• myron bradbury
    • dusty brown
    • jacob bradford
    • matt zarth
    • aaron carr
    • Ryan Kelly
    • Ryan Harlow

ok babe, no need to get mad...

i do believe that someone could be able to get mow, even if they did not win a state title. although it would be very hard to make a case for them, i mean if you have someone like fahy walk through state, how would you say someone else, who didnt win state would deserve it over him?

I want make clear i believe Davis is as equally deserving as any canidate but since he won I am gonna make cases for 5 other wrestlers. These 5 are in no particular order....Matt Zarth 3x state champ and has never won OW he deserves one for his career. Luke Ervin had the best tournament against one of the toughest draws. John Fahy gave up nothing but escapes and won every match with ease. Made highley ranked wrestlers looks silly. Myron Bradbury gave up one total point in 5 matches while pinning 4 opponents and piched a shut out in the finals dominating from every position. Brad Hitchings dominated even tho looking sloppy with technique at times. One of the best high school seasons in KY history considering his 5th place beast finish as a junior. Higher than ruschell and murton as seniors. Congrats to courtney on a great career but he got one last year, lets share the wealth!

she thinks it should be given to whoever shows up and wrestles the best at a tournament...but by what criteria does that mean? does that mean who beat the best kids? who dominated the most? who pulled the most upsets? or someone who may have no won his weight, but still wrestled good matches?

all great cases as well 12345

I want make clear i believe Davis is as equally deserving as any canidate but since he won I am gonna make cases for 5 other wrestlers. These 5 are in no particular order....Matt Zarth 3x state champ and has never won OW he deserves one for his career. Luke Ervin had the best tournament against one of the toughest draws. John Fahy gave up nothing but escapes and won every match with ease. Made highley ranked wrestlers looks silly. Myron Bradbury gave up one total point in 5 matches while pinning 4 opponents and piched a shut out in the finals dominating from every position. Brad Hitchings dominated even tho looking sloppy with technique at times. One of the best high school seasons in KY history considering his 5th place beast finish as a junior. Higher than ruschell and murton as seniors. Congrats to courtney on a great career but he got one last year, lets share the wealth!

haha lets share the wealth i bet thats not what he was thinking lol

she thinks it should be given to whoever shows up and wrestles the best at a tournament...but by what criteria does that mean? does that mean who beat the best kids? who dominated the most? who pulled the most upsets? or someone who may have no won his weight, but still wrestled good matches?

all great cases as well 12345

ok thanks 4 clearing that up 4 me

Ranger, picking the finals matches was not really all that tough.  It's ranking the ones below that that is more difficult.  I could have picked 3 or 4 of those finals that had #1 vs #2...maybe all 5.  It's rankings like Najee Calderon ranked 15th, places 6th, Bernard Ray ranked 2nd, DNP, and I'm sure there are more if I cared to look.  If a kid beat Calderon en route to the state finals, you'd say that was nothing...but the kid placed 6th.  That means more to me than what he was ranked prior to state.  I'd be more impressed looking at a bracket and saying "this kid had to beat the guy that placed 2nd, 3rd, & 5th."  I don't care if those guys were ranked or not.  They were the best on that given day.

Nothing against Calderon, I've heard lots of good things about him and he will be highly ranked next season, but I guarantee you 99 out of 100 times any 160 in the bracket would take the match against Calderon over Ray.  I could go back over some brackets through the years and find some puds who squeaked through the consolation bracket while some very tough kids beat each other out and didn't place. 

Nothing against Calderon, I've heard lots of good things about him and he will be highly ranked next season, but I guarantee you 99 out of 100 times any 160 in the bracket would take the match against Calderon over Ray.  I could go back over some brackets through the years and find some puds who squeaked through the consolation bracket while some very tough kids beat each other out and didn't place. 

Probably so, but kids get hot at the right time and just because "any 160 in the bracket" would take that match, doesn't mean it would be the right choice.  Let's try another example then I give.  Last year at 135, Davis was ranked 4th.  He beat #1 ranked Dusty Brown handily.  In that case, who would you rather face...the kid ranked higher or the kid that finished higher?  I swear this is not a trick question.  

Probably so, but kids get hot at the right time and just because "any 160 in the bracket" would take that match, doesn't mean it would be the right choice.  Let's try another example then I give.  Last year at 140, Davis was ranked 4th.  He beat #1 ranked Dusty Brown handily.  In that case, who would you rather face...the kid ranked higher or the kid that finished higher?  I swear this is not a trick question.  

I thought the Larue kid was #1?

Probably so, but kids get hot at the right time and just because "any 160 in the bracket" would take that match, doesn't mean it would be the right choice.  Let's try another example then I give.  Last year at 140, Davis was ranked 4th.  He beat #1 ranked Dusty Brown handily.  In that case, who would you rather face...the kid ranked higher or the kid that finished higher?  I swear this is not a trick question.  

davis was 135 last year

Probably so, but kids get hot at the right time and just because "any 160 in the bracket" would take that match, doesn't mean it would be the right choice.  Let's try another example then I give.  Last year at 135, Davis was ranked 4th.  He beat #1 ranked Dusty Brown handily.  In that case, who would you rather face...the kid ranked higher or the kid that finished higher?  I swear this is not a trick question.  

I agree, but those are 2 closely ranked kids.  The top 4 were pretty close in that weight last year.  I thought your point was regarding a "lowly" ranked wrestler who got hot.

Hey pioneer, if you like the guy who beats the highest finishers, then I think it has to go to Luke Ervin.  He beat Slone (2nd), Johnson (3rd), and Lampe (4th).  That likely doesn't happen too often.  Especially one of them being the defending state champ.

I do think that means more than rankings.  I think it's safe to say Ervin did have the hardest way to go as others are trying to point out on this thread.  I still think Davis was MOW by virtue of beating Shotwell who I feel is a better wrestler than the 3 you mentioned...but they are all 3 very tough as well.  I just was most impressed with Davis.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I don't get a vote.