier response picking Cline as one to watch out for and your mind would still be intact.  Cline and Goshorn go at it 110% in practice every day so no real surprise they both impressed this weekend.

Rumor has it the sickness bug for Gray was bigger than Austin and Rich.  Also Martin, Both Erdmans, Belk, and Wolf. 

I was sitting in the stands most of the day by the Gray parents and was on the floor when some of the kids I really enjoy watching wrestle wrestled. From what I heard, and this is from Gray coaches and Parents was that Woolf was sick the week before at Conner which is why he wasn't able to wrestle in the finals at District. Other than Rich and Austin, Jake Erdmen was the one who was also really sick. Beyond that I highly doubt the others were sick. Martin wrestled tough against Skaggs like he always does I didn't see any difference. Logan Erdmen after his match and was able to settle himself down was up running around having a great time with his teammates and wrestlers from other teams so I don't think he was sick at all. Belk wrestled Brown tough and dominated throughout the day, I didn't notice any difference in him either. I remember hearing Sullivan say he didn't feel good after he lost one of his matches thou.