powerhalf

State Champ Predictions

and he only beat scaggs the first time cause a penalty point but if you think he can win then thats ur opinion

If memory serves me right, he won by 2.  I don't recall a penalty point, but I'll take your word for it.  That's a point.  I didn't say he would win it, but that he has the ability to win.  I know both wrestlers personally and have no preference of one over the other.  Scaggs probaby has a better shot than Austin, but on a great day he could make a run at it.  Bidner and Burroughs as well.  I will enjoy watching this weight class.  Should be highly entertaining.

pin2win you must be related to him cause he has no chance with bourroghs binder or scaggs

There is a Pin2Win but he wasn't commenting on the 70lbs class.  And no...not related.

Guest bloodsweattears

First off, I'd like to remind everyone, including myself that we ARE talking about children here.  That being said, I just don't see Wiley winning the 75 lb weight class.  His problem is that he is too cocky.  That can be a good thing, as half of this game is mental.  However, he seems a bit full of himself and seems like he is being touted as the best by all of Conner's parents.  He is the ultimate prima dona and I'd be surprised if he pulls out a close match.  Changing singlets for a championship match....at age 10 or 11???? Come on.  That screams egotistical.  I hope he does well, but I wonder how his mental makeup will be if he comes across a tough opponent. 

first off dereck wiley is not cocky his dad told me he  hates cockieness so he is far from cocky and i mean changing singlets for a championship match cmon man u think thats cocky dude people have ky singlets and ohio singlets and just all differnt kinds and i myself when i go to these big national tournys kids are changing singlets every match

bloodsweettears,

You couldn't be more wrong! He is too cocky?? Are you serious? You obviously don't know anything about the kid or his father... His dad would beat him within an inch of his life if Derek ever came off as being cocky or was arrogant. That is his dad's biggest annoyance. He hates it. Derek is good, so of course everyone is going to think he is the best, esp all of the Conner parents. He is Conner's only returning placer and he is in the 5th grade.

There isn't a 10 year old in this area that puts in the time, effort and dedication he does. I promise you that! Practice with the middle school team 4 days a week, wrestles middle school every Saturday then wrestle CYW every Sunday where he hasn't lost more than two times in two years. And you would be surprised if he won a close match??? Did you miss the match against Erdman?? He got a takedown with 15 sec to go to win, but I guess that isn't close enough for ya is it?

Oh and the singlet thing....He is 10 and Derek buys those singlet with the money he saves or makes so when he ask his coach if he can wear his new singlet for the finals why not? I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it to the semi's and the state finals and he wears two different singlets for both...

But oh well

First off, I'd like to remind everyone, including myself that we ARE talking about children here.  That being said, I just don't see Wiley winning the 75 lb weight class.  His problem is that he is too cocky.  That can be a good thing, as half of this game is mental.  However, he seems a bit full of himself and seems like he is being touted as the best by all of Conner's parents.  He is the ultimate prima dona and I'd be surprised if he pulls out a close match.  Changing singlets for a championship match....at age 10 or 11???? Come on.  That screams egotistical.  I hope he does well, but I wonder how his mental makeup will be if he comes across a tough opponent. 

Your a joke. He is ten tell me how a ten year old is a prima dona or how a ten year old prima dona carries themselves. The kid works hard at home to earn his singlets and wears them with pride. Besides all wrestlers have championship singlets these days. I don't think I have been to a tournament this year were the kid wore the same singlet in the finals that he did during the tournament. Sounds like you just don't have any appreciation for a good wrestler. The kid works harder then any ten year old I have ever meet. Don't be jealous. If you don't like how Wiley acts then train someone to stop him......good luck with that by the way. In the process grow up and stop bashing a ten year old. Your either a kid or adult who has a twelve year old mentality.

Derek's an extremely nice kid and his father is a class act.  And I'm not a part of the Conner wrestling family.  My son wants a singlet for finals matches as well.  I don't have a problem with it, but his coach won't allow it.  From the kids point of view, it's not cocky...they just want to wear a cool looking singlet.  He may at first come across as cocky but I've found he's actually sort of shy until he gets to know you.

who r the good wrestlers at 70pounds beside burroughs

Bidner-Fern Creek-One of the favorites

Scaggs-Turkeyfoot-One of the favorites as well

Austin-Gray-Pretty solid

Hill-Twenhofel-This kid might be able to do something.  He wrestled mostly at 75 lbs this year.  He really in my opinion under acheived at Regionals.

That statement about Wiley was uncalled for.Confident does not mean cocky.Its very hard for these kids to play and talk to other wrestlers and then go and give everything they have to beat them.I know AJ started talking to Derek some this year and he didn't know how nice of a kid he really was.I know some people think AJ is cocky.He wears a mohawk and is very intense on the mat,but I have always told him when he walks on the mat he has to turn a switch to get the things he has worked so hard for.When its over he might even ask the kid he wrestled to come over to our house.As for the singlet thing, that is kids just wanting to express their self (stick out ,be differant).the decision to wear another singlet should rest mainly with the coach,I know AJ would like to wear his KENTUCKY singlet sometimes,but some of his coaches said he needs to show pride for his team.I understand the coaches and the wrestlers thoughts.Its really not that big of a deal to bash a kid for.That being said good luck Derek.

I known Derek for a couple of years him and my son were drill partners. That boy trains hard I don't think people realize what he puts in the practice room. As far as cocky goes he is not but if he was what's wrong with that. I met Mark Coleman at a wrestling camp when i was in high school and thought he was the cockiest guy in world. What's wrong with knowing your good. The Wileys are a religious family and his dad wouldn't put up with Derek acting like that. Keep up the good work Derek it looks like it's paying off. It looks like you got some haters out there. Keep doing what your doing and will you will the next big thing coming out of Kentucky.

i would never think binder was cocky he is all class but just a physical wrestler there is a big difference in being dirty and being physical if u ask me hese the one to beat

I really hate to reply to chatter on this forum.  Most of it is based on the personal interest of the parents and even the kids themselves playing with each other, mind games.  It is childish at best, the wrester's wrestling ability should do their talking and no one else.  However, some of this is just malicious toward my wrestler.  "Dirty" I have coached Derek for the past four years and spent plenty of time with him as a young boy learing to become a man.  He has strength and weakness typical of kids his age.  He escalates with the intensity of the match but has never been dirty.  I will say this to you and please take this personally, I intend it to be toward you!  You are a low person and need to check yourself and your own morals before you start bashing a kid and calling them out as dirty.  Derek is a Brutally Aggressive Grappler Uninhibited By Adversity(BAGUBA)....  Old schoolers know and respect what that is.  

You are the guy making our sport for sissy boys and wimps.... the one who would cry out in the state finals to keep from getting pinned... or just another one of Derek's victims with a bad taste in his mouth at the very least.

Am I making assumptions that are not true?  How do you like it?  

Now, as far as Ego, Cocky, Arrogant.... who cares?  Not me. It is called self confidence and pride by your friends but then you are not a friend so you will see it as you do.  At any rate, check the top wrestlers out in our state.  You will find all these characteristics in them.  It was a key factor to being the dominant wrestler in their weight class and achieving the success level they had.  

Now that I am down on your level I just want to make sure any others reading this understand that the thing pissing me off here is the comment about being Derek being dirty.  It is slander and the source should be understood before it can be taken seriously by anyone.  Where does that come from and who is saying this?  If you are an adult and would like to discuss something on a level of inappropriate behavior on the mat we have refs for that but feel free to engage me as well.  

Franklin Wolnitzek

Head Coach

Cougar Youth Wresting

Alright... Usually I do not see the need to get on public internet forums and voice my opinions on other wrestlers or what not. But after being told what was being said I felt the need to get on here and defend my 10 YEAR OLD wrestler. Note, he is only 10.

I am Zack Smith, Derek's Middle School wrestling coach. First I want to give you my take on the singlet incident. Derek loves his singlets like many of us when we were 10 loved our favorite football, baseball glove, or basketball. He gets singlets for christmas from his dad. This is what he wants and he has a collection of them. Obviously you have never been to a big national tournament where you see kids exchanging singlets like there going out of style and wearing them in the finals, while they are suppose to be representing their state. Hell, I remember going up to Jeff Jordan's my sophmore year and kids exchanging North Carolina singlets with Ohio singlets and then them kids wearing those same exact singlets for the finals of like Fargo or Tournament of Champions. I always had an alternative finals singlet when I was in high school. I understand most old school coaches frawn upon singlet changes but talk to Mr. Badida, who is about as old school as you can get, and he'll tell ya, why does it matter?? If the kid wants to do it let him, he is a kid. But back to what I was saying, Derek came up to me and asked me if he beats Erdmen can he wear his new singlet in the finals. What was I suppose to say, "NO". Your crazy, I told him "Hell yeah" now first lets go out there and beat Erdmen. He lived up to his end of the deal so I had to live up to mine. I do not see anything wrong with it, and I can assure you that if he makes it to the semi's or the final's at state he will be wearing what ever singlet he wants and I will encourage that.

Next Derek and his attitude. A big saying that I love to preach in the wrestling room and outside the room is, "the harder you work the harder it is to lose". I must say Derek has completely bought into that statement. He bust his butt in the wrestling room and in the off season and it shows on the mat. Him along with a few others makes all the time I spend coaching worth it. He is always listening, working hard, and trying to get better. He is not the least bit cocky, and if he every became that way his dad would quickly put an end to it. He called me up the other night and asked me if I thought he was good enough to win state. For this only being my second year as a coach, and to have a kid who I really enjoy call me up and ask me if I think he could win state shows how humble this kid is at such a young age. (By the way I told him I think he can)  Just ask Mr. Wolnitzek who has spent countless practices and mat time with Derek, Derek knows he is good how could he not. He has completely dominated CWY which is no easy task and he has not lost to the same kid EVER more than once. Anytime someone has beat Derek with the exception of Sean Fausz, Derek has laid it on them the next time and the next time and the next time. Still after all the success he has had he has yet to let it affect his attitude, and his work ethic.

Anyways I have said enough, on saturday all the talk goes out the windown and the best kid will win. Wish everyone a safe trip down to state and "LETS...GET IT ON!"

Well said.  Put up or shut up! Go big or go home!  All of you Derek Wiley haters.  If you are scared, just say your scared.  That's all folks! 

Good luck this weekend Derek.  I don't coach you, but we all wish we had 14 just like you.     

Guest bloodsweattears

He may be a nice kid and all, but when he wrestles, he acts like he is the stuff.  Again, nothing wrong with being confident, but he wreaks of cockiness.  Open your eyes Conner parents and realize that you are doing a disservice to this kid by allowing his ego to grow.  Why haven't we seen Conner at any of the NKAC events?  Why does Conner not wrestle us, Turkeyfoot and other Kenton County schools?  If Wiley is your top dawg, then your program needs to build on him.  Use him as an example of all that hard work pays off.  However, you need to keep his head in check. 

I just read some more of your post BST...What is your problem with Conner?? Grow a pair and act like a man quit talking s*** on an internet forum and adress your self to Mr. Wolnetzek, Mr. Wiley, and Mr. Smith if you really got a problem. I'm sure they can work out your problem with ya. I assume your from the northern kentucky area and if I had to guess Wiley whooped up on your boy or your boy's friend and thats where all the anger comes from. But like I said you got a problem with Derek go talk to his coaches and dad they'll figure something out for ya...In the mean time grow up

He may be a nice kid and all, but when he wrestles, he acts like he is the stuff.  Again, nothing wrong with being confident, but he wreaks of cockiness.  Open your eyes Conner parents and realize that you are doing a disservice to this kid by allowing his ego to grow.  Why haven't we seen Conner at any of the NKAC events?  Why does Conner not wrestle us, Turkeyfoot and other Kenton County schools?  If Wiley is your top dawg, then your program needs to build on him.  Use him as an example of all that hard work pays off.  However, you need to keep his head in check. 

Twenhofel wrestled Conner 3 times this year, not counting regions.  So you're from SV or Woodland?