penguinskillkids

Riding time in high school?

Am I the only one that would like to see riding time in high school? I personally think it would be a good thing, people say it promotes stalling on top but I think it just puts more ergency on the bottom man to get out quicker. Also if the ref thinks the top man is just stalling he could stop the match in a stalemate and have them just start fresh.

Anyway, what are your alls opinion on this?

Yes, I know, it more than likely will never happen but what is your position on it?

1st ------What is the difference between stalling and riding?

2nd -----How would they start new? Neutral?

3rd------If they start them in neutral position after the stale-mate. I am totally against this. This would make it free-style wrestling. All on their feet. Which I have stated before is not what wrestling is. The object is to pin your opponent not score as much points as possible without trying to pin. (I like pinning combo's, 2 and 3 pt near fall)

Just my opion. :lol::D

1st- Riding is just staying on top of someone looking for a pin, stalling is someone sitting on someone's hips disallowing them to move and just sitting there wasting time.

2nd- I didn't mean new, I ment start over like in referee's position but just if nothing is happening then they would just start back so the guy couldn't just sit and gain from it.

3rd- I didn't say it was only for points, in college where they have riding time they almost are always looking agressively for a pin but the fact is that you arn't going to turn the best, so if you know it's going to be a close match why not try to try to ride them for a bit to get an edge on them in score?

Just my opinion ;)

If this is done right, (officiated correctly), and they don't allow stalling. This could enhance the mat wrestling. It would cause the bottom wrestler to work hard to move from the bottom and not just wait for something to happen. The top wrester would be able to recieve riding time if he is actually wrestling on the top and not just holding on. It would be a benifit to the top wrestler to try moves so that he earns riding time.

Riding time however only comes into effect when it is a close match or tied. Not sure if it could make a big difference here. It would also require all the officials to be trained in riding time.

Of course I think this is where the state has fallen down. Every official has thier own opinion on things and there is no mandatory meetings for officials. (Except the one at the begining of the year). We need all the officials to meet at least once a month in each region to compare and talk about how to officiate matches.

but this is another topic sorry.

Yes they would need to be taught about riding time and the difference between riding and stalling on top to get the right kind of riding time but I do strongly agree with you that there is no consistency in the referees in our state.

But I still think this would add to the quality of our wrestling, I know it isn't going to happen either way though.

It would work at the state tournament. But a lot of the meets i've gone to, some of the clowns running the clock have a hard enough time starting the clock when the guys wrestle. Not to mention keeping track of riding time on top of that ....

I am all for riding time, i saw it watching the Big 10 tournament on CSTV on my cable package ... and REALLY liked it. I just question whether it would be done right ... considering the issue i raised above.

I'm not sure the state tourney would be a problem. They usually get very good workers on those tables. It would be at regular season tourneys where the problem would occur. Sometimes they have enough problem finding someone qualified to keep score, let alone find another person qualified to keep riding time.

I'm not sure the state tourney would be a problem. They usually get very good workers on those tables. It would be at regular season tourneys where the problem would occur. Sometimes they have enough problem finding someone qualified to keep score' date=' let alone find another person qualified to keep riding time.[/quote']

If you even know half the rules in wrestling you should be able to work a clock decent enough to keep riding time.. I mean seriously lol. If the ref signals they are nuetral or a reversal then just stop their clock, until then unless they run out of bounds or something then keep it running, it's simple lol.

As far as I am concerned, they can keep riding time i college. I watched the NCAA finals today an I hate seeing someone get a point for (riding) someone else for a minute. I hope it never makes it to highschool. This is only my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions

YOu're right, there wouldn't be a problem with it at the state tourney. But i've seen too many regular tourneys where you got the kids down there running the clock too busy laughing, giggling, or flirting with one another to even start it when the ref blows the whistle. Not to mention having them responsible for riding time on top of it !!

I dont want to see riding in high schools A) it makes more rules B)makes another thing for the ref or score keepers to mess up i mean alot of score keepers have trouble taking score now then add this would be a mess C) encourages stalling the key to wrestling is to go out be agressive and go for the pin

Man i would love some ridding time cause i like doing it. If its done right, it is actually some hard work as far as skillz goes. I will say it gives u a bit of a break, but its all a part of a good wrestlers stratagy. On the other hand...im wit Dragon yo! I hate this passed seasons poor reffing jobs. There were some guy and girl refs that didnt even bother to hit the mat when a wrestler was pinned! I saw a hell of a lot of laziness this year, and ridding time is just something eles fo a dumb ass ref ta screw up on.

I have mixed feelings about it...

I dont want to see riding in high schools A) it makes more rules B)makes another thing for the ref or score keepers to mess up i mean alot of score keepers have trouble taking score now then add this would be a mess C) encourages stalling the key to wrestling is to go out be agressive and go for the pin

I disagree it encourages stalling. If you watched the NCAA finals, would you say there was a lot of stalling going on? Not at all. Those guys all work VERY hard on top. I'm going to eat my own words here, but after watching the NCAA's, I'd say at that level, the top position is almost more important then neutral. The reason is the riding time & a lot of those matches are so close, that they're tied up in the 3rd period....if you're dominant on top, and can ride well & turn guys like crazy...you'll have an advantage in those close matches. I would say it would better prepare our wrestlers for college if we did have riding time. But i see your point about it would be 1 more thing to keep track of and mess up.

I would definitely like seeing riding time come to High School Wrestling. I think we're being unfair in trying to make national rules decisions based on Kentucky officiating.

Riding time most definitely does not encourage stalling. If anything, it encourages the bottom man to work to get the hell off the bottom. If he does that, stalling is INCREDIBLY apparent on behalf of the top man (i.e. dropping down to a single leg over and over). Refs are quick to hit a stalling top man if the bottom man is clearly trying to get out in college.

It also, in my opinion, makes for much more exciting matches as it adds another element of strategy to the match. Scenario: you're all tied up with 30 seconds left in the match and 30 seconds of riding time...do you try to ride him out for the win, or do you cut him right away and use a full 30 seconds to get a match winning takedown? From my experience, riding time brings a new dimension to wrestling, and I think it would GREATLY improve Kentucky wrestling, as I feel our riding ability is sub-par when compared to other states.

there is already enough stalling and this would make it so then thats all some one could do get the take down and just ride from there it would make some matches more boring. Someone wrote that the college wrestlers work hard from top this is highschool most of the kids are already lazy wrestlers this would just add to the laziness