Sign in to follow this  
Idatedurmom

Tates Creek Tourney

Another BS Kentucky tournament.  Get here early, weigh in, eat and wait, wait, and wait. 11 am and still no wrestling. Same old BS. Ky wrestling does not move forwrad it moves high speed reverse. Hand written seedng, no preparation. Pancake breakfast and now pizza lunch still no wrestling. A disgrace, nothing more nothing less. In Ky we are fed garbage and we accept it.          I know running a tourney is hard work, I shouldn't bash underpaid coaches, do it myself. Come people, attack me.

No bashing here, you're exactly right. With the proper planning things can run smoothly. It does take a ton of work to get these tournaments up and running, unfortunately it's usually done by only a few people. My suggestion would be to plan a throughly as possibly and don't miss the details. Like a high speed printer so you're not waiting an hour for bout sheets to print. It is the little details that make things run smoothly.

Cape Girardeau Missouri tiger classic is the best organized tourny ive ever been to. It goes at a great pace and has some very good schools there. Great programs you can buy, kinda like the State Tourny sells.  Its a 2 day Tourny but you get to weigh in friday night insted of saturday morning.

I talked to someone at TC and they said that a couple of schools brought their JV teams as well, so they had to reseed and had a couple of 32 man brackets. I guess somethings you just can't plan for.

Any tournament I have seen in Indiana starts on time...you can set your watch to it.  Every tournament except the state tournament, starts late and is often unorganized.  Perhaps Ky should outsource to some Indiana schools to run their tournaments.  It can be highly frustrating.

Having said that, it is great that there are multiple tournaments every weekend as I have seen Kentucky wrestling continue to improve significantly so better to have a late start than no start at all.

On a positive note, I was at the Fern Creek middle school tournament (Ranger jr stepping up this weekend) today and they did a very good job.  Not sure how many kids were there, but they added 45, 50, 55, 60, and 65 pounds to the middle school weights and most were nearly full 16 man brackets.  We started at 8:45 (scheduled for 9:00) and with a few breaks, face off, helping clean up and roll mats, and awards presentation we were on the bus headed home before 6:00.  It wasn't without issues (officials, a couple of kids with long waits), but for the size of the event it went very well.  Great competition as well.

I don't mean to be the heavy, but seriously. There is always an excuse, there is always a reason why the tournament started late in KENTUCKY! This time a team unexpectedly brought their JV team. Tell them TOO BAD! Run the tournament just like they do in Ohio and Indiana. Give the teams rules and guidelines beforehand and if they don't adhere, bye-bye, take your kids home!

If wrestling is supposed to start at 10am, then start it at 10am, not 11:15am. If the finals are supposed to start at 7pm, start them at 7, not 9pm. Weigh-ins at 8 am and wrestling wraps up at 11pm. 15 hours is too long. Injuries occur when kids are fatigued.

I am tired of the bleeding hearts justifying this behavior. I don't know how many times I've heard "ah, just let the kids wrestle, do it for the kids, it's all about letting them learn". Well this is what I suggest we tell the kids. "Kids, if life there are time commitments. If your boss says work starts at 10am, well you better be ready at 10am or you'll be jobless". Teach kids by example!

I would just love to see a Kentucky tournament, besides the KHSAA,  start on time and end on time. Just one!  This kind of stuff weakens Ky wrestling more so than anything else.

How many Kentucky teams go to Indiana and Ohio to wrestle on a weekly basis? Alot! How many Indiana and Ohio teams come into Kentucky and wrestle in our tournaments? I'm not sure, but I would suggest very very very very very very few. I wonder why?

Coaches, please start a tournament on time out of consideration of the fans, families and athletes. What time do you tell your wrestlers practice starts each day? What would you coaches do if your wrestlers always showed to practice one hour late everyday? What do you think fans do when they know wrestling never starts on time? I suspect many just don't come at all.

Oh yea, thanks for offering the tournament, I realize a tremendous amount of time, effort and dedication was required. Once the tournament started it ran very smoothly and nice. It did seem to be structurally organized throughout the day. Maybe next year it can start on time and it would be a perfect tournament. 

Tates Creek 1st

Campbell Co. 2nd

McCreary Central 3rd

The reason the tournament started late was only 9 of the 20 teams sent out seeding information and those who didn't got upset about their kids seed so all 14 weight classes were redrawn. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way the tournament was run, it is up to the coaches to get their information in, in a timely manner or just let the kids get drawn in. In fact our team loves the TCI because everyone gets to wrestle. Yes, tournaments should start on time, but blaming the tournament organizer in this case is wrong. The livelihood of tournaments depend on getting teams in year after year and sometimes you have to acquiese to the demands of some coaches so that they return year after year.

NO! Acquiese no one if it means every single participate in the tournament has to suffer.

Johnny wrestles everyday and he loves the sport. Unfortunately, everytime Johnny wrestles he looks into a half nelson and gets pinned. But, don't tell Johnny to look the other way because you might upset him and he may not come out the next day. Afterall, we love seeing Johnny wrestle.

HEY JOHNNY, LOOK THE OTHER WAY KID! OH NO, JOHNNY IS CRYING. JOHNNY, SUCK IT UP KID, YOU'LL LIKE THE SPORT BETTER WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE RULES.  HOPE TO SEE YOU TOMORROW.

NO! Acquiese no one if it means every single participate in the tournament has to suffer.

Johnny wrestles everyday and he loves the sport. Unfortunately, everytime Johnny wrestles he looks into a half nelson and gets pinned. But, don't tell Johnny to look the other way because you might upset him and he may not come out the next day. Afterall, we love seeing Johnny wrestle.

HEY JOHNNY, LOOK THE OTHER WAY KID! OH NO, JOHNNY IS CRYING. JOHNNY, SUCK IT UP KID, YOU'LL LIKE THE SPORT BETTER WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE RULES.  HOPE TO SEE YOU TOMORROW.

i dont know who you are but you arent making any sense at all. and as far as the tournament goes. last year the tci was over and i cleaned up and was home for supper at 7. thats what happens when teams actually send in records, and attend to the coaches meetings. there are night before seeding meetings for exactly this reason.

On a positive note, I was at the Fern Creek middle school tournament (Ranger jr stepping up this weekend) today and they did a very good job.  Not sure how many kids were there, but they added 45, 50, 55, 60, and 65 pounds to the middle school weights and most were nearly full 16 man brackets.  We started at 8:45 (scheduled for 9:00) and with a few breaks, face off, helping clean up and roll mats, and awards presentation we were on the bus headed home before 6:00.  It wasn't without issues (officials, a couple of kids with long waits), but for the size of the event it went very well.  Great competition as well.

Did ranger jr. get first then?

i dont know who you are but you arent making any sense at all. and as far as the tournament goes. last year the tci was over and i cleaned up and was home for supper at 7. thats what happens when teams actually send in records, and attend to the coaches meetings. there are night before seeding meetings for exactly this reason.

Hey tc125 I'm glad you got out last year at 7, this year you got out after midnight, no doubt. It amazes me that people actually try to defend yesterday's tournament. Wrestling is all about discipline. Kids have to train hard, diet, and make very PRECISE criteria. Weight descent plans are precise to the 100th of a pound, weighs in are to the 10th of a pound. The injury time is precise, 90 seconds. Most aspects about this sport are exact and precise. In Ohio and Indiana, the start times are exact and precise. In Ky, the start time variance is measured in "hours". There is always a reason, always an excuse. I'm just tired of all the excuses. I realize alot of time and effort are put into tournaments, blah, blah, blah. I go to tournaments in Ohio every week and I know if I arrive at 9:01am I just missed 1 minute of wrestling.

WHY WHY WHY can't Ky at least start on time. Ky is known for it's great basketball. I wonder if a high school basketball team starts ALL of their games 1-2 hours late everytime they play. I wonder what their attendance would be week after week?

People talk that we need to acquiesce the coaches, WHAT ABOUT THE FANS? Acquiese me, acquiesce the people who pay to attend, who pay to eat concessions, who cheer loudly and make for a spirited environment.

For those teams who didn't follow the rules, say GOOD BYE. Very simple. If they complain about getting kicked out then send them to an Ohio tournament, where they will get kicked out there as well. Quit allowing a few coaches to bring down the host of a tournament. It is Tates Creeks fault only because they tolerated insubordination from other coaches. Quit tolerating a few loser coaches who screw up what could have been an awesome tournament.

What has happened to Ryle over the years? I believe the only tournament Ryle attends in Kentucky in their very own tournament. They didn't even attend the NKAC! Why, because it's in Kentucky. They choose to go to an Ohio tournament rather than attend a mandatory Ky tournament. Coach Ruschell is a no BS coach. He doesn't put up with BS from his kids or Ky coaches who don't start on time.

People can attack me if they want and say I pick on Ky teams who are trying to make things better. But before you attack me, ask why are the elite Ky teams always leaving our state week after week? Where is Ryle week after week. They are in Ohio wrestling 5 matches and home by dinner. Coach Ruschell doesn't like to miss dinner, lol.

idatedurmom you are a complete whiner.  my son wrestled in a ryle summer tournament a few years back that didn't start on time.  it was 1 or 2 hours late.  so they are not perfect either.  the elite teams go out of state for better competition.  whether or not those tournaments are ran better is beside the point.  you are trying to use that to boost your argument against tournaments being ran poorly in this state and you sound ignorant.  i'm sure you already have a comeback for this because you sure do like to talk, but if you are so perfect could you please give us all detailed "precise & perfect" instructions on how to run a perfect tournament???  we all want to know.  if wrestling in this state is so beneath you and your perfect standards please do us all a favor and move to a more perfect state where you wont be bothered with the imperfections of this state.  we are all trying.  and you are just whinning and trying to tear people down.

we are all eagerly awaiting your perfect reply.

This has always been a problem at the TCI.  To many teams, allowing JV wrestlers in the tourney and making brackets larger than needed.  Seeding meeting on Thursday/Friday.  Then re-seeding on Saturday morning.

These are simple things to solve.  

1.  Seeding meeting before day of tourney and stick with it.  If a coach does not send in his seeds then they don't get seeded.  Even if a coach does not send in his wrestlers many times other coaches know the kid.  Example: if Woodford does not send in seed info.  Every coach knows that Courtney should be seeded 1st. Not rocket science.

2.  Limit the number of teams, 10-12 teams should be plenty. This allows for some overflow.  Teams without a full lineup.  Yes there may be a 16 man bracket or two but a whole lot less matches.

3.  Only allow JV wrestlers in the tourney if there is not a full 8 man bracket.  No exceptions.

4.  The one thing I like about the weigh ins in Ohio.  They set a time 8-9.  As soon as your team shows up you weigh in. No weight loss at the school.  If your team shows up at 8:59 you weigh in at that time. Weigh ins close at 9:00.  This allows teams to get there and plan for delays.  

5.  If you show up late your bus better have broken down or your team is out.

I ran Region 6 tourney 2 years ago by myself.  No assistant coach and only 2 sets of parents to help.  I hired a competent score keeper.  Held a seeding meeting day before.  all was set.  I was sitting in AppleBee's at by 9:00. After cleaning up and returning mats.  All this with only 6 wrestlers.

It can be done with little effort and a whole lot of planning.  The TCI has been held for over 10 years they should have it right by now.

bulldog-leader it has not always been a problem.  maybe you weren't there or haven't read all the posts but it was done very early last year.  i agree with your recommendations and thank you for providing constructive criticism.  but lets get the facts straight.  

Holmes was one of the teams that failed to send in any information and then wanted their kids seeded.

and isn't bulldog-leader from holmes?  isn't that always the case that the ones who complain the most are the ones who either won't help fix things or CAUSE the problem themselves!!!

Holmes was one of the teams that failed to send in any information and then wanted their kids seeded.

the biggest team that messed things up the most was cambell county. their coach didnt even send a lineup. we didnt know if it was jv or varisity wrestling. and then they got their and wanted ALL their kids seeded.