Mathound

Wrestling Workouts

I'm trying to post some workouts for reference for coaches and wrestlers. If you know of any, please reply here with a detailed description of the workout. Make sure it is in a format that can be posted on the front page, so spell check your write-up, make it look nice, and if it is good enough we'll post it on the front page to include in our workout articles.

Here's an example of one that Coach Smith posted...

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/posts/468/the-playing-card-workout-for-wrestlers/

my workout includes mostly calisthenics which includes monkey humpers donkey kicks marine style push-ups set-ups and crunches also i do partner work outs such as partner set-ups and partner pull-ups  and the you are warmed up and ready for the weight training

my workout includes mostly calisthenics which includes monkey humpers donkey kicks marine style push-ups set-ups and crunches also i do partner work outs such as partner set-ups and partner pull-ups  and the you are warmed up and ready for the weight training

Huh, monkey humpers and donkey kicks.  Sounds like something straight out of Bob and Tom.  Sorry, had to throw that in there.  Anyway, In addition to using workouts that we used on my high school team, I've been able to find quite a few on flowrestling.org.  Just type workout in the search and there are quite a few that pop up.  The Arizona State plate workout is a pretty good one that I would recommend.  It really emphasizes the core.  I altered it a little bit to meet the needs of our team and the facility we have available to us in the winter.  I start at 10 reps instead of 16 and I use churchills in the gym instead of the run around the track.

I also use that plate work out which is odd.  Thi shas been the first year my guys have touched a weight during the season.  I am trying to evolve to bridge the gap with football.  Ironically none of the football players could last through the workout the first time they did it.

We've only done the ASU plate workout a few times, but like I said, it's a great workout.  None of my guys could complete it the 1st time either and that's with knocking it down to 10 reps to start instead of 16 like in the video.  I've also made a few other alterations to meet my teams needs.  In the video, all of the ASU wrestlers use 45 lb weights.  Not all my wrestlers use 45 lb weights.  I let some of the smaller guys use 25 & 35 lb plates.  I start with 10 reps then 9 reps.  We break and run 2 churchills in the gym for time.  We then come back together and do 8 reps then 7 reps and so on and so on.  It's something I'll implement more in the offseason and then only use a few times during the season next year.  It's a great total body workout with extra emphasis on the core.  It really combines distance, interval and strength training all in one workout if done correctly and using a few alterations.