colonel130

Best Wrestling College in Kentucky

well its only between UoC and Cambellsville University and University of the Cumberlands beat CU twice and I think in every tournament. (But then again that was their first year).

I would say that U. of Cumberlands has the advantage for now. But I really like the program at Campbellsville, new and exciting.

Why dont we have more colleges offering wrestling?

What does it take to get a school to add wrestling?

What was it that made Campbellsville add wrestling?

Is it a strong alumni support, Title IX compliance, what makes it look good to a school?

We have some great candidates, Centre, Western, Eastern, Northern, Bellarmine, Morehead, Murray.

What about Kentucky and U of L. Both schools are in prestigious conferences that generate big revenues but dont offer wrestling. Im sure with the big monies they make off of basketball and football its not a money issue. Could they offer wrestling and compete as an independent? Could U of L be using the Big East as a stepping stone to the truly big boys conference, the Big Ten or ACC? Both conferences offer wrestling!

What would more collegiate wrestling do for the sport at the high school and youth levels?

Do we need to petition our politicians to get more collegiate wrestling?

U.K. did have a program back in the late 70's and was shut down (as so many programs were and are) by Title IX (Federal law that attempts to bring equality to the men's and women's programs at universities that get federal funds). I have heard that U.K. was ranked tenth in the nation when their program was canceled and that basically every team in the S.E.C. at that time (except for Vanderbilt) had a men's wrestling team.

To answer the question about why Campbellsville started their program it was simply to increase enrollment along with a deisre by some administraton and/or alumni to have a team. These small (and even some larger schools) have sports programs so that they can have more students. Ask any of these kids going to Comberland or Campbellsville and see how much scholarship money they receive for wrestling. Go on to the larger universities and ask say a baseball player or a girl's volleyball player if they have a "free" ride. It's just a fact of life and some of these coaches are great assets to their respective universities in that they get the kids to come and the university gets the money for tuition..etc.. Having said all of that, I will say that I am all for doing whatever it takes to give kids that want to compete at some collegiate level every chance possible to let them do that and I am impressed with both programs at Cumberland and Campbellsville.

Cumberland is going to be a great team this year with probably four wrestlers that could be preseason number 1's. Brad Cooper, Todd Allen, Ernie Fuller (I think that's his last name) that I know of. Campbellsville has had a great recruiting year to go along with a good core group of returning wrestlers Murton from Kentucky along with VA. state champ Michael Wade, OH 171 runner-up David Clemens and VMI transfer John Lowery (Walsh Jesuit alum) head up the recruiting class of 19 while Chris Seta will anchor the returning wrestlers. Cville lost perhaps their best wrestler in Scott Vaughn who transferred to D-1 Eastern Michigan.

Good Luck to both teams and I can't wait to see them wrestle.

You are absolutely correct it is Flinchum (I honestly did not know at the time that I posted). He's a really goood wrestler. I believe Choats has graduated and that leaves 125 open.

I agree that Cumberland has the best college wrestling program in Kentucky. It, also, saddens me that UK & U of L do not have wrestling programs. Other than doing away with Title IX (which won't happen), what can be done to save college wrestling programs?

EKU now has a club wrestling team. I think that if kids get involved with club teams for their schools... maybe the school will see there is potential and start a real team?

I think it will take more than a few years to surpass University of the Cumberlands.

They have a really deep line-up for the next 3 maybe 4 years.

im wiht mathound on this one coach wilder mite have left but coach medders is still a 4 time all american and a national champ and was an assistant coach for 3 years i think cambellsvilles gotta long way to go

:twisted: i got to meet coach medders and hes a pretty cool guy and he knows alot of stuff and he taught me some stuff. i think him and the team will be very successful this year and they are the best team in kentucky.

I'd be all for Centre College getting a wrestling program, mainly because I used to wrestle at Danville and a collegiate team in town would give the team the spark it definitely needs. I don't see it happening at Centre however; I've been to a couple of their football games, and they have a really good team, but there is absolutely NO fan support whatsoever. There would be just no interest.