Sign in to follow this  
HWT

Missouri Valley Open

Anyone else from KY going to this tournament? I think I am going to make the trip up to wrestle in it at heavyweight.

Elliott Martin had his best showing yet this weekend at the Missouri Valley Open. He pinned senior and 2x all american Billy Exline of Missouri Valley who is ranked second in the nation, and won a major decision over Jose Hernandez of Menlo who is ranked 3rd in the nation. He placed 3rd in the tournament winning a 9-3 decision over an Oklahoma University redshirt freshman (not sure of his name). 

Martin is not ranked right now, but if he's not redshirting I would imagine wins over #7 Exline and #4 Hernandez would put him in the rankings.  New NAIA rankings come out tomorrow, so we'll see!

Martin is not ranked right now, but if he's not redshirting I would imagine wins over #7 Exline and #4 Hernandez would put him in the rankings.  New NAIA rankings come out tomorrow, so we'll see!

He actually only wrestled Exline at this tournament, but that's still an impressive win and tournament.  Here's a link to brackets: http://www.moval.edu/athletics/wrestlingm/files/2009_mvc_open.pdf

Elliott Martin had his best showing yet this weekend at the Missouri Valley Open. He pinned senior and 2x all american Billy Exline of Missouri Valley who is ranked second in the nation, and won a major decision over Jose Hernandez of Menlo who is ranked 3rd in the nation. He placed 3rd in the tournament winning a 9-3 decision over an Oklahoma University redshirt freshman (not sure of his name).   

The Redshirt from OU is Andrew Sartain, who is behind 7th ranked Joey Fio in D1.

He actually only wrestled Exline at this tournament, but that's still an impressive win and tournament.  Here's a link to brackets: http://www.moval.edu/athletics/wrestlingm/files/2009_mvc_open.pdf

The guy Elliott beat in the consolation semis was Sam Fragoza, not Hernandez. He isn't ranked in NAIA because he just transferred to cal state baptist from fresno state where he placed third at university open nationals and was a freestyle all-american. He was also an nhsca senior national champion in high school, Elliott beat him 13-6...

wow, so it went from elliot martin beating the number two ranked, and number 7 ranked guy, to him beating the number 7 ranked guy only, not to him not beating either? this is why you need to check your sources before you post things.

wow, so it went from elliot martin beating the number two ranked, and number 7 ranked guy, to him beating the number 7 ranked guy only, not to him not beating either? this is why you need to check your sources before you post things.

ummm, exline has been ranked second all year, he was moved down two 7th in the ranking just released, so is elliott's win somehow less impressive to you now? And the other guy is not ranked yet only because he just transferred from D1.

no thats not it, i actually read this wrong anyway. i read it as he didnt even wrestle exline, but as i reread it, i see that he did. sorry for the mixup.