Sign in to follow this  
Guest cmccoy

Realignment and State Duals Update

I always thought the national rules regarding high school athletics were governed by the NHSCA.

Anyone know if thats correct?

I always thought the national rules regarding high school athletics were governed by the NHSCA.

Anyone know if thats correct?

I thought it was the NFHS - National Federation of State High School Associations.  www.nfhs.org

I don't see the point in the dead period. What does it matter if your coach is teaching you, or someone else?

1.  Too much pressure being put on athletes (especially HS athletes that have more important things to worry about)?

2.  Year round activities increase the chance of injury (wear down of joints, muscle tissues, ligaments, tendons, etc...)?

There are many others, but these are the two most commonly mentioned.

Some Coaches take it to far making it a requirement that their wrestlers participate in his off season programs. Some kids may love it but for those that dont it creates an unfair expectation and Coaches have been known to punish kids who did not participate. I know its hard to believe but these types of Coaches take it the extreme and this rule was put in place to protect against these Coaches.

Its a good rule but for KY, but there need to be amendments to allow Coaches to participate as Coaches for off season tournements. This would improve safety for the kids because it could provide the competency of a Coach in the corner during a match. Many kids are now competing in the off season with noone in the corner or someone who is just an interested person like a parent, friends, basically fans for the kids but not someone with real knowledge of the sport.

Most sports have plenty of parents stepping up in the off season to help out but wrestling is different. There arent many parents with the know how or the interest in becoming educated enough to qualify as a Coash. USAW provides an excellent training program providing different levels of certification for coaching which would greatly help people interested in being involved in off season but very few make use of it.

I thought it was the NFHS - National Federation of State High School Associations.  www.nfhs.org

Your probably right, I couldnt remember the exact name but NFHS sounds correct.

Some Coaches take it to far making it a requirement that their wrestlers participate in his off season programs. Some kids may love it but for those that dont it creates an unfair expectation and Coaches have been known to punish kids who did not participate. I know its hard to believe but these types of Coaches take it the extreme and this rule was put in place to protect against these Coaches.

Its a good rule but for KY, but there need to be amendments to allow Coaches to participate as Coaches for off season tournements. This would improve safety for the kids because it could provide the competency of a Coach in the corner during a match. Many kids are now competing in the off season with noone in the corner or someone who is just an interested person like a parent, friends, basically fans for the kids but not someone with real knowledge of the sport.

Most sports have plenty of parents stepping up in the off season to help out but wrestling is different. There arent many parents with the know how or the interest in becoming educated enough to qualify as a Coash. USAW provides an excellent training program providing different levels of certification for coaching which would greatly help people interested in being involved in off season but very few make use of it.

EvilleDad, I absolutely agree with you. It's frustrating that kids who want to compete in the offseason don't have a knowledgeable coach in their corner. So they don't learn as much as they could and take a safety risk, too. It also makes it hard to build team spirit because it's up to the parents to organize off-season activities, which leads me back to the point I made earlier.

4.  I have not heard of a state that actually allowed a coach to coach in the off season of any sport. 

Dinubus, you haven't heard of the state of North Carolina then. Thead coach at Cary High School arranged for the team to go to camp, collected the money from all the parents, and took his team to camp on a bus to Appalachian State University, where he coached the boys as they participated in the camp. I personally received his e-mails, sent him money, and watched him load all the boys onto the bus. And after we moved here, we continued to send our son to his camp because Eastern didn't have the same kind of program. We watched the coach work with the boys at the last day tournament, and we saw other coaches there from NC high schools, as well as ones from GA and FL and who knows where else. We were surprised and disappointed to find that Eastern's coach couldn't do the same kind of thing. So it is different in other states.

Ok where can we find this information?

What exactly can a coach do and what exactly can he not do?

I know that I violated whatever the rules were while coaching at Holmes.  Mostly because I was not informed about them nor really worried about them.  (No one was watching what I was doing at such a low level school)

However I am now going to return to Campbell and coach my son.  I'm pretty sure I have NO restriction about my son.  I can't imagine that I would not be allowed to coach my own son.  However what about his buddies?  This year his buddies are still in middle school but next year they will be high school kids. 

Like many of you have stated this is ridiculous.  How do you allow a untrained or at the very best undertrained person sit in the corner of a wrestling match in the off season? 

My next question what is the ramifications if this rule is violated? 

I fully understand what Dinubus was saying and agree.  But most wrestling coaches are not like football coaches.  Many of them are fanatical, and would require off season training, and limit the kids ability to play other sports.  I don't think wresting coaches (at least in Ky) are like this. 

Check out the KHSAA.org website.  Go to the handbook and take a look at Bylaws 25 and 26.  I think this is in the process of being modified to allow more coach involvement during the offseason.  Good luck.

I know that I violated whatever the rules were while coaching at Holmes.  Mostly because I was not informed about them nor really worried about them.  (No one was watching what I was doing at such a low level school)

However I am now going to return to Campbell and coach my son.  I'm pretty sure I have NO restriction about my son.  I can't imagine that I would not be allowed to coach my own son.  However what about his buddies?  This year his buddies are still in middle school but next year they will be high school kids. 

Like many of you have stated this is ridiculous.  How do you allow a untrained or at the very best undertrained person sit in the corner of a wrestling match in the off season? 

I fully understand what Dinubus was saying and agree.  But most wrestling coaches are not like football coaches.  Many of them are fanatical, and would require off season training, and limit the kids ability to play other sports.  I don't think wresting coaches (at least in Ky) are like this. 

In other sports I remember it working like this, you could coach your own son or daughter in a team sport, but I think there is still a dead period that coaches arent allowed to be around any of their own players. I think in wrestling you could manage the group as a team and allow you to coach the entire group as long as they are on the same team as your son or daughter.

When you say you dont think wrestling coaches are not fanatical like other sports, I tend to agree. But I have seen fanatical wrestling coaches too and it only takes one fanatical coach and the situation changes and requires the kind of rule that is in place now. I agree with the rule for the reason it was intended, but I too would like to see it amended. But even as it is now coaches find ways around it, they coach everyone but their own kids and ask other coaches to help with their kids.

Kentucky just really suffers because there aren't enough qualified coaches for the high schools let alone for off season wrestling. So when a qualified HS Coach is willing to go the extra mile for off season coaching and then isnt allowed to work with his own kids and there is no other qualified coaches to step up, it makes it bad.

I dont know what the answer is but I hope they figure something out!

4.  I have not heard of a state that actually allowed a coach to coach in the off season of any sport. 

Dinubus, you haven't heard of the state of North Carolina then. Thead coach at Cary High School arranged for the team to go to camp, collected the money from all the parents, and took his team to camp on a bus to Appalachian State University, where he coached the boys as they participated in the camp. I personally received his e-mails, sent him money, and watched him load all the boys onto the bus. And after we moved here, we continued to send our son to his camp because Eastern didn't have the same kind of program. We watched the coach work with the boys at the last day tournament, and we saw other coaches there from NC high schools, as well as ones from GA and FL and who knows where else. We were surprised and disappointed to find that Eastern's coach couldn't do the same kind of thing. So it is different in other states.

Coaches in KY can take kids to camps and be there for them at wrestling camps.  They would not be showing the moves or "coaching" them, rather; they would be acting as an adult supervisor and trying to learn themselves.  Look more at the rule rather than trying to go agains thwat I have stated.  NC doesn't allow the coaches to "coach" in the off-season.  Sorry!

You are correct, you can coach your son.  You can show him whatever you desire and whomever may be watching can learn if they so desire.  However, I would not sit in the corner at a tournament by any other kids besides my own.  That is where you would cross the line and get in trouble.

I agree with what you are saying and think it best benefits the wrestlers to have a qualified coach in the corner.  We can also look at the positive of this current situation that the wrestlers can use this mat time as a learning experience.  I remember wrestling in summer tournaments without the pressure of my coach watching and learning from the things I did right and from the mistakes I made.  I believe smart wrestlers can gain much needed knowledge by wrestling without a coach in the corner.  This statement is mostly geared towards high school aged wrestlers.

I don't see the point in the dead period. What does it matter if your coach is teaching you, or someone else?

I think some people are confusing the off season, which begins immediately after the season ends and continues until June 1st. During this time a coach cannot directly give instruction but they can have team workouts or conditioning. The dead period is a 2 week window that occurs before the start of practice for fall sports. During this time all coaches are required to have no contact with players. If we did not have a dead period there are large amount of kids that would never have a summer break of any sort because they would be practicing.