Sign in to follow this  
mat__fiend

john fahy unstoppable???

With a very young 103 weight class he was a machine.  However, he needs to continually grow as a wrestler, or stay at 103 to hit the 4 time mark.  Of course, with the competition he has a tendency to hit in other major events, I am sure he will continue to grow.

With a very young 103 weight class he was a machine.  However, he needs to continually grow as a wrestler, or stay at 103 to hit the 4 time mark.  Of course, with the competition he has a tendency to hit in other major events, I am sure he will continue to grow.

No way he stays at 103. He continued to grow throughout the season and "rumor" (from a very reliable source) is he weighed 122 two weeks prior to regionals.  Remember he didn't wrestle several weekends during this time.  I see him at 125 next season.

who else thinks that this kid is the next 4 time state champ

without a doubt.  i don't think he'll lose a match in kentucky.  he's gonna grow, but he'll still be strong for his size and his technique is a lot better than the majority of the lightweights he's going to face.  next year will be the tricky year if he bumps up to like a 119 or 125 and runs into a stud there, but after that I think he'll cruise.

i agree.

Im going to go out on a limb, and say that John Fahy will be better than Issac Knable. Lets see how that stirs things up...

look at people in the past that were just as good or better than fahy that didnt end up being 4 timers. you have to understand there will always be someone that is good in every weight.

luke metzker is an example of one. his toughest year he won state but even he wasnt a 4 timer.

I'm the first to dog on 103lbers but he is the real deal.. Will problably be at 119 next year and up from there.  4 time state champ no doubt.  In fact I'll go as far to say he'll go all four years undefeated in the state.

4 timer no doubt?

I remember when this same BS was posted about sullivan.

SEE! i heard it all the time about sullivan. there will always be someone that everyone thinks will be a 4 timer but its harder than some of you think. you think just cuz the kid is that good that he cant be beat. what if next year some other kid comes into highschool who is better than fahy?

No doubt.  Thakn you Podgorski.  For real, a 4 time champ is no joke, and not automatic.  To predict ti now is just silly.

That is definitely true. I wrestled 103 as a freshman. I hated that people said they would have the same record as me if they wrestled 103. There is some truth to it. There are some, well say less than solidly athletic kids that come out at that weight, but your still wrestling guys your same size. Congrats to Fahy for the freshman state title. But if he wants to be a four timer he will have to work non stop from now until after the finals his senior year. Who would have thought Sullivan would have lost his last state finals? :| Thats what makes wrestling great, if you slip up and get lazy, there is always someone out there willing to work harder.....

SEE! i heard it all the time about sullivan. there will always be someone that everyone thinks will be a 4 timer but its harder than some of you think. you think just cuz the kid is that good that he cant be beat. what if next year some other kid comes into highschool who is better than fahy?

Anything is possible, obviously.  But he has more experience wrestling the toughest competition in the nation than any kid in our state.  He is a counselor at Jeff Jordan's camps.  No one is hyping this kid up.  You will see. 

That is definitely true. I wrestled 103 as a freshman. I hated that people said they would have the same record as me if they wrestled 103. There is some truth to it. There are some, well say less than solidly athletic kids that come out at that weight, but your still wrestling guys your same size. Congrats to Fahy for the freshman state title. But if he wants to be a four timer he will have to work non stop from now until after the finals his senior year. Who would have thought Sullivan would have lost his last state finals? :| Thats what makes wrestling great, if you slip up and get lazy, there is always someone out there willing to work harder.....

i will say it wasnt a huge upset to me when sullivan lost. i mean who he lost to in my opinion was the biggest upset about him losing, but the fact of him losing wasnt a huge upset in my eyes. im not saying that because i dont think he was good, but im saying it because he had so much pressure riding on his shoulders that last match of his highschool career, i think that just about anybody in the entire state at 112 could have beaten him.

i will say it wasnt a huge upset to me when sullivan lost. i mean who he lost to in my opinion was the biggest upset about him losing, but the fact of him losing wasnt a huge upset in my eyes. im not saying that because i dont think he was good, but im saying it because he had so much pressure riding on his shoulders that last match of his highschool career, i think that just about anybody in the entire state at 112 could have beaten him.

Alot of people would argue that he only deserves to be a 2 time state champion.

I think John Fahy is the best freshman to come into KY in a long time.

Only time will tell how he really stacks up against the past.

The great thing about this discussion is we will get to see it play out over the next four years.

I like him and wish him the best!

Good Luck John!

Fahy is a solid wrestler, and the kind of kid we need to take KY to the next level.  I do think he cuts too much weight, or at least looks like he does.  Not the best message to the rest of the state.

The whole cutting weight thing is kind of irritating. I played soccer my senior year and weighed around 147. I cut down to 125 for wrestling and was probably the second strongest wrestler next to Jake Buchenberger of Trinity, who beat me in the semis. It wasn't so much about starving myself as it was portion control, eating select foods, and running about 4 miles at night before I went to bed after practice. If kids eat tuna, grilled chicken breast, baked fish, etc, and drink water, skim milk etc. it is healthy. Now when I went to college and wrestled for Cumberland, cutting down to 125 was a bit much. I was too weak to compete and think that i weighed around 133 the next day. Cutting weight to a point can be healthy, just have limits. Don't lose too much muscle when you cut or it is pointless. Everybody cut weight back in the day, today kids are softer for the most part. If Fahy cuts weight and is the strongest in his class, don't pan his efforts. If he starts getting sick and malnourished then be concerned and talk to him.

Alot of people would argue that he only deserves to be a 2 time state champion.

in my opinion sullivan could have been a hell of a wrestler and a 4 timer for sure but he lost his edge and people stopped getting all worked up over the name and just started to wrestle