colonel130

out of state wrestling

what do you think Kentucky's difficulty level is compared to other states? ex. is it less competion at tennessee state or virgina or florida??

Kentucky is not a very good wrestling state, definitely not in the top half of the country. I'd say we're in the high 30's or low 40's in terms of rankings. This is based on teams and individuals. However we have produced high quality individuals from time to time (Joe Carr Jr., Brad Cooper, Kyle Ruschell). Personally I think we are on the same level as Tennessee, we can beat Baylor, they're good but not that good. Specifically with Virginia and Florida we are nowhere close to them. Virginia has obviously Great Bridge, and they have a few other tough teams (Cox, Grundy, Christiansburg, just to name a few). Florida also has lots of tough teams, the most powerful being Brandon High School.

One more thing. I know Kentucky is not close to the top right now. However our future looks VERY BRIGHT! Since I've been in high school I've heard a lot about middle school teams and youth programs popping up all over the state, that's the secret (although it's not much of one anymore). The climb to the top is going to be long and difficult, and it may not happen until I am dead and gone, but I know we can do it.

Dan Gable was once asked his secret. He said there's no secret, it's just "Hard Work". I agree with that completely, but let me add something to it. You also have to work smart. In the summer when you kids are training you have to drill. I know it's a pain and you'd much rather get after it and scrap, but drilling is what makes you better. You can get a great workout in with a hard drill, probably better than live wrestling if you do it right.

We can do this! It's just going to take some time (along with some blood, sweat and tears).

id have to admit drilling a move over and over is the best way to perfect a move because you get it glued into your head and when you do drill it dont just go through the motions run it full and ya i think we can build our program in ky up we just have to have the heart of other states ex ohio or any other top wrestling states we have to have the heart of champions here.

Compared to up north we are crap' date=' down south I believe we would be considered average/or better than most.[/quote']

:twisted: we would not be considered better than down south and maybe not even average.I'm in college and i have wrestled alot of people from down south and they would come here to kentucky and take state very easily. In my opinion we are a weak state but dont get me wrong we do have alot of good talent.But i'm still repesenting the kentucky boys.

152vhs. You are exactly right about kids from other states coming here and winning. Untill we get out of this (best in our state) mentality and start to travel and wrestle schools from Oh, W.Va ,In and realize that even though a school may be tough in our state we cant YET compete with good schools from other states. I may be wrong here,but I feel like our schools shy away from out of state compitition just so they can sport a good win loss record.

I think it is good that Kentucky schools wrestle schools from other states. It give Kentucky schools a chance to wrestle different wrestlers from other states. It will, also, improve the quality of wrestling in Kentucky. I'm from Indiana & I think Kentucky can become a good wrestling state. Kentucky is doing it right now. I have seen Kentucky wrestling clubs come up & compete in Indiana folkstyle tournaments, i.e. Tell City. I encourage Kentucky to keep wrestling in as many out of state meets as possible & send as many young wrestlers to the wrestling camps as possible. Keep up the good work. You guys can do it.