Sign in to follow this  
iamthechamp07

wrestler with the most heart

Beat me to it byrddog. Jarvis has had the most heart that i have seen to play anysport, not just wrestle. He was pretty good on the football field and with someone his size it takes heart to be that good. He never gave up in any match, stuck through wrestling all year with that knee injury, didn't give up when he was 3rd string his freshman and sophomore year.

An former Valle coach told me about Bebop Smith.  He came in as a freshman 350 lbs. and lost 70 just to get down to heavyweight.  Every year since after football he came in at 320 and worked his tail off to get down to weight.  At regionals he got third.  He lost by 1 point his first match at state and then pinned his next 4 opponents, one of them in 16 seconds.  He lost in the consolation semi's, then pinned Rinestine, who pinned Croney(Smith's first match).  After 4 years Bebop proved himself and got 7th place. 

The group of kids with the most heart are the seniors who are not varsity because they cannot beat the underclassmen or fellow senior in front of them yet they still come to all the practices and push their varsity so they will be ready for state. 

The group of kids with the most heart are the seniors who are not varsity because they cannot beat the underclassmen or fellow senior in front of them yet they still come to all the practices and push their varsity so they will be ready for state. 

Singleleg, what a great comment! After all, even though wrestling is an individual sport, all these guys are part of a team. Over the years, I've seen boys on our team who weren't the best wrestler, but they were willing to help others on the team, and they kept working when they had no hope of even making it to State. And they cheered their younger teammates on. That takes a lot of class. At the same time, I've known a few boys -- and thankfully only a couple -- who were good wrestlers but so selfish and arrogant that I found myself rooting for their opponent, even though it would cost the team points!

I think Cody Proffitt has a lot of heart, he is a junior this year and it was his first year varsity, he was always under someone young but better, and he finally found a weight class where he could hang with the people t that weight (135) and he was only 1 match away from the stae tournament but he wrestled great. he never gives up, even though he is always on the losing end. we give out an award at Caldwell for this and it is called "True Grit" and i think this year he deserves it.