Sign in to follow this  
paris

Elementary Regional/State

I may be missing something about the complaint of nky region being on sunday, but I think it made it easier for you to make the tourn.  Since middle school is over Feb 6th and the high school is on sat. you wouldn't have to miss either of your son's matches. And as for the decision on the dates if your region doesn't come to the meeting then you have to accept the decisions of the ones that go.

So that makes you even more of an "idiot" for not going.

Sunday tournaments negatively impact families and kids that perfer to not play sports on the sabbath.  We need to do a better job of not scheduling events on Sunday. 

I hope some of these people that always  complain all the time about year in and year out would just take second and realize the officers in charge are volunteering thier time. And they are not making the decisions on thier own. Suggestions (motions) are brought up and voted on,the majority votes win. That being said if a region is not there to cast there vote they are bound  to accept however the vote goes. So before you condemn the tourn. go and give it a chance. To be honest I think the tournaments should go in order--youth middle then high school. I really think all areas can find youth coaches if they really try, they really only need to know the basic fundamentals. And average high school wrestler can teach them.

I coach at all 3 levels in our program.  Tonight I coached at our varsity event in Ohio, will catch some of the district tomorrow (my oldest son), and have coached at a couple of youth events over the last month (my youngest son).  Is it a hardship finding the time?  Absolutely.  But I do it.  Our program is blessed with a number of coaches to carry the load, but if that wasn't the case I would step up and carry as much as necessary for the benefit of the program and my kids.  It may not be easy to find coaches this time of year, but it can be done. 

How many matches will be going at once.....last year there was bunches of mats and still there all day.  Just hoping there is enough room for all our little guys to wrestle in a timely manner. 

Unanimous idiots.......just what we need.  Apparently nobody noticed the fact that participation has increased every year the last few years, whether the state was being held at Conner, Johnson Central, or Fern Creek.  If your numbers are going up, up, up you don't mess with a successful recipe.

Unanimous idiots.......just what we need.  Apparently nobody noticed the fact that participation has increased every year the last few years, whether the state was being held at Conner, Johnson Central, or Fern Creek.  If your numbers are going up, up, up you don't mess with a successful recipe.

im an idiot alright. an idiot for volunteering my time (which i have very little of because of coaching 2teams, working 2 jobs and raising 2 kids) to take a position that nobody else wanted. i dont recall seeing your name on the ballot. as a matter of fact i dont recall seeing anyone else's name on it because nobody else would do it. i gave up my time and effort just so we could have youth wrestling in kentucky this year. so unless you have some better suggestions that we could sensibly discuss that would be beneficial for the state as a whole,  a simple 'thank you' would be just fine. heres an even better idea: try coming to a meeting where these issues are discussed and voted on BY the coaches, not the board.

maybe if i wouldnt have volunteered all of my time to help the kids and the sport in this state, i would have enough time to sit around on my computer complaining and being disrespectful to someone trying to do something positive and help my kid. but, i have too much class for that. obviously, some of you do not.

Excellent post Kylegoldy I for one THANK YOU!!! The  ones(not I) that are saying you're only doing whats best for your area and not the whole state must not do very well in simple math, Lex,Lou Nky=90% of youth wrestling in state rest 10% So you and the rest of the board are right on target. Thanks to you and the rest of the officers my boy is looking forward to a great tournament

Heavy83

The  mission of the organization  I though was to continue to develop and grow youth werstlling in the state of KY, not the Lex, Lou and NKY areas.  You say 90 % I would guess more like 75 %.  If you leave out the Southeast KY (Mcc, Wayne), West(Union, UH,) and Easter KY (Martin County, Johnson County, Perry County, Ashland).    Whatever the % is how does the organization continue to grow without these areas? 

I mean no disrespect to anyone who is working with the elementary program.  I know the committment that is involved working as a volunteer.  I have volunteered with my children's programs for over twenty-five years and appreciate the time and effort involved by the organizers.  Hats off to you all.  That said, I have tried to make it to the spring meetings since becoming a wrestling coach, but I have had prior committments on those days and could not be there.  I am from Eastern Ky and winter practices are not consistant in our area.  Snow days interfere with practice--parents are not going to risk their kids on bad mountain roads.  Our school system currently has not been in school since Dec 18.  The county was hit hard with extreme cold and snow and a broken water main shut down water to the whole county (parts of the county still are without water).  School resumes tomorrow with water tanked in.  That means that we have not practiced with the elementary for over a month and only have three weeks to get them ready for region now.  I am the assistant high school coach and though we have tried, we have not been able to recruit anyone to work with the kids in our area.  No one is willing to give the time or learn the sport.  So if we want a program, I have to run it or wait until they are in high school.  Those extra weeks were vital to us and we will miss them.

The real question is how do you get the coaches who disagree actually take the time to have their opinions heard at one of the youth meetings?  I was at the spring meeting when some of these decisions were brought to the table and almost all the votes were 100%.  So I am curious who actually disagrees, and why weren't they at the meeting.  Its simple, if you care, take the time to get involved with the process.  There will be another meeting in the spring and in the fall.  It is a STATE coaches meeting and all Kentucky coaches are invited.  Its like not voting in an election and then compaining about the President.  If you are a parent, talk to your coach and express your concerns and make sure they go to represent your team.  If you don't take the time to have your opinion heard at the meeting, don't get on the internet and criticize everyone who did take the time to go.  Especially just weeks before the tournament.  The spring and fall meetings are the time and the place to voice your concerns or complaints, not the internet.  Hope all the coaches make it to the spring meeting and help Kentucky wrestling continue to go in the right direction.

JCB- My % may be off a little but my point was to show thatdo we make vast majority not go with the normal season and go with the smaller numbers? I really don't know for sure. I do know when tourn. was in March our guys were getting bored or burned out. Thats why I actually think its should be before the middle school eventually not now but when the numbers shows the state gotten stronger throughout all areas. Just my opoinion tho

Heavy 83

I agree with you that a some point we need to have the elementary state before the middle school state.  However, at this time many of rural teams are not able to do that to to the lack of resources.  I guess as most organization the elementary organization needs to develop a 1,2 and 5 year plans.  By having a short, and long range goals it would keep the organization focus. 

Heavy 83

I agree with you that a some point we need to have the elementary state before the middle school state.  However, at this time many of rural teams are not able to do that to to the lack of resources.  I guess as most organization the elementary organization needs to develop a 1,2 and 5 year plans.  By having a short, and long range goals it would keep the organization focus.

Good point.  I haven't been that involved over the last year, so I can't say what has been planned out for 3-5 years.  I would guess much has been discussed, but maybe not been decided or made public.  Since this organization is still in its' infancy many items are stilled taken and decided as they come.  It would be great to have a long term plan.  And I'm sure over the next few years something like that will be in the works.  But for now, we are all just figuring this thing out and making the best of it.

I dont know all the specifics but from what Ive picked up on this thread the problems the outlying areas have regarding programs and attending the state meet arent going to be fixed by moving the date of the tournament.

The majority of the state, whether it's 55% - 95% voted and prefer the current date.

The outlying areas can still wrestle later in the year, there are plenty of USAW or AAU events to compete or they could start their own leauge amongst themselves to get more competition later in the year.

The problems stated by most of the remote areas are that they cant find exclusive coaches for youth teams and to far to travel. These problems have been the same for years and years. I feel for you, but this site and the state's wrestling organizations wont be able to fix those problems.

Thanks to all the parents and coaches putting in the hard work to make this possible on all levels.

In regards to have events on Sundays, I think it is a good idea.  Most of the middle and elementary wrestlers have older brothers who wrestle in high school on Saturdays.  If more of the youth wrestling were on Sundays then families wouldn't have to choose which kid they are going to watch.  Even if they are on Sunday, there are plenty of youth football, baseball, and basketball games played on Sunday's and hardly anyone has a problem with that.

Middletown Eagle Wrestling Will be training kids for the Youth Regional (Feb 13th) and State Tournament (Feb 21st) beginning Feb 8th in Eastern High Schools wrestling room 5:45-7:30 Middletown Wrestling is formerly Crosby Club Team we are accepting all kids who want to be part of a growing competitive program into the next middle school season

any questions please feel free to call 835 3015 or email Coach Rob @ godsstreetsoldier@yahoo.con thank you and good luck in your present season