Sign in to follow this  
MrClean

Let's hear it for 2009 Most Outstanding Wrestler

Justin Davis now a two time State Champ has indeed made wrestling in Kentucky more exciting. Yes there are probably wrestlers with more career wins and state championships. But Justin has only wrestled 3 years, placing 4th the first year and following up with state championships the next two years. Just consider what he might have accomplished if he had started wrestling in elementart or middle school like most of the young men that wrestle at state.

Justin makes his matches exciting and always leaves us something to talk about one way or another. Some people don't like his style or attitude. But most people that go to the trouble to get to know him love and respect him for his hard work and dedication. I congratulate Justin and wish him good luck for a happy and prosperous future in college!

I'm going to miss J.D. Wrestling in KY will be less fun without him there. It's wonderful that he was voted MOW. This is a kid that worked his butt off. This year in particular, everyone thought he was done when he found out he had broken his wrist playing football. But he refused to let his season be over. Then, at State, he seemed as if he might have the flu. He felt terrible Thursday and Friday. Still, he overcame. Many other great wrestlers were State champs, but no one contributed the excitement J.D. did.

I can't see why anyone would not like his style.  Everyone had difficulty taking him down, and that was his whole game.  That kid's slide by was hit from like two feet off the ground.  He explodes into everyshot...with skills like his, who needs to work on a top game???

I'm not trying to take anything away from Justin or hinder the magnitude of his accomplishments and his success at all; but I really hate the fact that he was so successful being as one-dimensional as he was. I mean I'll give it to him, his neutral game was amazing, but he just couldn't do anything on top! I wont sit here and say that he got lucky throughout the tournament, because he didn't. You don't luckily win state and the MOW, but I will say that if he would have happened to got hit with a peterson or head carry on top and gotten pinned, I don't think it would have shocked the state very much.

Anyways, great job JD! Congratulations on an amazing carreer! You've given some kids who start wrestling late hope that they could be successful!

I agree that he's one-dimensional, but when you are that far ahead of everyone in that facet of wrestling, why switch?  I mean you may not be able to call him the greatest in the history of Kentucky, but down the line we may be able to argue that he was among the best in neutral position, which to win state twice, was certainly all he needed.

absolutley he is amazing on his feet and has an almost unstoppable standup if no one can take you down or stop your take downs and no one can hold you down you dont need to be good on top take em down and let em up just like he does choose bottom get out start all over. they choose down let em up start all over.

if you look at the best matches they are decided in the neutral position. (zarth and osborne)

and even if everyone knows whats coming they still cant stop it. i garuntee you isaac thomas knew that duck under was coming it didnt matter. just like last year matt green everyone knew he was gunna shoot a single to a double , it didnt matter he won state with it.

he may be one deminsional but you cant stop that one deminsion

I agree if you can get off bottom and are a stud on your feet you are not going to lose because you aren't going to be on bottom and on you will never be on top. For the most part college wrestling is decided by neutral. Brent Metcalf is the best example. Other than escapes the only points he really gives up is reversals.

Nice job Justin you earned M.O.W. and don't let anyone feel like you did not deserve it. :wink: