myGSP

M.S. wrestling in H.S.

What are your thoughts? Should the KHSAA make a rule like other states that M.S. can't wrestle H.S.? If M.S.'s are wrestling in H.S. should they still be able to wrestle in M.S. / M.S. State?

What are your thoughts? Should the KHSAA make a rule like other states that M.S. can't wrestle H.S.? If M.S.'s are wrestling in H.S. should they still be able to wrestle in M.S. / M.S. State?

We've already had this discussion once before, but here goes: The last time the state disallowed Middle school wrestler to wrestle varsity it nearly killed the sport. We are just now recovering and getting programs back to health and growing. Yes they should be allowed to wrestle varsity. Yes, they should be allowed to wrestle in middle school even though they wrestle varsity.  Who cares what other states are doing? If you're a middle school wrestler who gets beat by a varsity wrestler who is also in middle school, get better. This isn't the YMCA where we give everyone a trophy and make them feel good about themselves, it's competition. Coaches are not stupid. My son wrestled varsity last year as an 8th grader. He was ready and qualified for state. I've had other middle school wrestlers who weren't ready and did not get to wrestle varsity, that was a choice I made. To me middle school wrestlers, wrestling varsity are paramount to the continued success and growth of the sport in our state.