Sign in to follow this  
HWT

Murray State Wrestling Club

its official, another guy and myself have started a wrestling club at Murray State University in western Kentucky. We have about 9 guys interested in wrestling and will start practice in January. Our coach is Dr. Joe DeBella, an amazing individual who has sent wrestlers to many levels after high school. We wont have a real schedule until next season. As for now we will try to enter some open tournaments and wrestle in some AAU/USA tournaments. I will also be contacting some local colleges with programs to set up possible dual meets. If any one has any suggestions on where i can find some tournaments that would be great. We start fundraising soon. We have a room in a building on campus that has some sections of mat in it. The guy who started it and myself both coach at Calloway County High ad Middle School. If there is anyone at any other college/university who would like help trying to establish a club team you can contact me by email at andrew.mccubbins@gmail.com.

There aren't a whole lot of open tournaments left in the season, the second semester is primarily invitationals and dual meets/tournaments.  However, keep your eyes open on themat.com and sites like that, because there are a few here and there.  There is an open at Millersville University, January 10, here's more information: http://www.millersvilleathletics.com/sports/2008/10/29/WREST_1029081901.aspx?path=wrestling.  Also, there is an open at Cumberland University (Lebanon, TN), January 17, click here and scroll down the schedule to find more information: http://www.cumberland.edu/athletics/menswrestling/wrestle_sched.html.

For next year, there are several open tournaments in the first semester.  We run one at University of the Cumberlands, the Patriot Open, that falls on the first weekend of November.  That may be a good place for you to start!  Good luck with the club team, if there's anything I can help with let me know.

Missouri Valley puts on an open tourney with some tough comp. I think it is the first weekend of Feb. Really good tourney and one of the last opens of the year.

If you got a club going I dont know why you all wouldn't look up tournaments on the NWCA website, i think thats it. They have tournaments every weekend and they are divided up into regions and all that. When you go to the tournaments and see how intense these clubs are with coaches, two teams, a full line up the whole nine yards. The year I wrestled for UK we had our regions at Grand Valley State in Michigan and Nationals were in Dallas Texas. The NWCA has fun raising ideas to help get you some money so look into that.