Sign in to follow this  
SO MK

area colleges starting teams

In kentucky I would like to see union college, georgetown, and pikeville start wrestling programs. their already in the mid south conference, which now sponsers the sport. other mid south schools to convince would be virginia-wise, shorter college in geogia, lambuth university and bethel college in tennessee, and faulkner university in alabama.

Austin Peay State University has started a club wrestling team and is actively competing in the NCWA.

IF you know anyone who is interested in wrestling contact me @ anthony.shingler@gmail.com

Where and when does Austin Peay practice?

In kentucky I would like to see union college, georgetown, and pikeville start wrestling programs. their already in the mid south conference, which now sponsers the sport

So Why aren't we petitioning schools like U of L or UK to get their programs up and running?  As a College wrestler I see the only way Kentucky wrestling will begin to be respected, or even recruited by big programs is if we get some programs, NCAA programs going in KY.  UK came up last year for their chance to have an official team instead of just a club team and what happened? Not enough push from the grass roots.  We need to be all over these programs, especially UK, because they have the money but are too focused on BB and FB to care.

when did UK have a meeting?  Did you go? Did you inform anyone?  It really takes someone to stay on top of these things.  I have emailed Eric Ward AD at Georgetown a few times and he has never replied, not happy about that.  THey are in the SMC and would greatly benefit.

You are going to have a hard time getting a D1 school to add any mens sport because they need to provide an equal womens sport with the same number of athletes. That was hard a few years ago before the economic meltdown and almost impossible now.  The school would need to be highly motivated (read come out ahead financially) to take that step

Sorry but you guys are wasting your time with UK and U of L.  They're never going to start a program in the near future because of Title IX.  You'd be better off lobbying at smaller schools; Georgetown is a good example but it sounds like many have tried without success.  Keep trying guys, after all what's the worst they can say?

Im not very familiar with college wrestling but why couldnt a school like WKU develop a team..theres deffinatly money at western and it now quailifies as a D1 school...i know the title nine rule kinda pushes that idea outta the way but if it didnt does the sun belt have any other programs